The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
moregrip

Cost to build Squarebody discussion using original parts

I'm just curious what everyones opinion is on this one.........the rising cost of NOS parts and used parts. 5 years ago I remember shopping NOS parts on ebay thinking "man these prices are high"............but those prices don't hold a candle to what I'm seeing on ebay nowadays.

Alot of the guys I know or have known over the years started modding square bodies in the first place because the cost of modding 67-72 trucks was getting so high.

In my mind, yes absolutely, high quality NOS parts deserve a premium, even solid used parts but at what cost? I keep hearing about "guys in the middle east", what's that all about? what are your thoughts this? What has driven NOS and used parts to such high premiums?

Even searching my local Craigslist I'm seeing Squarbody parts prices exceeding 67-72 parts prices; has there been a shift in popularity?

Is it possible Squarebody parts are now overvalued?

I'm interested in hearing thoughts on both sides on this, I've been out of the mix for a few years and would like to understand what happened.
Maybe in the lifetime of modding trucks this is normal but I suspect the internet and it's worldwide reach has broadened the market and subsequently changed what I would consider more moderate pricing.

Hope to hear from you!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Cost to build Squarebody discussion using original parts

Econ 101 - Supply and Demand.
Supply - The GM bankruptcy closed down a lot of the older been around a long time dealers that still had supplies of old parts back in the warehouse. GM isn't making many parts for 40 year old trucks. Import parts have problems with QC consistency. One batch may be excellent quality, the next batch of the same part number will suck. The millions of trucks that once kept the salvage yards well supplied are mostly gone.

Demand - With factory fresh new trucks often running $50k or more, the demand for nice older trucks is rising. More folks are wanting to buy older trucks and fix them up so they look like newer ones. More folks fixing up older trucks increases demand for parts. Plus you have mid-life folks wanting to recreate Dad's truck they remember as a kid and they now have money to spend as the kids are gone.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Well said Dparrot..I've also noticed over the years as a new generation of guys start building trucks it seems like it advances the popularity of trucks to the next body style..I can remember when everone wanted a AD of TF truck..then its was the 60s body style, then the 67-72 trucks which stayed in high demand for a long time..now the square bodys are in more demand than the older ones..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
TKCR

Most of it, is because OEM and NOS parts are rare and hard to find.

As far as the Middles east: those guys have money out the ying-yang to spend. And since they have the money to spend, they are buying up all the part and trucks, and shipping them overseas.

A lot of my parts, from when I did my color interior change, and this was before I found this forum. I sold a lot of my parts on Ebay, for cheap, now that I see what stuff is going for. Most of it, I had for auction and Buy It Now. It was all bought quickly, using the Buy It Now. The accounts were set up here in New York and then shipped overseas to the Middle East. I clued in real fast on who was actually buying everything up.

Example, my original seatbelts (maroon/burgandy), were in A+ shape. No fading whatsoever. I was pretty excited when they were bought, the same day I listed them for $80. They were shipped to the Middle East. Now I'm seeing seatbelts, in way worse shape than mine were, going for 2-3 times that. Knowing what I know now, I probably could have gotten $200-$250 easy. So it's my belief, that other people are seeing this too. Everyone is thinking, damn if they are willing to shell out the $$$, then why not make some money. In the mean time, us poor folks here in the US are forced to pay those high prices too.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
lilpoindexter

I'm 45. I remember Squares all over the place when i was a kid. Everybody had one...my pops had a '79 C20. I remember seeing a '73 or '74 with a "292" emblem in the grille in a parking lot at a supermarket sometime in the 70s. i had no idea what a 292 was, but i imagined the guy that drove that truck was the baddest dude in town. I bought a '78 C10 shortbed step side in 2009 because i thought it was cool. it reminds me of generally happy times when all i worried about was getting seconds at the dinner table. Time is marching forward...the time is now for those of us for whom squares hold memories.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
NJRC10

I agree. My first truck was an 81 shortbed 4x4. I did ride in my fathers older trucks growing up but my love is the 81-87 squares ( i have two 87's ). I think we are becoming the old guys!! We know nos parts are very difficult to find and also expensive now.

We just did a complete restoration on a 87 shortbed 4x4 that I have known about since it was new and always wanted. I got it but there wasn't a straight body panel on it. I bought a new tailgate and a drivers door ( after market did not have the same curve at the bottom, not even close ) and was highly disappointed with both. The tailgate worked out but we reused the old door with a lot of extra work. My point being it would have been worth the extra for nos as the aftermarket parts I received were not good if I could have found them.

Same with the dashes and door panels What we can get now is much better than the past but still needs work to be close to work correct. if your look at my original paint/ interior truck next to the one we just completed all i can say is we are very lucky to have parts to order, I just hope they improve with our squares getting more popular!!!

I try and visit as many recycle/junk yards as I can so i can pick up the parts i can refurbish but the old trucks are either non existent or if they get one it gets picked clean quick.
NJRC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:42 AM   #7
3drburb

The prices of these trucks and parts is a good thing.

I used to sell cars, parts and trucks on eBay years ago.
Everything was pulled or picked up in my Squarebodys but Squarebody parts were always hard to sell at that time so I would give them away.
I will never buy NOS parts and only buy reproduction parts like chrome, trim and interior.
The guys in the Middle East love these trucks too, especially 4x4s and they want original stuff when they restore their trucks so guess what, there is a lot of high prices out there for these parts where sellers are only looking to sell to them as they are loaded.
Also not all those NOS parts are real NOS parts so buyer beware.
Back to the prices topic. It's good to know that your hard earned money and labor can maybe pay off if needed.

You can ride the wave if you can it will level out and I guess custom classic wagons and classic 4 doors will be next.

Btw one of the best part of the hobby is the hunt. Lol
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:30 AM   #8
andrewmp6

We do have a member on here that goes out and finds nos and really clean used parts.His name is 1774btcrew and his site http://azpartslocators.com/
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:51 AM   #9
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

I have a NOS hood new in the box (73-80, with a ridge on the front edge). I had it for sale on here (no shipping), $300.00, as stated, I still have it, decided to keep it. I would trade mine though for a near perfect hood for my 50 Chevy pickup.

Anyway, parts are out there, the challenge is finding them before the pickers do.

NOTE! I understand the hoods are slightly different (front edge)from 73-80, if you're building an all original show truck, otherwise, they all bolt up just fine.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #10
moregrip

Well I thank you for your input and appreciate you taking the time to respond! I would have never thought these square bodies would be so popular, but I guess it's pretty damn cool they are!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote