The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2016, 11:22 PM   #1
allaboutchevelles

3" front drop springs> what shocks to use?

I lowered my 64 c10 with 3 inch springs in the front. I heard you can use factory shocks but I read on here somewhere you need shorter shocks. I even remember someone posting a part number for a napa or autozone shock that you can use that's shorter. Any info on this? thanks
Old 12-06-2016, 11:51 PM   #2
rvrfoot

Re: 3" front drop springs> what shocks to use?

I lowered mine rear 5 inches and got lowered shocks. I did not do the front yet but when i do i will get lowered ones too.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:29 AM   #3
68c10airstream

I looked through your build thread. very nice body work on the cab. If i read correctly you installed 3" lowered springs and you are running stock drum brakes. If your final suspension drop is 3" consider going to disc brakes with a 2 1/2" dropped spindle with a stock spring and stock shocks. I realize you already purchased new lowered springs but a dropped spindle with a stock spring keeps normal suspension position with more or less equal suspension travel up and down. This is the best ride possible with coils. With your drums with the 3" lowered spring you are pretty close to the compression rubber snubber and your ride will be hitting the snubber easily. Not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just give some info.

After you invest all your time and money into that cab and body work with a v8 good brakes are a natural progression. What is your safety worth? I believe you mentioned your daughter in your thread? You can probably get where i'm going with this!

When i did my 68 c10 transformation i considered dropping an 80's vintage c10 crossmember with all of the suspension and steering gearbox (3 1/2 turns lock to lock variable ratio) and linkage with the rag joint and intermediate shaft and the fitting from the back of the p/s pump to complete the transformation to o'ring p/s lines. I believe this will bolt into any c10 from 62 and newer. Living up north and trying to find clean lightly rusted parts is near nill, so i piece mealed mine together.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:26 AM   #4
Kenfuzed

There are a few options. Here is a page on the POL site that has several different shocks. I like the Western DS2 shocks and you can select what drop you need them for.
https://www.performanceonline.com/Fr...Absorbers-c10/

They also have shock relocation kits so you can use a standard length shock.

I agree with the other post, drop spindles ride so much better than 3" drop springs, or you can use a combination (2.5 drop spindles + 1" drop springs). I'm in the process of doing this since my truck has 3+ drop springs in front from the PO and they are a rough ride.

Ken's 1966 C10 build "Red Ale"
Follow on Instgram: @cv_performance
https://instagram.com/cv_performance
Harley Performance Parts: CV Performance (Harley related)
Enjoying the ride!
Kenfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
PGSigns

When I did the 66 I went with 2 1/2" drop spindles and 2" springs. Then a little taller tire to get a good ride. I had the KYB shocks from POL for lowered trucks and they were OK but thats it. Then put a set of belltech street performance shocks on it with the ECE shock relocaters in the rear and it rode much better. Almost 20,000 miles on this setup now. I fully agree with suggestion on the brake upgrades. The difference is huge on what it takes to get the truck stopped from 55 mph. We all have to drive a lot in todays traffic and deal with todays distracted drivers. I want all the brakes I can get.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
Rust-O-Matic

I've got stock replacement shocks on my '66 with 3" coils and standard drum brakes. I made new upper shock brackets out of of scraps, and moved them up the side of the frame 3". I cut the bump stops off the lower control arms for clearance. No other hocus pocus required. Rides and drives just as well as it did with the stock geometry.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #7
allaboutchevelles

Thanks Rust-O-Matic! I ended up going with the Belltech Nirtro Drop 2 shocks. Both front shocks with upper mounts for 82$. I think I will cut down the rubber bump stops like you did also.

Thanks for advice 68c10airstream, I'm doing a budget build on this truck and it cost me about 90$ to rebuild front brakes compared to 400$ for disc swap. This truck will be only driven on weekends around town. Drum brakes work good when adjusted correctly.