The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 PM   #1
vernair

Door Hinge Installation HELP

I've searched around and can't seem to find a thread explaining how to install a door hinge. I bought my car door and it was (essentially) missing the upper door hinge. The problem is it seems as though the bolt holes aren't threaded and so the bolts would need nuts on the back BUT there's no access to the space from inside/below/above. Is my only option to cut open the kickpanel behind the AC vent?? I feel like I'm missing something pretty obvious here...

The truck is a 1971 GMC K2500 4x4 and here's a photo:
Attached Images

vernair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
elkniks

Re: Door Hinge Installation HELP

Wow, that sucks. I would spend some time with a coat hanger or something first, but your right that last resort your going to have to cut a hole to get that plate with the threads in it.
elkniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:57 PM   #3
vernair

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkniks View Post
Wow, that sucks. I would spend some time with a coat hanger or something first, but your right that last resort your going to have to cut a hole to get that plate with the threads in it.
Oh so there is a plate back there on the inside?? Maybe it dropped down. Ugh.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
elkniks

yep, there is a big thick steel plate with three threaded nuts that was captured up top but fell. I bet you can fish it out, or up then do some creative bolt holding as you install hinge and never remove again.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:14 AM   #5
70LonghornCST

If you can fish it out, I would recommend drilling holes in the yellow indicated areas in the pic I attached. Then, insert all the bolts, then weld that puppy in place. That way if you ever do need to remove the hinge, you don't have that same problem. I guarantee you that the plat is at bottom section of that pillar. It'll be fun getting it out, but it's possible. Good luck!
Attached Images

1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:17 AM   #6
drewbert41

Is that plate welded from the factory or does it just fall off if you remove the hinges?
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:46 AM   #7
402Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbert41 View Post
Is that plate welded from the factory or does it just fall off if you remove the hinges?
There is a "cage" that is tack welded inside the pillar. The nuts float inside the cage and allow for door adjustment. Rust can cause the tack welds to come apart.
402Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

It's no big deal. Just get some friends over and have them flip the truck over and hold it until you get the bolts started. It's better if you drain the gas first.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:11 AM   #9
vernair

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
It's no big deal. Just get some friends over and have them flip the truck over and hold it until you get the bolts started. It's better if you drain the gas first.
You joke but I'm pretty much at that point.

So after no luck with the coat hanger, I drilled a hole towards the bottom and found NOTHING (except sadness). Then I got my little iphone in there and took a photo going UP - and there it was, bent up from where it was supposed to be and mangled. No idea how that could've happened.

Soooo...I'm on to plan b, which I'm not sure what that is just yet, but i'll report back - or if anyone has a bright idea, let me know.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:31 AM   #10
Robznob11

Wink Re: Door Hinge Installation HELP

Well your not going to like this....but i had to do it....when i went to cutting rust out of mine one fell out and i did not catch it and of course chunked it by mistake. I put a WTB add in our fourm and a awesome board member gave me one...even paid shipping...there is no other forum like this one i would put money on it!. Once i recieved it well .....i cut off the bottom door piller and welded a cage around it like factory. I fabbed my own. You can get replacement pillars cheap, and to be honest i would not doubt if you need one anyway...these trucks are famous for rusting out the lower vent box ,lower pillar and rockers. I left mine open when i re done it so it would not hold leaves and dirt/water and happen again. I also deleted the factory air vents.....
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernair View Post
You joke but I'm pretty much at that point.

So after no luck with the coat hanger, I drilled a hole towards the bottom and found NOTHING (except sadness). Then I got my little iphone in there and took a photo going UP - and there it was, bent up from where it was supposed to be and mangled. No idea how that could've happened.

Soooo...I'm on to plan b, which I'm not sure what that is just yet, but i'll report back - or if anyone has a bright idea, let me know.
I'm sorry if I upset you. If I was closer I could drop by this week and lend a hand. Here is a link to another members reconstruction of his cab. It may give you some insight into a solution. I would guess the last bolt you removed was rusted and twisted the whole nut cage up. You may be able to get that last bolt restarted and try to untwist the cage. Or maybe it will break off the cab and fall down, so you can make a new plate and some how fish it into place. To reinstall my mirrors I dropped a string down the center bolt hole outside the door and then reached up through the speaker hole the PO had cut in the door. I then threaded it through the center hole on the backing plate and pulled it up and used a pick to line up another hole. Then used an extra long bolt through the mirror to get the first bolt started. I went through as I didn't want to have to remove the door panels on the Burban again. I hope this helps. Keep posting and I will try to assist.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:09 AM   #12
vernair

Thumbs up Re: Door Hinge Installation HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I'm sorry if I upset you. If I was closer I could drop by this week and lend a hand. Here is a link to another members reconstruction of his cab. It may give you some insight into a solution. I would guess the last bolt you removed was rusted and twisted the whole nut cage up. You may be able to get that last bolt restarted and try to untwist the cage. Or maybe it will break off the cab and fall down, so you can make a new plate and some how fish it into place. To reinstall my mirrors I dropped a string down the center bolt hole outside the door and then reached up through the speaker hole the PO had cut in the door. I then threaded it through the center hole on the backing plate and pulled it up and used a pick to line up another hole. Then used an extra long bolt through the mirror to get the first bolt started. I went through as I didn't want to have to remove the door panels on the Burban again. I hope this helps. Keep posting and I will try to assist.
Ha - Not at all. I was just joking right back. After a 6 hours of trying everything, I ended up drilling a 1.5" hole and threading carriage bolts from the inside out. Not the prettiest thing, but it worked (barely). We'll see what happens!

Thanks all for your help!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #13
HO455
Post Whore

Some help I was I see I forgot to post the link up. Dhoo!
Old 01-17-2017, 04:33 AM   #14
Ontcalimo

You can cut all areas except top area of the pillar where L nut assembly retainer is welded in place inside pillar, in which it is tack welded inside the pillar wall. Then pry out area (like opening the top area (lid) of a tin canned food can) or just cut out the entire area.
Retrieve the L nut assembly (with magnet or hook) (since it is obvious it fell from the pillar). Then place L nut assembly back in place and pushed in tabs to secure it in place. If it fell with the retaining assembly too (which I doubt) then tack weld it back into place or tack weld needed areas. Do not weld L nut assembly as it needs to be loose for door hinge adjustment. Then push everything back in place and spot weld it. You can also try to cut another one from a donor's vehicle pillar and used the cutout as a template when cutting out yours and welding it back in place.
Ontcalimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #15
elkniks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontcalimo View Post
You can cut all areas except top area of the pillar where L nut assembly retainer is welded in place inside pillar, in which it is tack welded inside the pillar wall. Then pry out area (like opening the top area (lid) of a tin canned food can) or just cut out the entire area.
Retrieve the L nut assembly (with magnet or hook) (since it is obvious it fell from the pillar). Then place L nut assembly back in place and pushed in tabs to secure it in place. If it fell with the retaining assembly too (which I doubt) then tack weld it back into place or tack weld needed areas. Do not weld L nut assembly as it needs to be loose for door hinge adjustment. Then push everything back in place and spot weld it. You can also try to cut another one from a donor's vehicle pillar and used the cutout as a template when cutting out yours and welding it back in place.
X2

Eventually the carriage bolt heads are going to rip through the thin sheet metal post. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here but it's going to be more work to fix the pulled out sheet metal in the future.