The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
tk1251k

White smoke is cracked head or gasket

Drove 5 miles sat. parked the truck go tout smoke billowing out the exhaust pipe and where the exhaust header connects to the tailpipe. Drove it back home with a trail of smoke parked it checked water filled it up water coming out the exhaust manifold flange and tailpipe. Ran good all the way home. I then checked oil for water it was good and no oil in rad. Ran some more at idle with smoke still coming out then notice today the oil very milky and several quarts over. Pulled the pluges on passenger side and noticed the plug on the front wet . Fired the truck up water coming out that cylinder.Truck body wide great shape and I have had it since 1981 . Its a 1972 Sierra Grande. Not sure if I want to fix it myself or just get rid of it. I rarely drive it any longer but just need some input as to what it might be other than the worse which I beleive it is.
tk1251k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: White smoke is cracked head or gasket

Stop running it , stop driving it , once you found the milky oil you need not start it again , time for some head gaskets . Or since you don't sound like your attached to it sell it to one of the guys in here at a deal and let them fix it and drive it while the price doubles ! Oh that got your attention now didnt it ?

A set of head gaskets are cheap and 1/2 a Saturday and your done .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
tk1251k

Have not driven it since I got it home just idled briefly checked oil afterwards and it looked fine until I let set for 2 days and the oil turned to milk.I drained the stuff out today.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
CCCC

Could be lucky and it's a blown head gasket, but that seems like a lot of coolant leakage for a gasket issue. If it's a head or valve seat crack, you should know when you get the head off. After that, it seems to get worse.
67 Sting Ray Coupe 327 4sp; 68 K10 Suburban 327 4sp; 69 K20 Lifted 383 4sp; 69 C80 Fire Truck 478 V6 5sp/2sp; 69 C20 Longhorn 327 4sp; 70 C30 Wrecker 350 4sp; 70 C30 Flat Bed 350 4sp; 71 C20 LWB 350 4sp; 72 K5 Blazer 350 4sp; 72 C30 Flat Bed Gooseneck Hauler with sleeper 350/TH400; 72 C20 Longhorn 402 4sp; 52 Mack LTL Supercharged Cummins 5sp x 3sp; 01 Dodge 5.9 HO Cummins 6spd; 02 Safari Trek 2430 8.1 Vortec on Workhorse Chassis; 03 Silverado 2500 HD 4wd Duramax/Allison
Moved but still in the family
70 C20 Custom Camper 350/TH350; 72 K5 Blazer CST Highlander 350/TH350
Recently sent to new homes
72 C30 MoHome 402 4sp; 72 K5 Blazer Conv 350 4sp; 75 GMC 6000 Aerial 350 w Allison; 72 GMC 3500 Utility 350 4sp; 70 GMC 3500, 350 4sp
CCCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
LongBox

Since we don't know the condition of your truck, it's hard to give advice, but this could be an inexpensive fix (head gasket(s), mid-price (a replacement head), or you might be needing a new engine. A crate engine is not all that expensive when you consider the value of these trucks if they are in good condition, and well-optioned. You say it's in great shape, and a Sierra Grande, that usually means higher value. If it were mine, I'd get it fixed, even if I needed to buy a crate engine.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
tk1251k

Can the intake leak coolant into the oil by any chance?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1251k View Post
Can the intake leak coolant into the oil by any chance?
Yes. That is what makes the oil milky. You can have a coolant leak that doesn't get to the oil also.

I would fix the truck, no matter what it is, whether you keep it or sell it. You have owned the truck since '81. It has gone way up in value. Worst case it needs an engine. Put a crate engine in and continue to enjoy or put crate engine in and get best dollar for your truck and sell way easier than as a project...unless offered at give away price.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
67 chevelle

Possible causes
gasket
warped head
cracked head

Did it overheat right before this ?
I would take heads in and have them refurbished
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
tk1251k

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Yes. That is what makes the oil milky. You can have a coolant leak that doesn't get to the oil also.

I would fix the truck, no matter what it is, whether you keep it or sell it. You have owned the truck since '81. It has gone way up in value. Worst case it needs an engine. Put a crate engine in and continue to enjoy or put crate engine in and get best dollar for your truck and sell way easier than as a project...unless offered at give away price.
I have water in the front number 7 plug well.If intake is leaking could it just leak into this one cylinder only then down the cylinder into the oil?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

You won't know anything until you tear it apart. I wouldn't start it again. All you're going to do is more damage.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
tk1251k

It is sitting in my driveway and getting cold so I don't think I want to mess with it and may dump some sealer into it just to get the thing moved and sell it as is nothing to lose by trying to seal it shut just to get it moved. From what I have read the engine is probably damaged even thought the oil was not contaminated until I let it set for 2 days then cranked it up and let it idle a few minutes then shut it down checked oil and it was milky quite a bit. So I think I will try something just to get it running long enough to add some sealer and stop the leak. It is rarely driven anyhow maybe tear it down later. I would never sell it without letting the potential buyer know the facts.I would never ever do that under any circumstance to someone.

Last edited by tk1251k; 12-06-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #12
Daves70

Mechanic in a can won't fix this. It's most likely a bad head gasket and it'really not that huge of a deal but....if you keep starting it and runnig water through your bearings then it will be a huge deal for sure. I'd say to tow it to a mechanic you trust and have it fixed properly then if you still want to sell it then you won't be selling a problem with the truck. A shop shouldn't charge to much. This is a fairly common issue to have on a older engine that has been siting alot.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #13
tk1251k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves70 View Post
Mechanic in a can won't fix this. It's most likely a bad head gasket and it'really not that huge of a deal but....if you keep starting it and runnig water through your bearings then it will be a huge deal for sure. I'd say to tow it to a mechanic you trust and have it fixed properly then if you still want to sell it then you won't be selling a problem with the truck. A shop shouldn't charge to much. This is a fairly common issue to have on a older engine that has been siting alot.
I don't think draining the oil a couple of times between letting it run for a minute or so will do any further damage if any has been done.I'll get the oil cleared and then add the quick fix for now and she what happens. Even if I have it fixed it would be the same procedure I would imagine.Taking to a garage for a head job would be expensive and no one to trust here.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #14
WorkinLonghorn

If you have water in a cylinder and try to start it you will bend a rod, then it will no longer be a simple fix.

It really is pretty easy to take off a head on these. Just do it. I'm about your age and I don't especially like this kind of work like I did earlier in life, but still, I would do it. One Saturday and a few dollars and you will be back in business with a smile on your mug.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #15
Grumpy old man

I read back thru your threads , this engine has 376,000 miles on it ? Your wasting your time trying to fix anything with the mechanic in a can , everytime you try to start it now that it's full of water and probably stop leak from all the freeze plug leaks your just hammering more nails in its coffin . It's done , be glad you got that many miles out of it . It's been giving you signals since 2007 and from what I read your hAvent fixed anything ? Put a crate engine in it and give it to your son for Christmas !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #16
tk1251k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I read back thru your threads , this engine has 376,000 miles on it ? Your wasting your time trying to fix anything with the mechanic in a can , everytime you try to start it now that it's full of water and probably stop leak from all the freeze plug leaks your just hammering more nails in its coffin . It's done , be glad you got that many miles out of it . It's been giving you signals since 2007 and from what I read your hAvent fixed anything ? Put a crate engine in it and give it to your son for Christmas !
Actually the heads did have a valve job done and freeze plugs replaced and what a nightmare that was . My fear is taking the head or heads off and block cracked .I am pouring oil through it and running it for a minute or 2 at most and draining oil and replacing filter.Then I'll start it up add the fix in a can to hopefully stop it long enough for short trips until otherwise. I really appreciate the input though.It actually has 385,000 and running strong before this popped up,
Old 12-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #17
tk1251k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I have replaced freeze plugs. I got all or at least all the water I can get out of the engine. Drained the oil twice after running the truck for 15 seconds or so in between oil changes with no water in the engine. Oil pressure was very good.Oil much better. I did remove number seven plug and ran for a few second to blow any remaining water out.I think I will go ahead pull the intake and hope its the intake gasket leaking into that cylinder alone if not I am taking the head off. Wish me luck.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #18
7tee

Having maybe these many miles on this engine I would try to pony up and get a new crate motor and start fresh...
2015 2500HD Z-71 Silverado...
7tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #19
tk1251k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tee View Post
Having maybe these many miles on this engine I would try to pony up and get a new crate motor and start fresh...
Don't really care to do that since I rarely drive it anymore. But it would be a great addition to this baby. Totally original. The a/c still works fine. Thanks if I plnned of driving as much as I did in the past I definitely would.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #20
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

It beats a blown engine due to catastrophic failure and leaving you stranded somewhere. With a blown head gasket or a cracked head or block there is no "band aid" fix.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #21
tk1251k

To cold to do anything right now. I have been read a lot on info before tearing into it. Some say these heads rarely blow head gaskets if of course torqued properly which these were. The hasn't been run hot if at all very short time and according to gauge not very hot. Can the intake leak into the number 7 cylinder as it seems I am hearing some talk about. Guess I won't know for sure until I get it off.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

My main concern would be the water in the oil pan. Once coolant hits those engine bearings it act like a solvent and strips the oil from the bearing surface. If you keep running it, the crank and rods will dig deeper and deeper into the bearings. It's only a matter of time. Plus with over 350,000 miles on the ticker... it's long past its intended service life and ready for a rebuild/replacement.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #23
tk1251k

I thoroughy drained is as soon as the oil got milky. When I first parked it the oil looked normal after sitting for awhile it milkly and I of course never drove after that but drained 3 times of oil after adding new oil. So hopefully no damge done to the bearings.Cranks as good as always. I have removed all water from the coolant since it is getting very cold here.