The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Front suspension/steering special tools?

First time tear down to nuts and bolts, so I'm wondering what special tools are recommended to remove/install from the steering box down, coil springs etc. for the front suspension. This has a sway bar if it matters. Info. on types/brands appreciated. Thank you.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
Overdriven

Re: Front suspension/steering special tools?

You'll need a pickle fork/ball joint separator to separate the tie rods and ball joints from the spindles. Brand doesn't matter on these. A drill to drill out the rivets if they're original ball joints.

The other thing to consider is the spring. Generally a spring compressor is recommended but some vehicles you can just put a jack under the lower control arm and slowly lower it until the spring is uncompressed. I haven't looked into this with our trucks but if you can just use the jack method it's still recommended that you use a chain through the spring and attached to the truck to keep it from flying out, just in case. Or, if you're replacing the spring you can cut the spring while installed to release some pressure. When cutting a spring I'd still run a chain through it to be safe and recommend using a torch to keep yourself clear. A Sawzall could be kicked by the spring and something like a cutoff wheel puts flesh way to close the spring which has lots of energy just waiting to be released.

I'm sure there some videos on YouTube detailing the process. Recommend searching for some there.

Last edited by Overdriven; 11-26-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
custom10nut

Before you go and buy these one time use tools, go to your favorite parts store and ask about their "loaner tools". Most have them, but if they don't they'll usually tell you who does
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
TexasLS1

Here's a good thread that might be helpful - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556867.

I used a pickle fork and drill as stated above, a ball joint press, and some large sockets for the control arm end caps (I forget the sizes, I'm not home to check for you). I didn't use a spring compressor - I slowly lowered the lower control arm with a floor jack until the spring just fell out (I did run a rope through it to make sure it didn't jump out at me). Also used a grinder, torch, PB Blaster lube, and tubing wrenches if you'll be removing brake lines/calipers.

Most importantly, a camera - I took lots of pictures as I went, so I'd remember how everything came apart.

I used Moog parts for the reinstall, and everything went together great, even the lower ball joints where some of the guys have had replacements fit too loosely. Keep us updated on your progress!
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #5
MySons68C20

I agree with all of the above but the one tool I would buy is a Drill Doctor for sharpening your bits. It makes drilling the rivets out out soooo much easier it's almost fun!
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #6
TexasLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySons68C20 View Post
I agree with all of the above but the one tool I would buy is a Drill Doctor for sharpening your bits. It makes drilling the rivets out out soooo much easier it's almost fun!
Haha I second that!! Truth has been spoken!!
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
franken

For upper ball joint rivets, I just grind them off w/ a 4.5" angle grinder (I have 3 so I like 'em a lot). A ball joint separator is cheap and works on tie rod ends. A set of good 16 and 24 ounce ball pein hammers are always handy. The big one is only needed for stuff you're really mad at. A set of combination wrenches, 3/8 and 1/2 sockets, 4 ratchets and a bunch of extensions and you have tools to tackle almost anything.

I buy most tools from swap meets and pay little for them. Battery operated tools are handy, but a corded tool lasts a lifetime, while batteries last a few years. Swap meet corded tools cost $10 vs 5/10 times as much for new.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:28 AM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thank you for all the info. Pickle fork/ball joint separator seems to be the ticket. Safe to say I need a Pitman arm puller as well?

Appears I have the original ball joints. Looks like fun. May just have to get that Drill Doctor.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
Shady Rascal

A good air hammer with a chisel bit will wipe ball joint rivets off in about 5 seconds each. Once you've done it this way you'll never drill a rivet again.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote