The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
SquareChevy

k10 wont go to low 1/2

I never bothered with low 1 or 2 in my truck till recently so I never knew I couldn't get it to go down into it. its an automatic 86 chevy k10 with a 700r4 trans.. Pattern is P/R/N/OD/D/2/1.. I cant get the shifter into every single one except 2 and 1. Any ideas why? am I even able to do this? do I have to be in low 4x4 to get it down there? I kinda want to be able to go to low 1 and 2 for haulin and off roading, yes call me stupid but I don't know lol
SquareChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
GM-power

Re: k10 wont go to low 1/2

Check your linkage first. It almost comes to mind that a 3 speed has been swapped in. Assuming I'm wrong, I'd check the linkage, maybe pull the rod of the shifter at the trans. Block your wheels, and check if it goes into each gear.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:38 AM   #3
donut

Could be as simple as worn cab mounts causing this. Less "throw" in the linkage as the cab settles.

Last set of cab mounts I did, the trans linkage had to be disconnected and re-set with the new mounts.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
SquareChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-power View Post
Check your linkage first. It almost comes to mind that a 3 speed has been swapped in. Assuming I'm wrong, I'd check the linkage, maybe pull the rod of the shifter at the trans. Block your wheels, and check if it goes into each gear.
The end of summer I had the trans in and out over 3 times for rebuilding because we couldn't figure out what was wrong, its still the 700r4 trans, the linkage does have a little play in it, haven't tried each gear by manually doing it underneath yet. been cold and raining...
Old 12-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
SquareChevy

I have noticed that when I put my truck in reverse on the column there is a **** ton of play, When I put it in the "groove or slot" in reverse I don't have reverse lights, I have to push the shifter up a little to get my lights on. would this be caused by play in the linkage?

___EDIT TO MY FIRST POST______just noticed I did this, Pattern is P/R/N/OD/D/2/1.. I (cant) _EDIT_ (I MEANT I CAN) get the shifter into every single one except 2 and 1
Old 12-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
donut

It can be, yes.
Will it start in neutral, or do you have to play with that also?

Old 12-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
SquareChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
It can be, yes.
Will it start in neutral, or do you have to play with that also?
don't they only start in park?(automatic)
Old 12-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #8
donut

Neutral also.
There is a neutral safety switch that lets the starter engage in neutral. If your linkage is far enough out of adjustment, you may have the starter able to engage in either R or OD.

IF your that far out, you might be better of starting from scratch. Chock your wheels, disconnect the linkage, and manually turn the selector on the transmission. (verify where your gears are, before you disconnect the linkage. make sure you'll be going the right way.) See if you can get your low gears. Turning the selector on the transmission, you should feel the clicks for the different gears. The linkage just connects the column to the trans.

If shifting on the side of the transmission doesn't get you your low gears, there may be a bigger problem, beyond what I can help with.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #9
SquareChevy

Quote:
Neutral also.
There is a neutral safety switch that lets the starter engage in neutral. If your linkage is far enough out of adjustment, you may have the starter able to engage in either R or OD.

IF your that far out, you might be better of starting from scratch. Chock your wheels, disconnect the linkage, and manually turn the selector on the transmission. (verify where your gears are, before you disconnect the linkage. make sure you'll be going the right way.) See if you can get your low gears. Turning the selector on the transmission, you should feel the clicks for the different gears. The linkage just connects the column to the trans.

If shifting on the side of the transmission doesn't get you your low gears, there may be a bigger problem, beyond what I can help with.
Thanks for your help! seems to make sense to me so ill check next time I have free time..sooo probably in another month lol..Thanks a lot!!
Old 12-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #10
SquareChevy

Also when I can get it into just drive, the shifter is hanging down to practically my knee, is that normal? or is that where low 1 "should" or "suppose" to engage at? cause if I could get it into low 1 with drive being where its currently at id have bigger problems lol

(what I think is.. reverse has a lot of play on the column so that has enough play that when I go to od and drive it already moved the shifter on the column to much so when I try for 2 and 1 its alrdy as far down the shifter will go) am I right? or at a loss lol

So the shifter on the column wont go lower to get it into low 2/1, so to make my shifter go down into that I have to disconnect the linkage with the truck in park, and see if I can move the selector up any higher into park manually underneath..then move my shifter on the column all the way up into park as far as it can go, then go back underneath and tighten the linkage back down and it should fix the slack in the column when I'm in reverse and hopefully be able to move the shifter into low 2 and 1?

Last edited by SquareChevy; 12-29-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #11
SquareChevy

the shifter on the column can only go down so far with it being disconnected right? cause if so that does mean reverse has to much play in it and the time its down in drive it is alrdy all the way down..If reverse has to much play in it, is what I said up top able to fix that? (just adjusting the shifting linkage?)

Last edited by SquareChevy; 12-30-2016 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:29 AM   #12
donut

Is your shift indicator still intact? If so, it should be pretty close if adjusted correctly. (maybe not perfect, but close.)
Let me back up and cover some basics.
The column shifter and linkage can flop around like a fish out of water when disconnected. The stops or "clicks" you feel when you shift are actually in the transmission. When you shift off the side of the transmission, you should feel the "clicks".
(I usually check where Park and D are located before I disconnect the linkage, to kinda index which way to turn)

When it's adjusted correctly you should have.
1) Cranking in P and N (no other gears)
2) Reverse lights in R.
3) Access to all gears.

This is assuming that cab mounts are decent, that the trans/transfer case isn't held down with duct tape, the neutral safety switch and reverse light switch are functional.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
SquareChevy

Quote:
Is your shift indicator still intact? If so, it should be pretty close if adjusted correctly. (maybe not perfect, but close.)
Let me back up and cover some basics.
The column shifter and linkage can flop around like a fish out of water when disconnected. The stops or "clicks" you feel when you shift are actually in the transmission. When you shift off the side of the transmission, you should feel the "clicks".
(I usually check where Park and D are located before I disconnect the linkage, to kinda index which way to turn)

When it's adjusted correctly you should have.
1) Cranking in P and N (no other gears)
2) Reverse lights in R.
3) Access to all gears.

This is assuming that cab mounts are decent, that the trans/transfer case isn't held down with duct tape, the neutral safety switch and reverse light switch are functional.
now about the reverse lights in R..i can easily get my trans into reverse but my lights only come on when I push up on the column shifter a little, reason for this is because it has play in the linkage? Also my indicator isn't in the dash anymore..i don't really need it I got so use to driving it I just count or feel where it needs to go

ok I gotcha, and my trans and transfer case are bolted down correctly and about my cab mounts, they seem pretty good too so ill check the linkage soon I guess
Old 12-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #14
SquareChevy

ok the truck cranks in park and reverse, went underneath and where the long rod comes threw that bolt is sticking about 2 to 2 1/2 inchs past, I heard its suppose to be around 1 inch threw, is that correct?
Old 12-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #15
SquareChevy

Ok so I went underneath, I'm at a lost on adjusting it, I manually turned it and I do have every gear, but everytime I move the rod that connects to the column I lose some other gear, I moved it up and think I lost park, (reverse was the new park), moved it down and lost drive(still had overdrive) or vise versa..what else can I adjust? or am I even doing it correctly? should I disconnect the linkage, manually put it in 1, then move the column shifter into 1 and go back and connect it?
Old 12-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #16
cadillac_al

I don't know why you aren't getting 1 and 2 but it has to be adjusted so neutral lines up and it starts in neutral. Maybe somebody put the wrong shift rod on it. I don't know if they are different or not but it's a pretty simple set up.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote