The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
bonehead

A ban on mods

I have been looking for a clean 73-80 square body short bed to restore back to original condition. I have seen a few nice solid trucks in my area for sale but they seem to all be lowered, with cowl hoods added. Why is everyone buying up the nice builder trucks, modifying them with dropped suspensions and adding a cowl hood, and then putting them up for sale. Why don't they keep them, if thats what they like? How about leaving some original builder trucks for guys like me, the stock nazis.

In light of this development, I...bonehead am calling for a complete and total ban on hacking squarebody short beds until we can figure out what the he$$ is going on!

If anyone has a clean 73-80 short bed runner for sale in my area, let me know. LOL

Have a great day guys.
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Re: A ban on mods

Very easy to swap hoods and add stock suspension parts!

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Easy fix...find a good one to begin with a fix it up the way you like it just as the previous owner did. LOL!!

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jewel View Post
Easy fix...find a good one to begin with a fix it up the way you like it just as the previous owner did. LOL!!
That is my current plan if no stockers show up for sale. I am probably going to pay extra for the extras I will be removing though.

I will have to resell the leftovers... suspension mods, big wheels, and that hood. But, it won't be a problem if my ban works! LOL
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 01-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

In my area there a lot of young guys buying the 73-87s for daily drivers. They want to personalize it to their tastes so they lower it, add aftermarket wheels, and sometimes a cowl hood.
Its just a matter of personal tastes on wheel on hood, but lowering the truck makes it ride and handle better.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
flashed

I will have a 74 shortbed stepside for sale this spring ,not modded at all and 60,000 original miles on it .It was my daily driver for a couple of years .6 cylinder ,3 speed on the column with very little rust .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

well im glad to see this wasn't a ban on moderators here... its too early to get aggravated and if you buy a modded truck to bring back to original, don't forget to become a subscribing member before you try to sell anything here

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
TKCR

I'm with you on some of these MODS. My truck, when I purchased it, was lowered a bit. But it wasn't bagged, that is one mod I do not like. It is at a nice height for me, so I will leave that alone. My (younger) brother is always bugging me about bagging it. Sometimes I want to but a bag in his mouth, lol, to get him to shut up about it.

It too, had a cowl induction hood. I have since acquired a NOS OEM hood. It's on there, but still need to get it to the paint shop. Again, younger brother thought I was stupid for selling the cowl induction hood.

It also has, like 20's 0r 22's on these wagon looking wheels. That's something else that's got to go. Here again, I don't need to repeat myself both the brother, LOL.

But over time, along with extra money, it its slowly getting back to being stock looking.

A lot of these trucks DO look nice being modded somewhat. But it is all the TASTE of the current owner on what they want. But I personally like STOCK a whole lot better!!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
Tom
driving is in my blood

Lowering with a hood is a far cry from hacking. Takes less then a day to un-drop a truck and change a hood. Some points to consider:
-Perhaps some people care more about the drive then remaining stock. Properly lowered trucks handle immensly better.
-oem hoods like to bend in the middle. Why not get a cowl hood to replace if your already spending the money?

Yes, there are people who crave stock out there like you. Just not many, especially on trucks as new as these. I'm betting those lowered trucks with hoods sell for more and quicker then the stockers you crave.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
bonehead

I hope you all will keep your comments to my original post on the light side. My comments were written to be 99% tongue in cheek.

My last truck was a modded and hot rodded 66 custom cab lowered 5", disc brakes and all the other stuff. I like them all, just looking for a stock build this time.

Time for a break
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 01-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #11
3drburb

BREAKING NEWS!!!
I will be breaking that ban. I will be CUTTING my SWB for the step notch this week.
There are plenty of trucks out there. I have owned a lot of them and even given away some and it took awhile to find this one, and it was only a couple hundred dollars.
Keep hunting for what you want, the HUNT is most fun.
Good luck with your search.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drburb View Post
BREAKING NEWS!!!
I will be breaking that ban. I will be CUTTING my SWB for the step notch this week..
Oh my! call out the national guard!!!LOL

good luck with your project
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 01-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #13
3drburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
Oh my! call out the national guard!!!LOL

good luck with your project
Thanks
I saved this being sold to the scrap yard.
I guess this is a rescue truck. Lol
I have changed the door and hood. The only rust repair needed is a small spot on the firewall the engine was in pieces and all the black paint was just for surface rust.

You need a trip to the Best Coast for your truck needs.
Attached Images

3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drburb View Post
You need a trip to the Best Coast for your truck needs.
The east coast is terrible for truck parts?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote