The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1960-1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
62 Longbed

WTB : Starter Bolts

Somehow I lost my starter bolts for my 1965 with a Small Block .. Its 3 -bolts total that connect the starter to the engine ... Not the standard two bolt style .. Any Help would be Appreciated !!! Don't even know the size ... Sorry
Please send me price and shipping ...
62 Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: WTB : Starter Bolts

Does your starter have bolts that go vertically up into the engine block or horizontally into the bellhousing?

Since you said 3 bolt, I am going to assume it's the horizontal bellhousing mount style because most of the vertical bolt ones only used 2 bolts (there were some applications that used 3 though).

All 3 of the bolts used on the horizontal bolt bellhousing-mounted starters have 3/8"-16 (coarse) threads. Two of them are 1" long and the other is 1-3/4" long. And unlike the vertical bolts that have special knurled shanks, these are just standard bolts that should be available at most hardware stores. Grade 5 will be plenty strong enough but you might have to go grade 8 on the 1-3/4" long bolt since not many places stock grade 5 bolts in quarter inch length increments. I believe the factory installation also used split ring lock washers under the heads of these bolts.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #3
62 Longbed

Re: WTB : Starter Bolts

Ray ,

Thank You for letting me know and giving me sizes .. Yes they are horizontally mounted bolts that go into the bell housing .. That gives me a direction to go .. Couldn't remember what they looked like , pitch or length .. I will go get some tomorrow ... Thanks for pointing me in the right direction !!
62 Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote