The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
tommy217xxx

Fitech question

Hey everyone, merry Christmas! I want add fuel injection to my 76. It's got a 350. I've heard good things about the fitech system. I need the under 400hp system.

Has anyone used this system? Do I need the fuel command system also?

76 gmc 1500 swb patina finish
Dropped 4/5, 350/4 speed

80 Chevy c10 lwb
305/350
tommy217xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
Tiger Joe

Re: Fitech question

I haven't used it yet but I've been researching adding fuel injection to our 79.

From what I read the command center caused guys issues and seems like you are better off to take the time and just run an electric fuel pump and a return line
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Leonard60

Subscribed I too am looking. Wondering about the Holley sniper setup.
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
Nick_R_23

I've been researching these two systems the last few months and I ended up purchasing a Holley Sniper EFI kit which should be in at the end of January. Both kits seemed fairly comparable at the same price points, but it seemed like there were just as many negative reviews against FiTech as there were positive ones. I've read from the guys that have ran them that the tech support is either hit or miss with them too. There were a few guys that jumped from the FiTech to the Sniper and they claim that they liked the Sniper system better. Plus, I'm familiar with Holley products and Tech support, so I know what I have there. To me it didn't seems like the FiTech was worth it at this point personally.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
tommy217xxx

Do u have to change the fuel pump? It looks like I would need a high pressure pump. If so, what fuel pump did u end up with?

Dropped 4/5, 350/4 speed

80 Chevy c10 lwb
305/350
Old 12-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
tommy217xxx

What kit did u go with?

Dropped 4/5, 350/4 speed

80 Chevy c10 lwb
305/350
Old 12-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
Nick_R_23

You do need a high pressure pump. Most EFI systems require 58 psi and most pumps are capable of supplying much more than that. The Holley it has a built in regulator, so as long as whatever pump you use meets their requirements you'll be fine. I'm using an external pump to make things easier and have minimal modifications to my sending unit/pickup. I will be using a two-line sending unit for my system, and Holley Hydramat for my pickup so I can meet everything in my tank low pressure and not have to have a baffle inside my tank. I will be using the old return line as a vent for the charcoal canister, and make a new, larger hole in the blank spot on the sending unit as the new return hole for the Holley kit.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
king-918

Walbro and save your money

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
kdh454

For fuel, I used '87 tanks and pickups, pumps are AC Delco EP381. I used an Aeromotive regulator, but you can use a filter/regulator combo out of a 99 Corvette and save some money. That is about all you need if you have a single tank. If you have dual tanks, you'll need a tank selector switch with a higher pressure rating and a little more wiring.
kdh454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #10
44boggers

I have a new FITECH system on my 305. I have had other systems before and this is by far the best. I have not driven the truck yet, just fired it up on the frame. But it fired up right away and idled. No stumble or anything. None of my other systems responded this well. I use an aeromotive intake pump.

In regard to people having positive and negative feedback on customer service, all i can say is that I was very pleased. I had one small issue with a fuel setting, right away they answered my questions and the system runs great. Its a very easy install, very clean and the entire set up looks slick. No external computer to have to mount like some other systems.

Here is a small video of it firing up. It was 40 degrees out and was not run prior to this start up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DPMFuyejUA
44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44boggers View Post
I have a new FITECH system on my 305. I have had other systems before and this is by far the best. I have not driven the truck yet, just fired it up on the frame. But it fired up right away and idled. No stumble or anything. None of my other systems responded this well. I use an aeromotive intake pump.

In regard to people having positive and negative feedback on customer service, all i can say is that I was very pleased. I had one small issue with a fuel setting, right away they answered my questions and the system runs great. Its a very easy install, very clean and the entire set up looks slick. No external computer to have to mount like some other systems.

Here is a small video of it firing up. It was 40 degrees out and was not run prior to this start up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DPMFuyejUA
What are these other systems you've tried?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
44boggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
What are these other systems you've tried?
I have the fast efi on my rock crawler but it does not use the computer that comes with the system. I use a stock gm computer with a chip burned specific To my motor specs. I can't remember the company I got my system from as I have tried to find them again (about 6 years later) and can't find them. Even fast didn't know of companies using their throttle body and a stock computer.

Then my buddy has a fast system with their entire system. His system is a bit nicer because you can monitor all the vitals and with mine you can not.

So I guess I have only used one other system but with two different set ups.

Both my fast system and my friends always seems to run a bit rich regardless of any changes we make. Compared to the fitech it does not fire up and idle as nice.

Plus fitech is much cheaper and I like the fact that the computer is in the throttle body. Less stuff to mount.
Posted via Mobile Device
44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote