The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
AlecIsaacMullen

1979 Chevy C20 Roof Dent Help

About a year ago in windy October A large tree branch fell and knocked a dent in my roof. I didn't take any pictures because I was so crushed and at the time didn't think about filling a insurance claim with the apartment complex insurance. I'm trying to figure out what I can do without dropping a grand at a body shop considering the truck probably isn't worth much more than that. I'm not too worried about the paint as it will eventually receive a full paintjob, I would like to be able to get the bump out and do the touchup with bondo, and am looking to spend under $300. Any ideas?
Attached Images

AlecIsaacMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: 1979 Chevy C20 Roof Dent Help

Maybe rent or get a PortaPower and push it back out from the inside. That means removing parts from the interior, so that your pushing on the metal. At least that might get the worst of it out. I'm sure it will still have to be worked.

I would call your car insurance, they usually pay out for storm & hail damage. It doesn't ever hurt to make a phone call and ask.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
AlecIsaacMullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Maybe rent or get a PortaPower and push it back out from the inside. That means removing parts from the interior, so that your pushing on the metal. At least that might get the worst of it out. I'm sure it will still have to be worked.

I would call your car insurance, they usually pay out for storm & hail damage. It doesn't ever hurt to make a phone call and ask.
The interior is actually another piece of metal, I don't believe its removable but ill check. Ive never filed a claim before, do you think they would consider the vehicle totaled if the repair is estimated over the value of the car?
Old 01-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I had that same mother nature event on my truck last year and fixed it myself. Check this link, scroll down about halfway to the dent incident and repair: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=586042&page=6

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Jaysonb

A cheap stud welder from harbor freight should do the trick for you. If you have a wire feed welder, you can use it to weld studs of tig wire and get the same results.
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
AlecIsaacMullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Timber View Post
I had that same mother nature event on my truck last year and fixed it myself. Check this link, scroll down about halfway to the dent incident and repair: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=586042&page=6
This is great, I'm going have to pick up a stud welder and give it a try, thanks for the idea.