The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #1
Subwayrat1478

Advice and questions about my 69 pick up

hello everyone my name is shawn im new to the sight .i have a 69 chevy pickup
long bed
with original 350 engine and th400 transmition. it also has factory a/c...but no power brakes...and it also came with the wooden bed option...and i have the original texas title from the year 1972-1974 it looks really diffren from the one we have today i never seen such an old title befor...and its colour is maroon/and white....what do you think the truck is worth?
and should i go back with the original colour? im planing on takeing it to a shop or something pretty soon...so take a look at the pictures and give me an idea of what it will cost to get the body and paint done...its going to be my daily driver so i dont want show room paint...that being said...im kinda on a budget of around 2000...is that enough for a nice daily driver paint job...i dont want showroom paint. but i also dont want a half ass sloppy paint job...its got a pretty straight body besides the damage on the left side bed...any advice would be greatly apreciated ...and thanks to who replys to me...

Last edited by Subwayrat1478; 01-27-2017 at 08:40 AM. Reason: pictures
Subwayrat1478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
yuccales

Re: Advice and questions about my 69 pick up

Welcome. This forum has so much great info, no question will go unanswered. Looking forward to some pics. Body & paint guys will be here soon.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

$2,000.00 will barely pay for paint and shop supplies leaving very little for any type of labor . Let alone finding any body shop that will be willing to spend the time on it , Are you able to do any of the prep work ? like removing all the trim ? The going rate around here is $4-6,000.00 for decent paint work from one of the local home shop bodymen If they can fit you in . The body shops of today are just plastic bumper cover replacers and many won't even touch these old trucks for a complete paint job . Choose your shop wisely . And prepare yourself for it to take a considerable amount of time and money ! .

Good work isn't fast and fast work isn't good ...

P.S.Any shop that has a 1/2 dozen unfinished projects covered in dust is NOT the place to take your truck ...

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 01-27-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
72_swb

Yeah I've got 2k in DuPont paint supply's for my truck. That's cool on the original title.

Go on google and and YouTube. Learn to paint.

Plus no pics?????
72_swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
darrellyates

The pigment only on my truck is $561 a gallon. Now, depending on how much you plan to paint... If you add in activator, reducer, and clear coat you are getting close to $1000 a gallon for just the paint. I've put nearly a gallon on already, and haven't gotten to the outside (frame, under the cab, bed supports, inside the fenders... You get the idea.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
onebigjohn

Welcome!
You'll find everything you need here.....
I learned pretty quick don't post anything without Pics!
Good luck with the paint!
Old 01-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
Overdriven

$2000 could get you a Maaco style respray but spraying the paint is all they're going to do. They're not going to repair any rust, not going to use any body filler to fill dents or anything, no trim removal, just mask off the trim and windows and spray. Depending on the paint type you choose (single stage, 2 stage, urethane, etc) a Maaco style shop that just sprays paint with no bodywork is going to be $1000 and up for paint. Whatever is left of your budget could be used for bodywork, rust repair, panel replacement but you're going to have to do that work yourself as shop labor adds up fast.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
robs71

Sometimes its best to leave alone for now..Don"t waste your money on a cheap paint job..you will not be happy with it.These trucks can be a diamond in the rough...Ask around town ((maybe you already know)) some shops that do quality work.Explain your case and money situation to them and maybe they will work with you to do some repairs to your truck like if it needs rockers,cab corners etc...things you might not want to take on.You can replace doors, fenders,inner fenders yourself to save money if your truck needs them.Have the body shop trim the pieces out before putting them on.Your saving money plus doing it right...plus you can still use it. Then keep saving up and get a decent paint job. If you are on a budget it is better to do a little at a time and do it right then to run out and get a quick job.........I speak from experience..good luck
robs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
P.S.Any shop that has a 1/2 dozen unfinished projects covered in dust is NOT the place to take your truck ...
Amen to that. We call that "paint jail", the place you send your car for a looong time. And it doesn't always come back.

I bet you could get a Maaco or Earl Scheib (Whatever) paint job for $2K. If you took the time to remove and reinstall trim yourself, and picked an "easy" color like silver, I bet you'd come out OK. It won't win any shows but it'll look great from 5 feet away and that's 95% of what matters.

Better a half-assed paint job this year than a deluxe one never.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
69 c10 - dsm

I just had my 1969 painted and I spent 6500.00 on it. That did include some extra stuff though too like: putting in the one piece windows (which were a pain in the a$$), hood/fender alignment, putting on the front grill, installing both front/rear glass, painting/installing front inner fenders. The guy had a shop at his house and was very anal about things too, so I am very happy with the quality of work that he did. I think the truck looks great and have received a lot of compliments on it already and I haven't had it out of the garage on the road yet. We all have a budget, it is your truck make it what you want and can afford. Good luck!
Attached Images

69 c10 - dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #11
my56chevytruck

Well, why not drive what you have and slowly do some of the work yourself, as others have said. Your budget could cover the cost of materials and tools to do the work yourself and again as been said, do anything yourself will save you money. Haven't seen your pics yet, so WELCOME and send some pictures. Good luck to you.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote