The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
TKCR

Small Soda & Media Blasters what works well?

Just like the title says. I've been looking at purchasing a small unit that will take off surface rust. What do you guys use and what works well?

Mainly what I'm looking to use it on would be seat tracks and seat frames, to remove surface rust before re painting. So far I've been using a wire brush, but I'm looking for something to do the same but with less manual labor and less time.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Re: Small Soda & Media Blasters what works well?

I prefer this, may be a bit more than your willing to spend tho,

https://www.dustlessblasting.com/DB150.html
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #3
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57NAPCO View Post
I prefer this, may be a bit more than your willing to spend tho,

https://www.dustlessblasting.com/DB150.html
Without knowing what the price is, they don't even show what the prices are.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
crewcabshorty

Hello . I have cabinet blaster that I use alot . It works good on those small parts like your seat brackets up to wheel size parts . I purchased mine from TIP tool in canfield ohio . It keeps the mess down and reuses the media .
crewcabshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
crewcabshorty

The prices depend on the size of cabinet you get . Mine was around 300.00
crewcabshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewcabshorty View Post
Hello . I have cabinet blaster that I use alot . It works good on those small parts like your seat brackets up to wheel size parts . I purchased mine from TIP tool in canfield ohio . It keeps the mess down and reuses the media .
I've seen the cabinet ones, I just don't really have the room for one. But I will look at TIP Tool and see what all they do have.

Right now, what I'm looking at is a couple of items that Eastwood has. I thought I would try something small out and see how it does and see how much I would really use it. I only thought about it, because a couple of the bottom seat frames I have gotten, have surface rust on them. And its more than what I would want to try and manually sand off.

http://www.eastwood.com/speed-blast-...b3AaApgN8P8HAQ

http://www.eastwood.com/blast-out-of...Up8aAkex8P8HAQ
Old 12-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
homemade87

Also keep in mind you have to have a good size compressor to keep up . Also I was looking at harbor freight the other day and they have one on sale like you posted for a lot less money . Looks just like it . The small canister will most likely work you to death keeping it full . My opinion is I would get one with a larger canister with a hose and nozzle . I had use one for years . I use blasting sand from the local lumber store . Sand cuts rust pretty good . Just a couple more things to think about .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Also keep in mind you have to have a good size compressor to keep up . Also I was looking at harbor freight the other day and they have one on sale like you posted for a lot less money . Looks just like it . The small canister will most likely work you to death keeping it full . My opinion is I would get one with a larger canister with a hose and nozzle . I had use one for years . I use blasting sand from the local lumber store . Sand cuts rust pretty good . Just a couple more things to think about .
I do have a compressor, this one. I did see they have a smaller cabinet style, the only concern I have with the cabinet, is that being able to use it on larger parts. Can a hose and nozzle be hooked up to the cabinet style?
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
homemade87

You don't have to get a cabinet style . Being you are cramped for space one like this is one I was referring to . Just do your blasting in the yard with the sand so no clean up . If you wanted to save and recycle the sand just put some plastic down . http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=sand+blast The compressor will work but it may be on the edge of good results . Just have to stop and rest the comp and let it catch up .

I have used this type for small parts for years .Obviously its not a professional blaster . And you can throw it on the shelf when done .
Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 AM   #10
TKCR

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Decided on these items from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-h...gun-95793.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasiv...net-42202.html

And of course the media and a air filter, since they recommend it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...tor-68232.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-lbs-...dia-61874.html

The small bench cabinet, i can probably find some room for this. It can be used for the small items. And then the blaster gun, outside, for the larger items.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:06 AM   #11
homemade87

Looks like a good plan . Use the filter for sure . Moisture in the media is not good .
Old 12-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
rusty76

I bought one of those blasting guns a few years back and had little luck with it. My compressor couldn't handle it at all. Looking back I wonder if one of those pressure pots wouldn't be better. I have never used one but I wonder how much compressor you would need. With the gun it would get clogged up. I also think you should get a dryer for your compressor before using it. I think moisture was a problem also. Good luck.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #13
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
I bought one of those blasting guns a few years back and had little luck with it. My compressor couldn't handle it at all. Looking back I wonder if one of those pressure pots wouldn't be better. I have never used one but I wonder how much compressor you would need. With the gun it would get clogged up. I also think you should get a dryer for your compressor before using it. I think moisture was a problem also. Good luck.
I did get one, an air filter/dryer. I read all the reviews before making a decision. There were several reviews that stated what needed to be done and what was needed, as far as equipment wise, to make these work properly. But THANKS for the heads up. I am still researching on how to make these things work flawlessly up until I receive it.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #14
rusty76

You will have much better luck than me I guarantee it.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #15
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
You will have much better luck than me I guarantee it.
I hope so. I read a lot of reviews before deciding. And that was one of the complaints, was clogging. So I hope getting the air filter/dryer does indeed help.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #16
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I hope so. I read a lot of reviews before deciding. And that was one of the complaints, was clogging. So I hope getting the air filter/dryer does indeed help.
Word of warning . That filter will only do so much . The best filter to get is one that takes a roll of toilet paper . This is one painters use and does a good job . If the other filter does not do what you need look into the paper filter .
Old 01-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #17
TKCR

My workbench blaster came this week, so I've been spending the weekend re-arranging the garage to accommodate it. It's sitting on the generator right now, but if I ever need it, I'm screwed. The weight would be too much to move after the media gets added. So I ordered a Gladiator Adjustable table, the generator can sit under the table and then the Blaster on the table. It's rated for 3000 lbs!!! I have Gladiator Cabinets now, so it will fit right in.
The air compressor was right beside the blaster, but to accommodate the table it had to move to between the garage doors. I'll just have to run the air hose over when I use the blaster.

I'm still waiting on the filter and then I went ahead and ordered the other types of inline dryer/filters. Going to try a couple of different ones, since they are disposable, I'll see which works the best. So it's going to be another week or so, before I get to play with the blaster, lol.

As you can see, Big Red is all covered and tucked in, safe & warm. Winter sucks!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #18
vht

I had a small Harbor frieght one I revamped and it worked good. Only problem is, they make you want a bigger one. I priced them and about fell over, so I built one. Works great and I don't have hardly anything in it. Siphon feed is crap. On my small one, and the one I built, I put a tube, or piece of pipe in the bottom with a cap to empty it. I come out the side of the pipe to connect my hose to the gun. On the top of the tube my hose attaches to I drilled a 1/4 in hole. This keeps it from stopping up and blowing air. Old guy told me about this when I had the small one. It would keep quitting and was a pain. I converted it over to bottom feed with the air hole and it worked perfect.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #19
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vht View Post
I had a small Harbor frieght one I revamped and it worked good. Only problem is, they make you want a bigger one. I priced them and about fell over, so I built one. Works great and I don't have hardly anything in it. Siphon feed is crap. On my small one, and the one I built, I put a tube, or piece of pipe in the bottom with a cap to empty it. I come out the side of the pipe to connect my hose to the gun. On the top of the tube my hose attaches to I drilled a 1/4 in hole. This keeps it from stopping up and blowing air. Old guy told me about this when I had the small one. It would keep quitting and was a pain. I converted it over to bottom feed with the air hole and it worked perfect.
do you happen to have any reference pics? thanks man!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #20
Jeepwm69

Quote:
My workbench blaster came this week, so I've been spending the weekend re-arranging the garage to accommodate it. It's sitting on the generator right now, but if I ever need it, I'm screwed. The weight would be too much to move after the media gets added. So I ordered a Gladiator Adjustable table, the generator can sit under the table and then the Blaster on the table. It's rated for 3000 lbs!!! I have Gladiator Cabinets now, so it will fit right in.
The air compressor was right beside the blaster, but to accommodate the table it had to move to between the garage doors. I'll just have to run the air hose over when I use the blaster.

I'm still waiting on the filter and then I went ahead and ordered the other types of inline dryer/filters. Going to try a couple of different ones, since they are disposable, I'll see which works the best. So it's going to be another week or so, before I get to play with the blaster, lol.

As you can see, Big Red is all covered and tucked in, safe & warm. Winter sucks!!!
In for reviews. I have the same compressor, and would like a blasting setup for small parts.

What did what you've bought so far set you back as far as blasting stuff?

If it works reasonably well for you, I'll probably get the same exact setup.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #21
friscobob

I made my own using a blow gun I already had , some clear plastic tubing and a large box of soda. I'll take a pic of it soon as I find it in a box somewheres. It's pure simplicity for small jobs, I use it outdoors where I can just hose it off the driveway.
Bob
friscobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #22
vht

I'[[ try and get pics of mine. Been sick, so moving slow. I traded for some partical board, so II used it for the cabinet. Put metal on the back and sides, inside, so the sand wouldn't hurt the wood, Used a glass out of a sand blast cabinet, but I am going to up grade to a bigger glass. I got 2 pieces of thick glass out of 2 windows I took out of the garage, going to use 1 of them, they're bigger. 2x4's for the frame. Bought a gun off of ebay, hose from lowes. I'll get pics and go into more detail this evening.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #23
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
In for reviews. I have the same compressor, and would like a blasting setup for small parts.

What did what you've bought so far set you back as far as blasting stuff?

If it works reasonably well for you, I'll probably get the same exact setup.
The cabinet was $120, filter $20 and then I bought several of the disposable air dryers. Those are less than $10. And then of course, they always have that 20-25% coupon. So in all it really isn't that expensive. Oh, I forgot, you need media. I bought a 50lb box, it was $50.

So in all, you would have just under $200.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #24
vht

I'll post some pics of mine here so it'll maybe help somebody. First off if you buy a small one, you are going to want bigger. Done went through that. Second, for media in fine, medium, and course, Tractor Supply is $8.00 a 50lb bag. You can buy other types, walnut shell and what have you in plastic buckets there, it's higher and I've never used it. I've used the fine media to do intakes and even carb parts. Mine is around 3x4 ft. Wish it was bigger. Like I said before, partical board or plywood, whatever you got. Lower frame, legs, are 2x4's, inside I ripped some 2x4's into 2x2's and used them, I screwed it all together. I used liquid nails to seal each seam. Bolted angle iron inside to lay my steel screen on. Ordered gun and gloves off ebay, TP tools also has all kinds of stuff, I've ordered from them before. They will send you a free catalog. You can barely see the 1/4 in hole I drilled in the fitting the hose attaches to. I mounted a light in the top, center, and then I put a 750 watt I think in the left side back corner so there is plenty of light. Shop vac sucks out the dust, need to make a filter system for it. Mounted 2 light switches, 1 for shop vac, 1 for lights, glove holes need to be bigger, they work but deep as it is I'm going to make them bigger to make it easier to move around. The seals, or rings for them right now are plastic drain inserts I bought at Lowes and cut the center out. Don't mean to jack the thread but thought this might help someone. Any questions, ask away.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #25
Jeepwm69

Quote:
The cabinet was $120, filter $20 and then I bought several of the disposable air dryers. Those are less than $10. And then of course, they always have that 20-25% coupon. So in all it really isn't that expensive. Oh, I forgot, you need media. I bought a 50lb box, it was $50.

So in all, you would have just under $200.
That's not too bad at all

I guess the media is reusable for a LOT of little projects too.

I do a lot of work on ATV's and Jeeps, so a blaster would be great for little, non mechanical parts.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote