The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
darrellyates

Gauge Cluster Question

I see many gauge sets with the woodgrain decal on them. However, most of the plastic surrounds I see have textured black between the gauges. In fact, the only surrounds I've seen for sale all have the textured black. I've got a set of Dakota Digital gauges, with their new chrome dash insert, and it too has the textured black. So, here's my silly question... Do you just cover the textured plastic with the decal, or is there a different gauge cluster available? Seems the texture either won't look right, or will certainly give less bonding surface.

Same vein, different question. What adhesive do you use on the paper decals for the windshield washer bottle?

Thanks in advance for the guidance!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
engineer_gregh

Re: Gauge Cluster Question

Darrell the woodgrain clusters were on Cheyenne Super and Sierra Grande trucks. Of course its a popular option to add the wood grain to trucks that didn't originally come that way. The wood grain can be bought off Ebay, search for 3m di-noc. The vinyl should be thick enough that the texture won't show through.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_gregh View Post
Darrell the woodgrain clusters were on Cheyenne Super and Sierra Grande trucks. Of course its a popular option to add the wood grain to trucks that didn't originally come that way. The wood grain can be bought off Ebay, search for 3m di-noc. The vinyl should be thick enough that the texture won't show through.
Thanks! Yes, I want to add it to my truck. I'm not doing an actual correct restoration, and simply like the look of the wood grain. I was just afraid the texture would show thru and look terrible. I appreciate the answer!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
engineer_gregh

If you're on Facebook there is a C/10 club for Tennessee. One of the guys just did a cluster on a square body and posted pictures. Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Greg Smyrna TN
Old 01-31-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_gregh View Post
If you're on Facebook there is a C/10 club for Tennessee. One of the guys just did a cluster on a square body and posted pictures. Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Greg: I would actually like to find a C10 club around... But I turned Facebook off so I didn't have to listen to the political rhetoric this year. I am not sure I'm going back either. You're close enough I should buy you lunch someday for helping me out. Hope to meet you someday!

Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
engineer_gregh

Anytime. Lots of C-10 guys in the Nashville area. I try and post most of the bigger gatherings on here. I'm sure we will see each other at one of the shows or gatherings.

Greg Smyrna TN
Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 PM   #7
NoStopN

Darrell, just throwing this out there, you could just unfollow some of your frie....um...acquaintances if they just become political. You can keep them on your friends list but not see anything they post. It's an option if you are interested in joining one of the clubs on Facebook.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #8
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
Darrell, just throwing this out there, you could just unfollow some of your frie....um...acquaintances if they just become political. You can keep them on your friends list but not see anything they post. It's an option if you are interested in joining one of the clubs on Facebook.
Good idea. Thanks. I actually read a study done in Sweden that used a happiness index and compared those who frequent social media, versus those that abstain. The results were very interesting. The happiness index for those who abstained was vastly higher. So, in the interest of science, I deleted my Facebook account. And I can say that yes, I am happier because of it. I now have new friends who share the same interests, and don't have to unfriend my relatives because I don't want to buy stuff I don't want from them.... As a extra bonus, I didn't listen to any political stuff last year, and don't have to see any pictures of happy kittens... I may still look for a local club, but am more interested in one that meets and goes places, does things. It's why I like cruise in's and meets.... Liked the AACA group in Wilson County, but have since moved to Sumner. Will find something. Thanks again, and hope to meet you soon as well!