The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
Chevy Punk

72 Auto Shift Knob Inside Diameter?

Odd question, but does anyone know or can measure the inside diameter of a 71-72 automatic non tilt shift knob? My Snap On guy gave me a "prop" screwdriver handle that I would like to use and I want to know how large to drill it out before I mangle my original knob to get it off.
Chevy Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
Mike_The_Grad

Re: 72 Auto Shift Knob Inside Diameter?

I have an old one in my garage I will measure it an post it in a few hours. One thing is, that it's splined. I just replaced my 72 nontilt column shifter about 6 months ago and they do not come with a knob. So instead of trying to salvage my original, I looked through my junk around the house to find something. I settled on an old wood handle from one of my hand files. I want to say I drilled it out to 5/16" but not certain. And I hammered it on with a rubber mallet.
I drilled it short by about 1/8" lol. But it works. I'm actually trying to figure out how to remove a live primer from a .50 cal bullet so I can use that. There's no powder inside the cartridge but the primer is still in it.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad

Last edited by Mike_The_Grad; 01-13-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
El Dorado Jim

Re: 72 Auto Shift Knob Inside Diameter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
I have an old one in my garage I will measure it an post it in a few hours. One thing is, that it's splined. I just replaced my 72 nontilt column shifter about 6 months ago and they do not come with a knob. So instead of trying to salvage my original, I looked through my junk around the house to find something. I settled on an old wood handle from one of my hand files. I want to say I drilled it out to 5/16" but not certain. And I hammered it on with a rubber mallet.
I drilled it short by about 1/8" lol. But it works. I'm actually trying to figure out how to remove a live primer from a .50 cal bullet so I can use that. There's no powder inside the cartridge but the primer is still in it.
a .50 cal casing would look cool!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote