The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
klwebb

More power out of a 350?

I'm new to the whole adding horsepower thing. My 77 Silverado has a 350 in it. With the t350 tranny. It has true dual exhaust with I think flowmaster 40s. I want to put cherrybombs on though. Guys I bought it from (for $800) didn't know a whole lot about and it's past but they said it had been rebuilt a couple years ago. It runs really well, never let me down. But you can't have too much power, right? I've read about cams, intake, headers, etc. I'm on a super tight budget. What are some decent ways to get some more power out of these small blocks? What would you do first?
1977 Silverado longbed 350/350
1978 K10 shortbed 350/t400 lifted 6 inches on 33s
"LONGBED LIVES MATTER"
klwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
72bowtiestepper

Re: More power out of a 350?

Before throwing a lot of money into your 350, I would do a basic compresion check to see if the engine is in decent shape. Then a good tune up...new plugs & plug wires if needed. Also. cherry bomb glasspacks are not going to give you more power than the flowmasters you already have....just more noise. If you don't have headers....start there before going the big carb & cam route.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

Search this forum for threads on timing and carb tuning. Those are the quickest and cheapest way to get a few extra horses and probably a bit better mileage as well. The stock timing and tuning was designed more to pass emissions standards then to maximize performance or economy.

If your compression check shows the basic block is good, might consider some vortec heads when your budget allows. If you go vortec heads, you will need a new intake as well but the exhaust stays the same.

Make sure you check your state's emission and inspection laws before you get too far along.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Search this forum for threads on timing and carb tuning. Those are the quickest and cheapest way to get a few extra horses and probably a bit better mileage as well. The stock timing and tuning was designed more to pass emissions standards then to maximize performance or economy.

If your compression check shows the basic block is good, might consider some vortec heads when your budget allows. If you go vortec heads, you will need a new intake as well but the exhaust stays the same.

Make sure you check your state's emission and inspection laws before you get too far along.
Summit catalog: Vortec short block 220 hp, basic short block 260 hp, and the vortec heads are not a cheap add on.
Tune the engine then maybe some headers. I put on an Edelbrock 600 cfm bought the tuning kit too. You can only adjust the idle mix without it and get there fuel pump for correct pressure to carb. I have an '82 K20 an it has plenty of snort. Jumps right op to 85mph and there is a lot left. Think about your mods, more HP means more fuel. Good luck!!
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

I wouldn't even waste the money on the 350
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:32 PM   #6
franken

Some good suggestions above, but a basic tuneup is pretty much where to start, possibly after the compression check to verify engine health.

Stock plug wires are prone to failure, and not firing a cylinder is a big power robber. Correct spark advance. and ignition are also important.

77 would have a cat OEM and a dual exhaust probably eliminated that. Chances are a change to different mufflers won't make much performance difference.

Go fast parts are in reality secondary to glaring needs bits below...

Unfortunately, old cars are a bit expensive as far as needing initial work goes. They typically need a complete fluid change (engine, trans, diffs, brake, coolant), which costs more than people think. Brakes, front end wear parts are normally worn as well. Wiring is typically trashed, and I normally on a new old vehicle have to put in a new battery box, PS pump, box and hoses.

That's a few thousand to pay someone for the work and maybe half for parts.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:40 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Myself i would just cruise what you have, and slowly build a Vortec 350 or LT1.

In my area LT1 350's are fairly common in the junkyard, and with basic bolt ons are good for nearly 350 hp 400tq. Plus you can swap this cam into a Vortec 350 for comperable results.

I grew up on flat tappet cams, but i would not use one again in a sbc.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
Not very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Yep, gotta start with the simple stuff.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
Tom
driving is in my blood

Your all assuming she needs a tune up. She said it runs great no issues, so lets skip telling her to buy spark plugs. Although for only $800 I get where you guys are coming from.

Long tube headers are a good upgrade for low bucks.
Aftermarket carb won't get you any more power.
Camshaft would be my next step, if you can handle that kind of work. Otherwise, its alot of money to pay someone to install.
Intake manifolds are cheap

In the end, more power cost a lot of money. Being on a budget, you don't have a ton of options. Most upgrades will cost as much as you paid for the truck or more if someone is installing for you.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
daddyjeep

There are a lot of used 350 parts out there since that engine has been around forever.You might be able to find at least a decent used intake and possibly headers. Headers might be a little riskier to buy used though as they could be rusted or cracked. It is worth at least looking around since budget is an issue.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
Nick_R_23

I agree with Tom here. But what is a super tight budget to you, OP? Give us a number to work with.

Heads, cam, intake, and compression are going to be the best ways to get more out of an SBC, but they tend to cost quite a bit. Vortec heads flow well and can be had for cheap, but are limiting on cam sizes in stock form, requiring expensive machine work.

Honestly, if I had a bone stock 350 and wanted more out of it on the cheap, I would tune the distributor for a more aggressive curve and get quality aftermarket module and coil, I would get an aftermarket intake (typically found on CL for <$100), find a decent set of headers (usually $100-$350 depending on new or used), and then set the truck up with an R/V cam and new lifters (about $300). I would leave the stock Quadrajet on there if it is still there, as it will provide good economy driving around, but come to life easily if you get on it.

You'll find it hard to beat that setup for the bang for your buck.
Nick_R_23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
klwebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
I agree with Tom here. But what is a super tight budget to you, OP? Give us a number to work with.

Heads, cam, intake, and compression are going to be the best ways to get more out of an SBC, but they tend to cost quite a bit. Vortec heads flow well and can be had for cheap, but are limiting on cam sizes in stock form, requiring expensive machine work.

Honestly, if I had a bone stock 350 and wanted more out of it on the cheap, I would tune the distributor for a more aggressive curve and get quality aftermarket module and coil, I would get an aftermarket intake (typically found on CL for <$100), find a decent set of headers (usually $100-$350 depending on new or used), and then set the truck up with an R/V cam and new lifters (about $300). I would leave the stock Quadrajet on there if it is still there, as it will provide good economy driving around, but come to life easily if you get on it.

You'll find it hard to beat that setup for the bang for your buck.
Your plan seems to be a good idea that I can work on over time. I will probably start with an intake and headers. And look into tuning the distributor and the module and coil.
"LONGBED LIVES MATTER"
Old 01-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #13
klwebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
Well if I had the funds, tools, and experience to swap it out for something worth wasting money on, I definitely would. I'm a senior in high school working part time at an autobody shop, and also paying $30 a week in gas just to get to work lol.
"LONGBED LIVES MATTER"
Old 05-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #14
northern 85

The 350 is a great engine,it can run great, but still not be tuned for peak performance. Like others have said check comp first,then total timing and carb jetting. You might have some hp just waiting to be unleashed! Then give us your info of intake, carb, dist and exhaust set up.
northern 85 is offline   Reply With Quote