The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
svr

C4 suspension on aTF?

About at the point i can start the reassembly of my '57 3100 short step side. At this time cab is off and frame stipped of all original suspension ect. Current plan is to update the 235 with dual exhaust, a couple of carbs, alternator, and some chrme pretty's. Have a T5 with a .76 OD and mech speedo drive. 1st plan was a ford 9" flipped on original leaf springs and a M2 on the front. Well over the weekend i stumbled on to an '86 vette rear complete rotar to rotar for a franklin. Now thinking has changed, want to try and use the vette rear and find a deal on a C4 front. Question, besides Flatout and Progressive are there any others selling bracket kits? Which kits are best? I know thats a loaded question, very subjective. Can hold my own fabing stuff with well engineered plans and could probably get it done with a few trial and errors, and do overs. All suggestions and comments are welcome, someday will have to start takeing pics and start a build thread. I have seen some on here useing the C4 stuff on AD's but havn' found a build on TF. Anyway enough rambleing, all thoughts welcome.
svr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: C4 suspension on aTF?

I've got the flatout front for mine..there are several on here that built their own bracketry..there are several bracket plans on here as well..I was impressed with the quality of the flatout crossmember..no regrets on spending the money..I wanted the accuracy of a jig built crossmember...thinking of drawing out plans for the parts and building a jig off my crossmember just in case I want to do another one in the future..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Azhank has one going in now as well as several others for tf trucks.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=flatout
Old 12-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #4
lv2tri2

My experience with Flatout was and is the best. Quality parts, a lot of experience, and plenty time for my questions.
lv2tri2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
svr

Thanks for the comments guy's, Azhank's build is crazy good, Mongocanfly, do you know where to find the bracket plans you mentioned? Gluten for punishment here would like to see what involved. Thanks
Old 12-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
JML55

I also have flatout front suspension on my truck, really good kit easy to install, my only regret is I should have moved the axle center line about 1.5" forward to keep the wheel in the center of the fender wheel opening for a better look. Also I should have used the wider 88 -96 C4 kit, I used the 84-87 narrower and ended up having to use 1.25 wheel spacer to the front wheel , with out the spacer the front wheels were tock in too much for my liking.
55 Belair
99 S10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316140
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=806011

Last edited by JML55; 12-20-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added text
JML55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #7
Daze57

i also have the flat out kit --- like the other posts i agree with the use of jig welded parts for the irs ----i opted for the coil overs instead of the leaf spring .....all parts from flat out are cut and fabricated v v well --no regrets at all on purchase,----i am runnin; a subframe front end (was on when i bought frame years ago) am happt with it so i am not gonna run a vette front susp.
good luck on project -let us know how it comes out .
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
58CameoAZ

I have an 85 C4 Front and Rear in my 58 Cameo, Used Flat Out Eng Kits on both front and
rear, i also used the coil overs and deleted the rear leaf spring. Very happy so far and can't wait to get it on the road but that is going to be awhile.

Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Here's a Flatout crossmember on my '55.2. As you can see below, the axle centerline was moved to better center the tire in the wheel well.

I went with a live rear axle just flipped on top of the leaf springs and C Notched the frame. It's a Mustang 8.8 rearend. Here it is mocked up. Frame hadn't been notched yet

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 12-20-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Svr..I can't seem to find the prints copied from the flatout crossmember..I know they're on here somewhere...maybe whoever has them will chime in..
Old 12-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
Daze57

lookin good dan !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #12
dsraven

Dan, does that mustang diff have the pumpkin centred? mine is from an explorer and it is not centred. if so, what year of mustang did it come from? just curious because some guys have asked me about mine. I put in what I found at picknpull but that doesn't mean they have to.
did you drill the axle flanges for a chevy pattern? I see there are multiple holes in the disc faces.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:39 PM   #13
dsraven

here is another silly question for you Dan. are you planning on swapping the diff yoke for a regular u joint or will you use the mustang driveshaft flange?
nice work by the way.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #14
dsraven

sorry SVR, I totally jacked your thread. I have commented on this before and would say, from experience, that WHATEVER cross member you go with, ALWAYS look for one that has the upper and lower control arm pivots already welded onto the member. otherwise the final geometry is only as good as your bubble level and tape measure. your antidive angle and control arm angles etc could be off and you wouldn't know it until the alignment guy says he "did what he could". the flat out system in Dan's truck looks pretty good. I have also seen a set up from scotts hotrods that looks good. check out canadian hotrods, they sell frames but they have a nice looking set up that runs corvette.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #15
66 Burban

Guys, I need a little info here... Some time ago I acquired a project: 56 3200, BBW with Flatout kits front and rear with 94 C4 suspension ---- no shocks. Which coil overs did you guys use --- Aldans from Flatout, QA1s or something else? And how do you like the ride.
I've got motor and trans mounts in (350 Crate and T5) and want to get my coil overs, check everything out, blow it apart and powdercoat --- not gonna paint truck --- gonna do Patina.
Also trying to decide whether to cut frame and bed to 3100 short bed length --- what do you think?? All input will be appreciated!!!
Attached Images

Thx,
Billy B.
66 Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:37 PM   #16
svr

66 burban, i see your truck has a late model c4 suspension with corvette wheels, are the wheels the same vintage as the suspension? The reason i ask is i heard there might be someissues with tires rubing on fenders with the late model suspension as its a little wider than stock. Your thoughts please? Thanks
Very good looking truck, i like the stance, you could shorten it if you want and it would good also but there is something about it that looks right the way it is.

Last edited by svr; 12-25-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:05 PM   #17
66 Burban

My suspension is 94 and if I remember right the wheels are 2005...have about 1/2" clearance on rear fenders at this point. May not be using these wheels --- just had them handy for mock up --- the truck was in pieces on trailer when I got it --- couldn't stand it, had to bolt sheet metal on and put wheels on to check the stance. I agree with you about proportions and stance but afraid i"ll regret no making it shorter.
More opinions and what about coil over Guys??

Thx,
Billy B.
66 Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:35 PM   #18
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
Dan, does that mustang diff have the pumpkin centred? mine is from an explorer and it is not centred. if so, what year of mustang did it come from? just curious because some guys have asked me about mine. I put in what I found at picknpull but that doesn't mean they have to.
did you drill the axle flanges for a chevy pattern? I see there are multiple holes in the disc faces.
Sorry, didn't see these questions before now. I don't want to hijack SVRs thread but here

Yes, pumpkin is centered.
I don't know what year, I didn't buy it directly.
Yes, axle flanges were drill for Chevy pattern
Driveshaft will have to be custom made so we'll use Chevy/Ford mix & match parts.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #19
dsraven

thanks dan.
dennis
Old 12-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #20
GMtrucknut!!

We just installed this C4 OEM front cradle in a 1957 3100 , with the time it takes to fabricate the mounts and get the geometry correct I would recommend using the aftermarket setup. It would save a bunch of time and everyone knows time is money !
Attached Images

GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:08 PM   #21
svr

Good info trucknut, are you going to use the leaf spring or go to coil overs? Did you trim up the c4 cross member? Thanks