The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Hawker7

Trans Pan on Turbo 350

I'm trying to remove the Trans pan from my Turbo 350 on my 2wd 72 C10. I can't seem to remove the pan as it gets stuck between the cross member and internal parts inside the trans. Is there any trick into getting the pan out?
Hawker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Trans Pan on Turbo 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker7 View Post
I'm trying to remove the Trans pan from my Turbo 350 on my 2wd 72 C10. I can't seem to remove the pan as it gets stuck between the cross member and internal parts inside the trans. Is there any trick into getting the pan out?

I don't remember running into that problem. I would just loosen or remove the trans mount bolts and jack the back of the trans up enough to get it out. Try loosening them up first to keep everything lined up. Keep backing them out and jacking the trans up a little bit at a time. Post back and let us know if that works....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

What LockDoc says will work. I've seen this in cars, but not in trucks. Keep an eye out for any shims that may be between the trans mount and the crossmember.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
SoCoC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I don't remember running into that problem. I would just loosen or remove the trans mount bolts and jack the back of the trans up enough to get it out. Try loosening them up first to keep everything lined up. Keep backing them out and jacking the trans up a little bit at a time. Post back and let us know if that works....

LockDoc
Agreed. That's how I just did mine. Recommend using the cork and rubber gasket by Fel Pro. Make sure to turn the pan over on a flat surface and flatten out all the bends and dents on the lip of the pan and around the bolt holes. Use a 3/8" or even a 1/4" drive ratchet to make sure to not over tighten your pan bolts and ruin your brand new gasket.
SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
Hawker7

Thanks, That worked perfectly. Just jacked up the trans a bit and it came right off. The reason I was taking the pan off was I have slipping issues in Drive. If I put the trans in "D" and tried to go it would act like the trans was slipping. It would get going after a while and a good amount of slipping. It would start out fine if I started in "2" and then just shifted into "D" manually after I was at 40 MPH or so.

I dropped the pan on found this. I bought the trans from a shop that rebuilds them and it has about 2,800 miles on it. Warranty is long gone. Shroud there be this much built up? All of it can be picked up by a magnet.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
garyd1961

I'm not a trans expert but that is way too much crud for 2800 miles. What did the screen in the pickup look like? I'll bet the clutches are burnt.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
Hawker7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
I'm not a trans expert but that is way too much crud for 2800 miles. What did the screen in the pickup look like? I'll bet the clutches are burnt.
Here is the filter.
Attached Images