The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
PurdueSD

Got in a Wreck, could use some advice!

Great start to my Saturday! Guy ran a red crossing the highway in front of me. He admitted fault to the sherif and looks to have current ins. I can't wait to deal with the other guys insurance adjuster.... anyone have any experience here? nada says my truck is worth a bit over 5k avereage retail. -not sure I could replace it for that. I'm having a hard time seeing how it could be repaired for less than totaling it out. the graphic is a sticker and is probably mot something that can be repaired/ blended I'm guessing so... it would probably require a total repaint.
sucks...

Last edited by PurdueSD; 12-18-2016 at 11:01 PM.
PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
PurdueSD

Re: Got in a Wreck, could use some advice!

fender pushed back into door :/

Old 12-18-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
87max

Wait until you get an estimate before you go worst case scenario. You can buy it back if it's totalled. Glad you're OK.
87max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
Eyegore
What Hump?

If you can get two to three estimates on your own preferably from some restoration shops if possible. Also research similar trucks to yours and the pricing copy the adds to present to the adjuster. It helps to be prepared.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
flashed

A sign company can probably recreate the stickers for you.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

I would suggest to anyone who has a primo or restored vehicle that is worth less then what it will to get a equal quality one.

Get a stated value policy.

Years ago a guy T-boned my parked 1974 C10 rcsb. I had found a absolute cream puff with a dead motor. Dropped in a hot 350, 5/7 drop, rims + tires, black interior, and a big deal for mid 90's a T700R4. I had 10g's in the truck, and it would of been hard to replicate the average truck for $15,000. So when the guy insurance company whined, and cried about the cost. I told find me one just like it in the same condition. All they could find was more expensive pro built versions. So i got my $15,000 plus another $10,000 to fix my moms lawn from 25 gallons of gas killing 2/3 of the lawn.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

Chinese replacement sheet metal is cheap, so if that is what you are offered you can get it to "look" like it was originally for a reasonable price. OEM sheet metal is almost unobtainable. Rust free OEM used sheet metal is still available in southwest desert junkyards, but is getting hard to find.

Without a stated value or agreed value insurance policy the only thing the insurance company is obligated to pay is fair market value. If they find one like yours for $3500, then that is all you are entitled to. I would be inclined to get whatever I could in cash from the insurance company and rebuild it myself.
tucsonjwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:59 AM   #8
Nick_R_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Chinese replacement sheet metal is cheap, so if that is what you are offered you can get it to "look" like it was originally for a reasonable price. OEM sheet metal is almost unobtainable. Rust free OEM used sheet metal is still available in southwest desert junkyards, but is getting hard to find.

Without a stated value or agreed value insurance policy the only thing the insurance company is obligated to pay is fair market value. If they find one like yours for $3500, then that is all you are entitled to. I would be inclined to get whatever I could in cash from the insurance company and rebuild it myself.
This is not entirely true. This full market value becomes up to the owner to prove. You can present listed ads from any of the places cars are typically listed (Craigslist, Ebay, Autotrader, etc) of vehicles of similar make and model, similar options, mileage, and condition. If these trucks are selling for $10K in the same overall condition as yours, I would be insulted by a $3500 offer. Make sure you fight to get what you're entitled to - remember, you are not a fault here, and they are required to properly repair or wholly replace your vehicle.
Nick_R_23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
yrik

Sorry about your truck.
My truck was stolen and recovered in September. It was deemed totaled and I had just purchased it back from my dad for $6000.
I had State Farm and they gave me $6500 after I bought the truck back for $465. So they gave me just under $7000
My adjuster was giving me quotes over the phone so I e-mailed her pictures of the truck. They added on for the lowering kit, aftermarket valance on the front with driving lights, and custom bed cover. So make sure they know of all custom and aftermarket things done to your truck. Detailed pictures help.
Make sure you read all the fine print in the estimate. Mine said it had a 3 speed auto in it and it had a 4 speed and that netted more money.
You do not have to except the first offer they give you and hopefully they will work with you.
Mine wasn't repairable but it had way more than $465 worth of good parts. So you can factor that in also.
Good Luck!
Attached Images

yrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #10
PurdueSD

Thank you all for the advice so far. As I kind of imagine, results may vary. Im not jumping to any conclusions obiously, just trying to be prepared. My truck was a driver with some little issues. I was cleaning it up as i went. Interior still needed some help. Comparable trucks I've found so far, are in the 7-10k range. Seems like it may be a bit of a challenge convincing, but i will provide some examples if i need too.

Our trucks can still be had for very good deals, but they don't just pop up... you have to find them. It's not like guys are listing rust free shortbeds on craigslist everyday in the midwest. When they do they are priced to the high end of the market. I won't be in any hurry to settle. My square wasn't my primary transportation.

Thanks Again!
Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
WarpathEngineering

I feel your pain. I had mine out the other day while my primary driver was in the shop and some bone head backed out of a parking lot and into my rear quarter while I was sitting at the red light. My brother manages one of the local Honda body shops and his concern was writing an estimate that was too high for fear that the other guy's insurance company would want to total the truck. In KY if you buy the car back after it's been totaled you wind up with a salvage title.
1998 GMC Sierra SL K2500 2002-2010
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD LBZ 2010-Present
1978 Chevy Silverado K20 2016-Present
WarpathEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:22 AM   #12
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Go to your insurance commissioners web site for your state to learn the rules. In WA state, the law leans towards the person who is the victim.

They will likely want to total your truck, you have say in that. They will lowball you with a $1200 or so offer.

In WA state, they are required to replace your vehicle with one the same year or one year newer. It has to be within 100 miles and actually available. When my 86 diesel got totaled (I was rear ended buy a brand new hummer H3), they tried to give me $1200 and offered comparables in Wyoming and Colorado that were not near as nice and were gas powered. When I started quoting the law back to them, they just straight up asked me what I wanted. I told them $4k that I believed was the true value of my truck. They didn't argue. I have never been able to buy one as nice, but I felt I was treated fairly.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:14 AM   #13
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
A sign company can probably recreate the stickers for you.
The late 70's Sport and Desert Fox had some pretty elaborate multi-color stripes. They have been reproduced by sign places.

This one should be cake in comparison. Especially since you have the original.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:47 AM   #14
TheCougarine

The one good thing dealing with the other persons insurance is it really doesn't matter of you have a stated value policy or not. I'd imagine if you find a good amount of comparable trucks and show them the prices you could very well come out ahead money wise, though it still sucks to lose such a cool truck. When I was rear ended at a red-light a few years back the lady's insurance was actually pretty nice and while it took longer than it should have for an adjuster to come out I was able to have it fixed at a very good local shop, was given a rental car, and they wrote me a separate check for depreciated value. My aunt was in an accident over the summer and the other drivers insurance wound up totally the car but wrote her a check for more than 3x what the car was worth on a good day. So anyway, there is the possibility of having a decent experience
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #15
LT7A

Very sorry to see you got hit. Your truck has many one of a kind things that are going to be difficult for them to replace if they total it. So if they do, it seems like you have significant leverage. Even though the custom parts weren't current as far as trends go, they are still custom touches. It should get you a commensurate amount in your settlement. I recognize your rig from your thread about dealing with the eighties style. The funny thing is, the red short in this thread that had been stolen has (had) the front air dam that I was thinking would look right at home on your truck. Good luck man!
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #16
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

your truck is highly repairable... hood fender inner fender get used with exception of the decal which looks like you can have a sign shop make and install you should be able to repair that for less than $2k assuming you wrench yourself Where I live they can total the truck but do NOT have a right to salvage unless you use your insurance. you can plead your case for top dollar and fix quite easilly

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #17
hatzie

That's really not that bad.
You need a Grille, Grille Trim, LH Headlamp Trim, Rad Support, Bumper, Fender, and front bumper with mounts.
They may need to pull the LH frame rail straight and you'll definitely need an alignment.

Doubt they got the hood and it's not bad if they did. A good body man can fix mild damage.
Fix door front edge where it was forced open over the bent fender. Again... that's not a big deal for a good body man.

A good paint man can blend the door and fender with the hood and cab no problem.

Reproduce and replace the door and fender decal with new vinyl from a sign shop. That would be my first task. Find one local that'll look at it. Should be pretty straighforward since it's mostly straight lines.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #18
Dead Parrot

I am going to 2nd what others have said and suggest getting a body shop you trust to give you a complete estimate and detailed list of parts. Often, the little parts can cost more then the obvious ones like the fender and bumper. Get your alignment checked in case the hit damaged the alignment or suspension. Keep track of your out of pocket expenses including any rental cars you need because your truck can't be driven or is being repaired.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:55 PM   #19
dragn91

When my 66 was t boned and totaled i was able to buy it back for $400 they game me $3800 but my truck was still very rusty with a completely redone drivetrain tires ect.. i thought it was fair but couldent find another one like it around here for that. They gave my pregnant girlfriend who was riding shotgun $4500 for her pain and suffering without her even asking most likely so she wouldent sue not that she was going to but my point is they owe you dont settle for a number your not 110 percent happy with they know that you could sue them for injuries pain and suffering or a million other reasons so they should be willing to make it right.case in point my girlfriends grandmother knocked mirrors on a windy back road with a lady. She stoped at the bottom of the hill and the lady never came down so she called the police and headed home witch they informed her to do. She replaced her mirror out of pocket. Months later she recieved a notice her insurance was being sued the lady that left the scene was suing for damages injury and lost wages in the excess of 60,000. She settled with insurace for 15,000. Thats right the dirtbag got $15,000 for a broken mirror she claimed tramatic stress and that she was scared to drive after the accident. Needdless to say her background is a mile long and she pretty much makes a living by suing people. The insurance company said it was cheaper to pay the 15,000 then deal with all the legal fees and possible lawsuits. Im not saying to go be sue happy but be damn sure to get your beautiful truck brought back to its former glory
dragn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:38 PM   #20
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrik View Post
Sorry about your truck.
My truck was stolen and recovered in September. It was deemed totaled and I had just purchased it back from my dad for $6000.
I had State Farm and they gave me $6500 after I bought the truck back for $465. So they gave me just under $7000
My adjuster was giving me quotes over the phone so I e-mailed her pictures of the truck. They added on for the lowering kit, aftermarket valance on the front with driving lights, and custom bed cover. So make sure they know of all custom and aftermarket things done to your truck. Detailed pictures help.
Make sure you read all the fine print in the estimate. Mine said it had a 3 speed auto in it and it had a 4 speed and that netted more money.
You do not have to except the first offer they give you and hopefully they will work with you.
Mine wasn't repairable but it had way more than $465 worth of good parts. So you can factor that in also.
Good Luck!
yrik where did you get that air dam under your front bumper with the driving lights? those were really popular back in the 80's
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #21
GRADYS Performance

If it was the other drivers fault. The at fault drivers insurance should make you whole again to the point the vehicle condition was at the moment before the damage happened. Value of the vehicle of the not at fault driver is not a question, only the limit of the at fault drivers insurance coverage. If the car was a 100K Mercedes the repair cost would not be an issue. Stand up for the right to have the personal property that was taken away from you instead of letting the Insurance Co tell you what they want to give you.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #22
SCOTI

That's definitely repairable.

My 90 had been wrecked before (front end damage). The repair was done @ a dealer type body-shop as the blend from the front clip through the original paint on the doors looked like 90's 'splash' graphics (it was very obvious).

It now has another front clip & my buddy re-shot it all in patina to better match the rear half of the truck.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #23
gmachinz
Account Suspended

The issue Id have is that the insurance company will list LMC crap as available replacement parts-not GM as your truck prolly has. I went through this once myself recently on a light front end hit. I got a check for $1800 to replace:

Front bumper
Bumper brackets
Grill (and ALL the Silverado trim for it)
Front lower grill valance
Both headlight trim bezels
Bow tie emblem (I sourced an NOS one online for them)

Now, it doesn't matter that I already had everything in stock NOS-but I made sure the insurance company did right by me. They priced out everything but the bow tie from LMC and that was fine with me.

Now, by law they have 2 years to settle the issue one way or another. I'd tell them to find you another one in the same condition....if it isn't your main ride, be patient and be a pita-it will pay off in the end.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:22 PM   #24
PurdueSD

Thanks for all the input! Its been 2 weeks now and not a whole lot of progress. I prepared myself by researching comps. No comps (rust free short beds) in my immediate area appearing available on classifieds, craigslist eBay....so i expanded the search and came up with 10 reasonable comps. Dropping the high and low, i was left with 8 trucks in similar presentable condition. Average asking price of these 8 came in at like 9,900.

When the other guys insurance adjuster finally called me back, he said the truck was a not a normal situation and he couldn't find it in the book. He said he was prepared to offer me 2500 and i keep the truck. I let him know i could not fix or replace the truck and that was not acceptable. He replied he knew where a mint... 87 was for sale for $4500. I asked him to present the truck to me. And to please keep in mind, I am only interested in replacement cost of a short bed in simialr rust free condition. I explained that i had done my research and that he was nowhere near even the cheapest comp. I offered to provide the comps I had found and he provided me with his email address and asked me to send them over. I sent those over to him about 5 days ago and haven't received another response.

Im assuming the "mint condition" comp he was referring to.... Is one i found on craigslist... a 3/4 ton, long bed with rust. not in similar condition based on what I'm seeing...

Hopefully I hear something back a little more realistic next week. Im not in any hurry but would like to put this behind me. I let the adjuster know i would be willing to accept 8 (which is almost 2k less that the average of the comps i found) or they could repair my truck to its previous condition.

Last edited by PurdueSD; 12-31-2016 at 04:30 PM.
PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:16 PM   #25
TKCR

Show him this one:

I can't hardly see where they can justify this price, but it is a beauty!!!

http://inventory.vanguardmotorsales....ado-4x4-pickup
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote