The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2003, 02:56 AM   #1
68c10owner

van tilt colum install questions

just bought a tilt out of a early 70`s van. what do i need to do to install in my `68? i read somewhere about having to shorten it . is there a easy way to do this?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:36 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Here is a link for you. Click on magazine tech article for van steering installation.

Jim

http://www.geocities.com/sshevnock/home.html
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

I did not have to shorten mine but I did have to relocate the neutra safety switch. I bought a collaspable intermediate shaft
as well.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:39 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

On a 67 or 68, you'll need the intermidiate shaft off of a 69 - 72 truck. The van column its self does not get shortened, it is the intermideate shaft, which is colapsable, that gets shortened.
This piece has plastic/vinyl roll pins in it which will give upon impact. With that in mind, there is NO REASON to waste time with a drill as some people will tell you, just hold the Int. shaft in your hand, (removed fron truck) and drop it down onto a piece of wood on the drive way or side walk. (the wood will protect the splines from damage) Tehn, some will tell you to drill and re-install plastic pins, again, there is absolutly no reason for this. Once you have it in place, it is not going to expand, nor colapse, so you will be wasting your time.
Once you have the pins broke, and the shaft shortened, then install the column where you want it, and then bolt up the column to the shaft.
The safety switch is an issue, and I'm sure some one who actually did it will post his solution here, I just bypassed it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote