The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #1
leonphelps

upper nd lower control arm bushings

how would you tell if you need to replace the upper and lower control arms. I have my front suspension apart, and am not sure if I should replace them.

thanks
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
jtrichard

Re: upper nd lower control arm bushings

Hard parts or rubber? how many shims where in the upper? how much thread was showing when it was assembled ?
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #3
AcampoDave

Why not just replace them? They don't cost that much and now is the time since the arms are off the truck anyhow. Just think what a PITA it would be to have to go back and do it after the truck is all put together again. Plus the piece of mind just knowing it's already done is worth it too. Edit:Sorry I just re-read your post and I was talking about the bushings and you were talking about the arms. I would examine the arms for signs of road rash which might have bent them, then look at the bushing recesses to be sure they are clean and not damaged from shot out bushings allowing metal to metal contact with the shaft, and lastly be sure nobody botched up the ball joint circles, shock mounts or that any other holes are wallowed out.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 11-28-2016 at 11:52 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:13 AM   #4
jtrichard

Topic is "Re: upper nd lower control arm bushings" After reading AcampoDave's post I was also second guessing myself UNTIL I reread the topic, looks like LEON is asking about the bushings after all
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
gabbin

I would change them and get some polys, the hardest part is getting the old rubber out, if you don't have access to a press, you can get drill bits and drill all around the old rubber stepping up the holes until you destroy them enough to knock them out, the new polys slide in pretty easy with the assembly lube. Also, take a few minutes and add a zert so you can lube them if they start squeeeeking later down the road.
gabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
The Rocknrod

My original control arms looked like this. I didnt need a press to remove anything:

The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
gabbin

My apologies, I'm mixed up with the later 90's model A arms. But, that being the case, then def. change them out, especially if the suspension is apart
gabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
leonphelps

thanks for selling me on removing them. The passenger side is a little mangled on the outside. I am refinishing an extra front end to swap with mine, so I guess Ill have to remove the one already on my truck to get a better one on the truck.

Ordered the parts today. All Moog, $340.

salesman told me there was a heavy duty option for moog stuff, I stuck with the regular stuff since it was half price.
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote