The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
nikwho

'68 GMC - use of universal radiator?

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the 67-72 trucks, but I've been on the forum for a while with my '53 GMC and '59 Apache. This forum (along with my cousins hot rodded '69 Chevy that we raised hell in as teenagers) has increased my appreciation of the 67-72 trucks. I knew that I wanted a slant nose, big window cab with four lights, so I was pretty set on a '68 GMC. When I bought my '59 Apache home I wanted nothing more than to get a '57 clip on it. But, the 4 lights grew on me! Anyway, on to my question. I believe that the radiator in my '68 came from the '86 C-10 donor truck from which the front suspension and rear axle came from. It has an automatic transmission cooler, but was bypassed because of a leak. I saw that a solder repair was atempted evident by a splatter of solder on the steering box above the return tube on the radiator. I was going to order a stand alone cooler and call it good enough. My truck has a brand new TCI transmission and I want to make sure that it's protected.

Well, I noticed coolant dripping from under the drivers side of the front bumper yesterday. I was thinking that I would drop the radiator off for repair, but figured that if I didn't have the $40-$50 repair made to the radiator & didn't buy the $50 cooler I was going to buy for the tranny, I'd apply that money to a new radiator, instead. I checked the dimensions of all of the direct fit radiators for my truck and found them between 28"-32" wide and 19" tall. I found a universal radiator at Summit that is 31" wide x 19" tall with a transmission cooler built in. It is 3" deep. It seems as though I can spend $190 instead of $400-$600 and have a nearly perfect fitting radiator. Is this a commonly implemented solution for these trucks? I have a Derale electric fan harness, temp sensor and 16" electric fan setup left over from another project that I was thinking that I could add. Though, I'm thinking of dual 12"-15" fans side by side, instead of the single 16" fan. I have a sheet metal brake and an aluminum spool gun to fab up a shroud. Any reason that this universal radiator setup won't work well in my truck? I'd love to see pictures of any of your guys radiator setups, particularly with electric fans. Anyone have experience with the Summit Racing brand radiators? I had previously bought a universal Griffin radiator for my '53 S-10 swap that ended up working perfectly. I'll keep searching and finding all of the info that I can. Thanks for any input offered!

Nik
Old 12-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
nikwho

Re: '68 GMC - use of universal radiator?

Here's the radiator that I was thinking of using:
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-381331

Summit Racing Part Number:SUM-381331
UPC: 190861096639
Radiator Style: Crossflow
Inlet Location: Upper driver side
Outlet Location: Lower passenger side
Radiator Material: Aluminum
Radiator Finish: Natural
Overall Width (in): 31.000 in.
Overall Height (in): 19.000 in.
Overall Thickness (in): 3.000 in.
Core Width (in): 26.000 in.
Core Height (in): 19.000 in.
Core Thickness (in): 2.250 in.
Row Quantity: 2
Transmission Cooler: Yes
Inlet Size: 1 1/2 in.
Outlet Size: 1 3/4 in.
Tube Size: 1 in.
Fan Included: No
Radiator Cap Included: No
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Cooler bosses are fitted with 1/4 in. NPT.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
ratty69

Besides mounts, ( which it sounds like you can fab up ) the only thing I see with that is the outlet size. I can't tell if the outlet angles up like stock or is straight. If it's straight, you might have a hard time finding a molded 1.75" hose that will fit it.

I recently put a vistapro rad in my truck, and had to buy and return several hoses before finding one that fits.
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
nikwho

Interesting. I had not noticed that the outlet on the stock radiator angled up. I would assume that the universal radiator outlet will come out perpendicular to the tank. I suppose that I could modify the outlet, but the time spent to complete the work would likely outweigh any financial savings. So, I have already ordered the radiator, so Summit will get it to me in a couple of days. I will mock it up and see if it will work or if it needs to be returned for a custom fit radiator. I appreciate your response!

Nik