The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
MacQuigley

Gen IV Big Block Head Gaskets

Guy's, Ive a question re the correct head gaskets for my 454.

It seems there are 2 style of block and gasket. Some blocks have 3 coolant holes on each bank, I believe all heads have them, and some don't.

Gaskets come with or without coolant holes as you would imagine.

My block has the 3 coolant holes but typically the gasket set I bought came without the 3 holes.

I am taking this up with Summit because there was no mention if this in their description but that doesn't help me get the engine back together.

I have been talking with a supplier here in the UK and the literature they sent me seems to indicate that I can fit a gasket with no holes even if my block has them, in effect blocking these coolant holes. So info on the web does seem to support this but whats the point of having the holes and blocking them off. I have to assume they are there for a reason. Maybe not, other info indicates that yes its nice to have them but they don't make that much difference.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting the solid gaskets to a block with the coolant holes?

Bill
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Gen IV Big Block Head Gaskets

This Super Chevy article discusses head gaskets for the Gen IV blocks:
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/456...e-generations/
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
MacQuigley

Re: Gen IV Big Block Head Gaskets

Thanks Rocknrod.

That's a good article for many things. Ive only had a chance to scan it so far I will read it in detail.

The section I have read about gaskets doesn't seem to mention the specific issue I'm looking at which is the 3 holes as shown in the below pic

I can get a set of the correct ones here in the UK all be it for about $150. I'll read through this tonight but unless I'm happy that its safe to use what I have I'll order these. Not going to risk an engine over $150 worth of gaskets!
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote