The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
flipper58

Trans Crossmembers: Old question, new twist, I think

I am going to be doing an LS3 4L65E swap and am looking for the appropriate trans crossmember. While I have searched the forum and learned a lot about the choice, I noticed that some folks have had exhaust/header interference problems with certain crossmembers. I have the PB trailing arms crossmember with openings for the exhaust. My plan is to use stock exhaust manifolds and run duals straight out the back. So, my question is has anyone encountered a problem with the following transmission crossmembers interfering with the exhaust?
ECE
CPP
Choppin' Block
PB

Thanks,
Phil
flipper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
68c10airstream

Re: Trans Crossmembers: Old question, new twist, I think

I like to fabricate and when i installed my 5.3 4l65e in my 68 c10 i wanted the exhaust to be tucked up out of the way. I took the stock crossmember and cut out the center section, put a flat plate bolted to the mount holes on the underside of the extension housing. This plate is wide enough to be wider than the center section i removed. After looking at it for a while i realized that if i took the stock trans mount and turned it 1/4 turn and mounted it lengthwise (instead of sideways) and purchased another mount i could use this pair on either side in between the plate and the remaining stock crossmember. It worked great and left the center area open to bring my exhaust in from each side into an "X" under this plate and start spreading out the exhaust after the "X" about underneath the front ujoint.

Now when i look at the truck from a distance i don't see the exhaust hanging under the frame. I did drill 4" holes into the trailing arm crossmember for the duals to poke through.

I'll try to load pics later.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
68c10airstream

My shorty headers dump into cats (i know what you are thinking) and the exhaust comes down along the sides of the trans and hooks around the back of the trans into the "X". The bottom of the exhaust is level with the bottom of the trans and the "x" mellowed the raspyness a little along with the cats. I work in a screaming powerplant and get tired of loud noises, hence the cats and the "X"
Old 12-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #4
68c10airstream

Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
flipper58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
I like to fabricate and when i installed my 5.3 4l65e in my 68 c10 i wanted the exhaust to be tucked up out of the way. I took the stock crossmember and cut out the center section, put a flat plate bolted to the mount holes on the underside of the extension housing. This plate is wide enough to be wider than the center section i removed. After looking at it for a while i realized that if i took the stock trans mount and turned it 1/4 turn and mounted it lengthwise (instead of sideways) and purchased another mount i could use this pair on either side in between the plate and the remaining stock crossmember. It worked great and left the center area open to bring my exhaust in from each side into an "X" under this plate and start spreading out the exhaust after the "X" about underneath the front ujoint.

Now when i look at the truck from a distance i don't see the exhaust hanging under the frame. I did drill 4" holes into the trailing arm crossmember for the duals to poke through.

I'll try to load pics later.
Thanks. That looks pretty slick. I, too, want to tuck the exhaust up as tight as I can to avoid the low hanging pipes look.
flipper58 is offline   Reply With Quote