The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #1
BaroneDog

Anyone use the Quicktime RM 6036 Bellhousing for their swap?

This is a safety bellhousing that allows a Muncie/TKO style trans to bolt to an LS. But, is it worth the $600 price tag? An aluminum-titanium one can be had for about $250, but I like the idea of the safety bellhousing design like the Quicktime version. Thoughts?
BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
homemade87

Re: Anyone use the Quicktime RM 6036 Bellhousing for their swap?

I have a steel bell housing on my ls2/ls3 camaro . Its one I had on the first gen . 383 . It bolted up fine . I did have to get the Mcloud flywheel to make it work . I am using one of auto gears m23 super muncie on it . The flywheel has a rating SFI 1.1 rating billet steel .

Is it worth it . Yes . I turn my 600hp motor 7000 when shifting and never let up on the gas . Just think if the clutch or flywheel came apart and what it could do to your legs . A alum one will not contain it . Also what it could do to your car or truck and the cost it would take to fix it . So in my mind ,yes it does cost up front but is a good insurance policy . If you not planing on any major spirited driving then the alum one is fine . At the very lease get a steel billet flywheel instead of a cast iron one . Cast ones will come apart .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
BaroneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
I have a steel bell housing on my ls2/ls3 camaro . Its one I had on the first gen . 383 . It bolted up fine . I did have to get the Mcloud flywheel to make it work . I am using one of auto gears m23 super muncie on it . The flywheel has a rating SFI 1.1 rating billet steel .
Thanks for the reply! I am with you on the safety aspect! Definitely worth the money. I just wanted to make sure there were no other compatibility issues that made it a lot more trouble to install than a "standard" bellhousing. Are you sure you used the RM-6036 version? I thought that one was just for the LS style motor. The Gen 1 bellhousings have a slightly different bolt pattern so one bolt hole does not line up.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroneDog View Post
Thanks for the reply! I am with you on the safety aspect! Definitely worth the money. I just wanted to make sure there were no other compatibility issues that made it a lot more trouble to install than a "standard" bellhousing. Are you sure you used the RM-6036 version? I thought that one was just for the LS style motor. The Gen 1 bellhousings have a slightly different bolt pattern so one bolt hole does not line up.
I did use the one of off my first gen . Like you said it had one bolt hole that did not line up . Was not a problem . The one you are wanting to use should have no problem , but I do not have any experiences with it .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

A buddy of mine has a darge 340 and is using a quicktime bell and putting a a t56 from a viper behind it..I was helping him put it together and we were having trouble getting it on the dowels pins..made sure 3-4 times the clutch was centered but the dowels were half a hole off..he got to internet reading and it said to use offset dowel pins to make it work..then he found in the directions where it said to drill out the bolt and dowel pin holes, install longer dowels in engine, center the trans and weld heavy washers on bellhousing when you have it lined up..I never heard of such but it had instructions telling to do this.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
BaroneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
A buddy of mine has a darge 340 and is using a quicktime bell and putting a a t56 from a viper behind it..I was helping him put it together and we were having trouble getting it on the dowels pins..made sure 3-4 times the clutch was centered but the dowels were half a hole off..he got to internet reading and it said to use offset dowel pins to make it work..then he found in the directions where it said to drill out the bolt and dowel pin holes, install longer dowels in engine, center the trans and weld heavy washers on bellhousing when you have it lined up..I never heard of such but it had instructions telling to do this.
That does not sound promising! The setup you are describing is different than mine, but I hope that is not indicative of QuickTime quality. It sounds like homemade87 had good luck with his QuickTime. The thing I like about this bellhousing is that I can use a stock LS flywheel (the bellhousing takes up the 0.4" crank thickness difference from a Gen 1) and I get the reassurance of the safety coverage. Would be great to hear more feedback on QuickTime bellhousings from users. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I've never used a quicktime myself but when he told me what it said I couldn't believe it..
Old 01-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #8
BaroneDog

Quote:
I've never used a quicktime myself but when he told me what it said I couldn't believe it..
I read through the instructions for installation on this bellhousing and it looked pretty standard in terms of mearsuring runout and adjusting with offset dowels only if needed. Then, at the very end of the instructions, there was a note that sounds a little like what your friend said but looks to be optional:

WELD-ON DOWEL LOCATING KIT
Designed for use on race cars that are frequently dis-assembled, this kit eliminates the need to “dial- in” the bellhousing after each
removal. Ford/Mopar engines with .500” dowel holes use #15980. GM engines with .625”dowel holes use #15981.
NOTE: Welding is required to use this kit
Old 01-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

That sounds pretty close to what he was saying..we measured runout and it was more than any of the offset dowels they had available...it was around .170 off center..after I left his shop was when he found the dowel relocating stuff..pretty crazy to have to do all that when these bells cost that much..but id still want the steel for safety
Old 01-24-2017, 11:11 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

This is a auto flywheel convertor explosion...pretty scary.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7611744

Last edited by mongocanfly; 01-27-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:02 AM   #11
BaroneDog

Quote:
This is a auto flywheel covertor explosion...pretty scarey.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7611744
WOW, that is scary! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
davepl

I used the 6036, I'm pretty sure (that's what my notes said I was going to buy, at least). No complaints from me!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #13
BaroneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I used the 6036, I'm pretty sure (that's what my notes said I was going to buy, at least). No complaints from me!
Thanks! Good to hear. I ordered mine and hope it works well. I will report back once I figure it out so others can use this as a reference as well.