The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
hdff

speaker suggestion/recomendations

hi all, I have my stock radio boxed and ready to ship to gary tayman for the fm conversion so I need to start thinking on speaker options. i'm thinking either the kick panel version or under seat boxes. has anyone compared the 2 and which did ya like better as far as sound quality? I still have an in cab tank and plan on keepin it so behind the seat is not an option. if I do the kick panel i'm going to go with the upgraded pioneer option. so let me know what you think and what kind( brand/model) you went with. I have never heard an under the seat speaker so I have ne idea what to expect from that version. going in a '71 c10..

thanks
keith

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
James the III

Re: speaker suggestion/recomendations

I had the under seat 6x9 boxes..
If you have a choice I'd do the kick panels.. and the under seat boxes..
but if only one, the kick panels.. the underseat the mids and highs fire straight on the seat and get muffled.. unlike the lows that don't care..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
my56chevytruck

I USED to have under the seat speakers, but the sound was never a good quality compared to the kick panel speakers. It always sounded muffled when they were under the seats. If that makes sense.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
n33k0

Like the other guys mentioned, the highs get muffled significantly by the seat. I'd think kick panel speakers would be the best option. I have speakers behind the bench and I have to cut the bass frequency and boost the high frequency to try and balance the sound. Thankfully the previous owner installed an aftermarket radio that gave me that option.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
James the III

Could always do the kicks and a 8-10 shallow sub under the seat..
Old 01-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
There is also a new style speaker that replaces the original speaker. I think it is two speakers in one unit but they are kind of small.

Here is a thread that might help....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=524354

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
randy.powell

So I'm agonizing over the same speaker issues... Not going to remove my gas tank in the cab.
So with most (all) of the kick panel speakers, it's my understanding that there are issues with the emergency brake pedal clearance on the 71-72.

IRT the speakers that Lock Doc refers to, do they have the proper mount/brackets to mount under dash in the stock location?

TIA,
Randy
randy.powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
DarkFlounder

Since the PO already hacked 6x9 holes in my doors, I might as well use them. I'm going with 6x9s in the doors, and dual 3.5s in the center dash. I've also got the tank behind the seat, so if I eventually add on a sub, I'll get a low-profile one under the seat.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy.powell View Post
So I'm agonizing over the same speaker issues... Not going to remove my gas tank in the cab.
So with most (all) of the kick panel speakers, it's my understanding that there are issues with the emergency brake pedal clearance on the 71-72.

IRT the speakers that Lock Doc refers to, do they have the proper mount/brackets to mount under dash in the stock location?

TIA,
Randy

I think there are a couple of different styles and some of them do and some of them don't.... I have never used any of them.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #10
72_swb

I went to car toys and told them what I was doing and they came up with these speakers. I made a bracket/plate to mount them in under dash. I was shocked how good they sound. Part # 46211cfp
Attached Images

72_swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #11
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy.powell View Post

TIA,
Randy
I have the custom auto sound kicks, that I loaded with my speakers..
The e brake pedal does need a tweak , just heat it and bend it 1/2" give or take to the right..
The kicks that are like this allow for deeper basket speakers instead of shallow mount type.. if you go with the shallow 6.5" speaker and that type kicks. plan on no lower end and might want a single sub.. Of course this is an opinion, that depends on what you need for good sound..
Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #12
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
There is also a new style speaker that replaces the original speaker. I think it is two speakers in one unit but they are kind of small.

Here is a thread that might help....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=524354

LockDoc
Dual 3.5" or 4" speakers.. with no cabinet are really limited to mid-highs and highs.. any mid bass or lower will cause popping of the cone and kill them..
Good for filler of sound.. It be nice if there was a stock sized dual voice coil speaker with twin tweeters.
Edit looking at the LMC catalog they do.
it's part # 38-8564 $69.00
The larger cone will give a much fuller range sound than any dual tiny speakers can.. without a ported box/cabinet.. open air type like the dash it just not happen.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:14 PM   #13
kehstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72_swb View Post
I went to car toys and told them what I was doing and they came up with these speakers. I made a bracket/plate to mount them in under dash. I was shocked how good they sound. Part # 46211cfp
do you have pictures of the brackets you have?

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Put one of these in my last truck to replace the factory speaker.Fit perfect and sounded okay for me but I'm no audiophile. As long as the Stones, Eagles, CCR etc. from 60's /70's sound great I'm good.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...nt=31332589710

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #15
72_swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehstr View Post
do you have pictures of the brackets you have?
Here's a pic of the bracket ( excuse the ugly under dash )
Pretty much flat plate cut so the top of it extends out and catches 4 dash pad bolts. Then used a large washer in the original speaker location to secure the front of it.
Attached Images

72_swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #16
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
I had the under seat 6x9 boxes..
If you have a choice I'd do the kick panels.. and the under seat boxes..
but if only one, the kick panels.. the underseat the mids and highs fire straight on the seat and get muffled.. unlike the lows that don't care..
I have both as you mention above, sounds ok, but nothing spectacular, I even have an amp powering the 6x9's. If I could relocate the gas tank, it would be replaced with subs.

On my 64ss I made a bracket and mount to put infinity's in the stock hole in the dash, They sound great. Maybe what I'm missing is that in the truck.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #17
darrellyates

Think I'm going to use Retrosound in-dash unit... It has 5 RCA outs (Front and Rear Left and Right + sub)... I've moved the tank, and am building a custom box that replaces the tank and wraps around the rear corners. I am running 2 12 inch Kicker shallow mount subs, Polk 6 1/2 two ways in kick panels, Polk 5 1/2 in the corners of the box behind the seats, and two amps. Additionally, am putting the Retrosound shallow mount 2 channel speaker in the factory dash opening, and running it off of high level front outputs from the radio... The Kicker sub amp is 600 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms, and Kicker 4 channel 100 watt per channel @ 4 ohm for the other speakers.

Is this overkill for a 60 year old guy who like classic rock music???
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #18
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I don't think so..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #19
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
Think I'm going to use Retrosound in-dash unit... It has 5 RCA outs (Front and Rear Left and Right + sub)... I've moved the tank, and am building a custom box that replaces the tank and wraps around the rear corners. I am running 2 12 inch Kicker shallow mount subs, Polk 6 1/2 two ways in kick panels, Polk 5 1/2 in the corners of the box behind the seats, and two amps. Additionally, am putting the Retrosound shallow mount 2 channel speaker in the factory dash opening, and running it off of high level front outputs from the radio... The Kicker sub amp is 600 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms, and Kicker 4 channel 100 watt per channel @ 4 ohm for the other speakers.

I put in a retrosound. I found I needed the amp too. Not for loudness, but for sound quality. The amp did make a difference. I got the quad2.. or whatever they call it, amp. I mounted it behind the glove box, it has a small footprint. I use two120 amp speakers under the seat. They are small box type that mount on brackets. I point them toward my feet not the bottom of the seat. Setup sounds great, great for me anyway, I'm not after top sound, just something that sounds decent that I can hear. This setup is working good for me. If I crank it up you will feel pain, for real, pain. I mostly use the USB loaded with classic rock and all the Zeppelin Albums. You just have to spend a few minutes to dial in the bass mid treble, and such until you get it sounding good. Here's a couple pics, nothing fancy. Plus the speakers are about 30 Years old, and they still kick fine.

Name:  20150905_120414.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  20150903_201206.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 01-26-2017, 10:39 PM   #20
darrellyates

Here's a couple pics, nothing fancy. Plus the speakers are about 30 Years old, and they still kick fine.

Attachment 1615330

Attachment 1615331[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pix... Good to know you're having good luck with the Retrosound unit. I need to figure out a build thread and post pictures when I get this going better. I will post somewhere...

Thanks again!!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:41 AM   #21
James the III

Quote:
Nope..
Old 01-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #22
67 chevelle

Quote:

Foghat rocks

Whats "overkill" My setup is similar only one 10 behind passenger seat , it rocks . A sound system is like HP more is better , you can always turn it to 5 , but a crap system is going to sound like crap even at 10

My 67 has a 600 watt amp pushing 1 jl 10 behind the passenger bucket , and 2 boston acoustics 6x9s in a center console I made , the head unit pushes 2 6 inch coaxils in the kickpannels , and 2 4 inch coaxils where the stock speakers were , I also run 2 1 inch tweets off of the front channel they take almost no power to run .
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive

Last edited by 67 chevelle; 01-27-2017 at 09:48 AM.
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #23
sprint_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
Whats "overkill" My setup is similar only one 10 behind passenger seat , it rocks . A sound system is like HP more is better , you can always turn it to 5 , but a crap system is going to sound like crap even at 10
This is a key point alot of people dont understand, it applies to home audio as well.

I plan on speakers in the kick panels, rear corner behind seat, and the stock location. With at least 1 to 2 subs and amps to match. Ive got a long time to figure out the specifics on mine though.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote