The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
todds66

New fender help

I purchased two new front fenders as my old ones were pretty much beyond repair. After having them mounted there's obvious gaps in the front at both top and bottom. Has anyone else run into this issue and if so how did you remedy the problem to fix the new fenders?
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
racecougar

Re: New fender help

What is holding them out? Putting the front clip together with a mix of repop and original parts takes a fair amount of patience.

With some work, everything should line up correctly though.

Last edited by racecougar; 12-29-2016 at 09:50 PM.
racecougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
dodgiesdad

As racecougar stated it will take patience. That being said when I did my truck i had to elongate holes, drill out and correct spot welds to get my aftermarket fenders to properly align. Personally I would rather do that then work with fixing badly rusted originals.
dodgiesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
Vinceg

Hello Todds66, I have had the same problem lining up fenders to the grill support. It takes some time to get them lined up but it can be done. First loosening the bolts for the inner fender to the back of the grill support. Also loosen the bolts that hold the grill support to the rad support. Take all the bolts that you have in the top side of the fender out. Leave one in the back that holds it to the cab. Doesn't need to be tight. Just to keep it from flopping around. This way you should be able to move all the parts around and your not trying to force pieces together when one of them is fixed. I found the one in the top front of the fender the hardest one to get in(the one you can see the threads on in your first picture). At this point you should be able to suck the fender up tight to the grill support. Check that it does. Don't worry about lining it up at this point just make sure the flanges will mate nice and tight. If it does you are getting closer. Lol! Now loosen the bolt or bolts that you put in to check the mating(gap). Now start to put all the bolts in the front of the fender that hold it to the grill support. Do not tighten any of the bolts at this time. Make sure you can start all the bolts and that they are not cross threading. This is where you might have to round out or elongate a hole if required. As you put bolts in make sure you can still manipulate the parts to line up. A second pair of hands is nice at this point. If you cannot pull the line up to where it should be then you will want to work that hole a little bit so you can get all the bolts in and still be able to move the fender to line it up with the grill support. Once all the bolts are in the front of the fender line it to the grill support and start tightening it up. Pushing and pulling it into position as you go. Once again second pair of hands is nice to have as you do this. Even just to make sure it stays in position while you tighten bolts. Once the fender is lined and secured to the grill support start all your other bolts. Once again you might need to manipulate some holes. Once all your bolts are in start tightening it down. Make sure you pay attention to your door gap as well and your alignment as you go till they're all tightened down. I hope this makes sence and you find it helpful. Sorry it is so long winded. I'm a little sleep deprived at the moment and I will probably read this after and say what was I trying to say again?? Lol! Good luck and take your time you'll get it.
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
todds66

Racecougar: I'm not sure what is holding them out. Due to physical ailments (need for back surgery I cannot do work as I had hoped). I had work done at a body shop. I had to go talk with them three times just to get it to where it's at now. Yes, I pulled truck out because I didn't want to pay out any more money.

Vinceg: Thanks for all the info. I will definitely pass this on to the next shop I have work done. Really sucks that I can't do my own work!!!

dodgiedad: thanks for you response. I have the patience of zero with these shops that say they can do the work but lack the patience and quality craftsmanship they say they have.

Todd
Old 01-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
Vinceg

Todds66 sorry to hear about your back. I'm also sorry to hear that it is a body shop that has left your truck in that shape. I hope they haven't charged you too much for that quality of work. I'm very surprised that they're not able to tighten up those gaps. I would ask around to body shops. Show them the pictures and see what they say could or might be the problem. It isn't rocket science and short of manipulating a few holes it should come together much better than it is now. Anyone that starts talking about cutting and welding thank them for the time and walk away. Not saying that isn't what some reproduction parts need but that isn't what your parts should require. Good luck with both your back and finding a shop to help with your fenders.
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:48 AM   #7
andyh1956

I know repro parts can be a PITA sometimes, but I bet most yall are like me, NOT rich! Any way there are a pair of NOS fenders on ebay right now. One look at the price & you will know why they make repros!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
rvrfoot

hey todd66, where did you buy the parts? Why i ask is brothers trucks has a shop truck. Thay have some after market parts on it. Fenders, bed, doors when i go there if i had a question i go look at the truck.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:04 AM   #9
todds66

rvrfoot: i purchased the fenders from Classic Industries in Huntington Beach.

Vinceg: Thanks, I will be looking for another body shop to figure this out.

andyh1956: Thanks for your help