The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
88k5jimmy

CPP spindle/caliper mount issue?

Working on converting a 64 C10 w/GSI front suspension (full air ride) to disk brakes:

I installed stock height 71-72 CPP spindles (per GSI instructions for their front air ride) w/ECE 6-lug rotors (new), calipers (reman) and brake pads (new) from ECE. I'm having rubbing issues with the outside pad contacting the rotor and causing substantial drag (enough to use two hands to turn the rotor). The preload on the bearings is set correct and they spin freely without the pads installed. It's almost like the casting of the spindles where the calipers mount is keeping the calipers and pads from being centered over the rotor to not cause any drag.

Anybody else have issues like this? Iv'e made sure the pistons are retracted all the way in the calipers, tried switching pads, rotors, etc between sides and still get the same results. I feel with all new parts, there should be no drag on the rotors from the pads. There is more gap between the inner pad/rotor than outer pad/rotor.

I have not had a chance to use a set of calipers to measure the rotors and other parts but from the rough measurements I took with a tape measure, they don't appear to be far enough off to cause the issue I'm having.

Thanks
88k5jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Captmatt

Re: CPP spindle/caliper mount issue?

I recall having a issue with my CCP spindle and rotor. If I remember right, the spindle had some casting slag that interfered with the rotor mounting correctly. Easily fixed with some minor grinding . Second I seem to remember that my brake pads came out of the box with the adjustment sims attached. Removed the sim and all was good. No problems since. Good luck
Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
88k5jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmatt View Post
I recall having a issue with my CCP spindle and rotor. If I remember right, the spindle had some casting slag that interfered with the rotor mounting correctly. Easily fixed with some minor grinding . Second I seem to remember that my brake pads came out of the box with the adjustment sims attached. Removed the sim and all was good. No problems since. Good luck
Thanks. It seems the drivers side caliper is harder to slip into the mounting area of the spindle than the passenger side, regardless of which caliper I use. Not sure if there is something I can clearance there or not. I removed the outer pad shim and it freed up the drivers side more but there still is a little more contact with the outside pad/outside of the rotor than I think there should be with a new parts and the piston retracted all the way in the caliper.

Do you remember where the slag was on your spindle so I can compare with mine?
Old 11-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Captmatt

First a correction, I meant to say caliper not rotor in my post. I seem to recall that there was casting slag in the area of the rear mounting hole on the spindle. The slag was not allowing the caliper to mount correctly and was very tight as you described. I removed the pads and slowly reinstalled the caliper. Much easier to see what was going on with pads removed. As I'm writing this I'm thinking that it may have been the caliper that had the casting problem. I do remember that it was a easy fix. Go slow, you'll find it. Sorry my memory sucks. I also recall reading that other people had this same problem so unfortunately this is nothing new to the CPP stuff. But that's another topic ........
Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
88k5jimmy

Quote:
First a correction, I meant to say caliper not rotor in my post. I seem to recall that there was casting slag in the area of the rear mounting hole on the spindle. The slag was not allowing the caliper to mount correctly and was very tight as you described. I removed the pads and slowly reinstalled the caliper. Much easier to see what was going on with pads removed. As I'm writing this I'm thinking that it may have been the caliper that had the casting problem. I do remember that it was a easy fix. Go slow, you'll find it. Sorry my memory sucks. I also recall reading that other people had this same problem so unfortunately this is nothing new to the CPP stuff. But that's another topic ........
Thanks. That helps a bunch. The passenger side couldn't have gone together any smoother but the driver side is the complete opposite. Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely give it a shot.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
chris1044

Quote:
I had the same problem roughly 2+ years ago with my swap. IIRC I ended up grinding the caliper ears so they were both actually parallel - it was like one was way thicker than the other and the mating surfaces weren't even close to being parallel to one another. Before doing this, you'd get the caliper on and the outer pad was pulled hard into the outboard surface of the rotor.

Make sure you properly clip the brake lines as well - mine would rub on the upper control arms if left free to do what they wanted.
chris1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
88k5jimmy

Thanks for the replies. I ended up finding minor inconsistencies with the rotor thickness and pad thickness. Utilizing a caliper, I measured the rotors and pads and figured out the right combination to make the calipers not drag on the rotors. I also think the fact of taking them on and off about 10 times per side loosened them up enough to make the install smoother now.