The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
Jstock85

Wire gauge vs wire color

Gentlemen:
I'm cleaning up some wiring on 85 c10. I have a couple questions on wire color and wire gauge. I need to fix a fray on the alternator to battery wire. I double check the web and it's red 10 gauge. Go to oreilly and auto zone and red conntectors are 8g and yellow is 12-10g.

So what do I do...buy the red because the exsisting wire is red or get the yellow that says 10g??? Or have I screwed this up completely!! Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device
Jstock85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
nonstop

Re: Wire gauge vs wire color

I'd go with the yellow. The red would work too, but you would have to make sure the crimp is good and tight, as there will be extra room in there for the wire to wiggle around.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
Jstock85

Great thanks for the quick response!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
homemade87

I think what you are asking is the color of the wire versus the color of the connector like a butt connector . The color of the wire on an auto does not dictate the wire gauge . But the color of the but connector does say what size it is . So they will not match . The color on a auto can be any color and any gauge . So in your case it would be the yellow connector for # 10 gauge .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
tate65

Go with the 8g vs the 12g. The circuit is rated for 10g to carry the current, a smaller wire, the 12g will not carry as much current as the bigger wire the 10g. Color is not as big an issue. ALso the longer the run the smaller gage wire you need. So a5ft run might need a 10g and 15ft would neeg a 8g. I didn't make the backwards rules.
https://www.tessco.com/yts/industry/...get_wired.html

Last edited by tate65; 01-16-2017 at 07:11 PM.
tate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Parts store wire is crap compared to even old OEM. It's all off shore copper with tin alloy filler metals but there isn't really many options unless you source various foot lengths in gauge and color needed I'm afraid. If you need specific colors and gauge sizes I can help you out if you want. I'd stay clear of crimp connectors altogether too-a soldering iron and/or correct Delphi style crimpers should be just as valuable as a good Snap On air ratchet imo.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
duallydude63

is there a picNpull or wrecking yard u could go to & jst buy some red wire of the same gauge??
duallydude63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
Jstock85

The wire is not a problem yet. I'm repairing frayed wires with butt connectors and replacing a couple ring connectors. I was afraid of putting too small a connection and burning something up. So I'm gathering if I use the correct gauge then the color becomes irrelevant. Would that assumption be correct?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
Jstock85

That's good info Tate!! I'll print that chart for future reference. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #10
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstock85 View Post
The wire is not a problem yet. I'm repairing frayed wires with butt connectors and replacing a couple ring connectors. I was afraid of putting too small a connection and burning something up. So I'm gathering if I use the correct gauge then the color becomes irrelevant. Would that assumption be correct?
Posted via Mobile Device
That is correct . Color on an auto is for recognition . Gauge of wire if for function . Then they put them together on a schematic . There is some general rule of thumb for colors . As we all know the black for ground and red for + . But both can be many gauge sizes . So yes to your question . As long as the gauge is correct to handle the load color don't matter unless you need the recognition .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote