The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2017, 05:04 AM   #1
HAULIN' IT

Cowl Measurement

Could I bother someone for a measurement? What I'm looking to know is the width of the cowl on a '47-'54 truck...from the hood side straight back to the door (only the part you see with the hood closed in the area of the louver on some of these trucks). This doesn't have to be perfect or an exact...just needs to be close. I'm working on an alternative make truck & need as much "under dash" room as I can without it looking "wrong" & just wondered what these trucks are. The final number would be based on to scale for looks, but just wondering that number. Thanks Guys! Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Advanced Design

Re: Cowl Measurement

Can you show a picture of where you need the dimension. Based on the description I can guess though I am not certain.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
HAULIN' IT

Thank You for the response. What I'm asking is...if you walked up to your truck on the passenger's side & stuck a tape measure over the edge of the cowl closest to the door (right above the louver) & measured forward to the edge closest to the hood. I'm guessing it's something in the 6"-8" range. While you're there could you grab the same on the door...hook the tape measure over the back edge & measure to the front (about the door handle height) of the door?

I'm trying to get an idea of the cab opening & floor/foot room compared to the '46 Studebaker I'm gearing up for. I believe the 'baker is considerable less than the GM. I'm 6' 1" & am going to need all I can get & am thinking about adding an 1 1/2" or so to the mentioned area of the cab/cowl which will help solve several things, but don't want it to look like a stretched limo or something. I feel the proportions on the '47-'54 GM trucks are "right on" & is loosely the same basic shape. The 'baker is much taller from the ground to the bottom of the windows, but I have a plan for that. Just would like to know those numbers as a guide. Thanks to anyone that can help, Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm guessing this is what you need?..
Attached Images

mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
HAULIN' IT

Exactly! Thank You!