The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
pete57

Firewall markings

Anybody know what these firewall markings are? I'm guessing one of them is a paint code. The truck is a 1964 but cant find what they are for looking at '64 codes. Thanks..
Attached Images

pete57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Firewall markings

Hi Pete,

I've been cleaning up the firewall on Dad's 66 ... getting ready to paint/detail the engine compartment & swap in a different engine/trans. Anyway, I noticed some similar markings and have been doing a little research on the subject. Here is a good thread --> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=sequence

I'm not sure about the "2" that's on the upper part of your firewall over by the heater box. Dad's has a "1" over there.

I believe the "32BC" on the upper part of the firewall corresponds to the RPO L32 code for a 283 V8 engine. Dad's truck has "32BA" in that location and his truck had a 283 with a 3-speed. It looks like yours has a 4-speed so that's probably the difference in the "BC" vs. "BA" suffix portion of the code. And it looks like yours has a couple more numbers over beyond that that I can't quite read (looks kind of like "45" but I'm not sure). Those probably correspond to some other RPO (regular production option) code.

I'm pretty sure the "34" down in the center of the firewall is the body identification code for a fleetside pickup ... Dad's is the same.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #3
yelmer

was the truck built in st louis they were big on marking the firewalls
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
pete57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Hi Pete,

I've been cleaning up the firewall on Dad's 66 ... getting ready to paint/detail the engine compartment & swap in a different engine/trans. Anyway, I noticed some similar markings and have been doing a little research on the subject. Here is a good thread --> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=sequence

I'm not sure about the "2" that's on the upper part of your firewall over by the heater box. Dad's has a "1" over there.

I believe the "32BC" on the upper part of the firewall corresponds to the RPO L32 code for a 283 V8 engine. Dad's truck has "32BA" in that location and his truck had a 283 with a 3-speed. It looks like yours has a 4-speed so that's probably the difference in the "BC" vs. "BA" suffix portion of the code. And it looks like yours has a couple more numbers over beyond that that I can't quite read (looks kind of like "45" but I'm not sure). Those probably correspond to some other RPO (regular production option) code.

I'm pretty sure the "34" down in the center of the firewall is the body identification code for a fleetside pickup ... Dad's is the same.
Thanks for the link. the truck is a 283 4 speed, i was thinking that was a 4S for 4 speed, but i might be wrong.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
pete57

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelmer View Post
was the truck built in st louis they were big on marking the firewalls
Cant find where the truck was built.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete57 View Post
Thanks for the link. the truck is a 283 4 speed, i was thinking that was a 4S for 4 speed, but i might be wrong.
You're welcome ... yeah, "4S" for 4 speed could very well be what that is. I think some of the examples in that other thread I linked to used similar abbreviations like "PS" for power steering and "AC" for air conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete57 View Post
Cant find where the truck was built.
Take a look at the 6th character of the VIN. It will be an "S" if the truck was built in St. Louis ... which by the way is where Dad's 66 was built.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote