The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
72Chey

Shorty plugs

I have headers on my 350 and I have a set of accel shorty plugs but hole 8 leaks oil and fouls up every couple thousand. I went to the local oriellys and they gave an autolite 255. Looks like a mower plug to me honestly. Only pro to it is that it's shorter than a stock plug even with a non-fouler on it and it fits perfect. The other option was an autolite 292 but it too looks like a mower plug lol. It is just me or are these legit plugs?
Attached Images

72Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:34 AM   #2
B. W.

Re: Shorty plugs

the autolite plug is a lawn mower plug, it's also a flat seat plug (uses a gasket) the other plugs have tapered seats. You're looking at an engine tear down sooner rather than later
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:48 AM   #3
dmjlambert

That is a pretty funny looking plug. When they're short it is pretty hard for them to not look like a lawn mower plug.

My Dad had a 74 Chevy C10 that was made for low-lead gas, and just a year or two later low-lead gas was no longer offered and there was only unleaded. I don't know how much of a contributing factor it was, but the engine after just a few years and few miles of use had a terrible fouling problem. He installed anti-foulers and the truck ran fine with them for many years after that.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:03 AM   #4
72Chey

I assumed it was a mower plug but it cross referenced with an autolite 147 which is what I normally run (little hotter than the normal 145) I was looking for a cheap shorty so I could put the anti foul on. Clearance is the issue. I can run a normal plug but it fouls fairly quick and its pretty close to the header lol
72Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
B. W.

I've run no-foulers on many engines & they work but it's just a band-aid. I worked on an Opel cadet many years ago that needed no-foulers in all 4 holes!

I've never run a small engine plug in a big engine, it's worth a try - it may not last long but it doesn't cost much either...let us know how it goes
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote