The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
TexasLS1

Craigslist scam, look familiar??

I found this "deal" on Craigslist for a '70 SWB tonight, and it instantly looked familiar - http://brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/5968283102.html

Here's the sweet build thread that some of ya'll might remember, wonder whatever happened with the build? I'll have to bump this one...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=Toyota+supra
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:30 AM   #2
stexag

Re: Craigslist scam, look familiar??

Stop looking for deals down here in the Valley , we're too close to the coast and have to travel your way to find the good stuff.

That ad has been up and down in Harlingen several times over the last few weeks.
stexag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #3
TexasLS1

Haha, I usually don't look for things that far away from me, but I was trying to find a gauge cluster w/tach that I thought I had seen for a decent price in Houston yesterday. Couldn't find it, but ran across those pics. Can't stand scammers or people who aren't being honest in their ads, but I thought the member would at least get a kick out seeing her truck in it. I don't think she's been on the forum in a while though
Old 02-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the scam? Are they hoping you'll send the money sight-unseen? I would imagine that if you made arrangements to look at the truck, it would be obvious that whatever they had wasn't the truck in the pictures.
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
hewittca

Wow, good catch. They even blatantly copied the real owner's original photos. How convenient that she still had the For Sale sign in the window in those first photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the scam? Are they hoping you'll send the money sight-unseen? I would imagine that if you made arrangements to look at the truck, it would be obvious that whatever they had wasn't the truck in the pictures.
I am also unclear as to what the actual scam is. Maybe they are hoping for an out of state buyer who's going to have it shipped.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
projectking

Most scams are for your contact info so they can sell it.
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
LT7A

I think that the scam is that truck our buddy Juan G. is advertising does not exist in that form anymore. It's been highly modified from when those pictures were taken. He is advertising as if those are pictures of his truck. Per the build thread, it has been changed drastically. If he had the modified truck, that's what his pictures would be of. Why is he using obsolete pics? What is he really selling?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

That's not a scam, that's a misprint. Just left a zero out and it was meant to say $52,000 pesos

After reading post below I'll add I was going to ask if those pictures even look like they are from that area.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-01-2017 at 11:08 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
stexag

I'll tell you, it's about the crapiest scam ever because ol' Juan won't answer the phone.

I saw the ad when it was originally posted and because I'd been out of the C10 game and off the board a little while - I didn't recognize the truck. I called Juan and left vm's in espanol and ingles; but Juan didn't pick up. I looked at the ad closer and realized there were no mesquite trees in the pics and even though it looked like it could be Texas, it didn't particularly look like something in Harlingen. We're warm here and haven't had a hard frost as of yet - but it's just not THAT green right now and I realized I'd been suckered.

Later I had a friend call and ask me to try to buy the truck bc he couldn't talk spanish but I told him to save his breath.... I presume someone is trolling for far away area codes and down payments.
stexag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
TexasLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stexag View Post
I'll tell you, it's about the crapiest scam ever because ol' Juan won't answer the phone.

Yeah, really makes me wonder why they spend the time to deceive people, then don't respond. Maybe they're just fishing to see what kind of response they'll get from people, or maybe they're so inundated with responses that they can't respond to everyone, so they just choose the ones who seem far enough away and seem more likely to be able to be suckered out of info/money?
Old 02-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
Coley

Ha....i should give him a call, with my distant Canadian area code...that might get his attention.
Ah, but what to say to lowlife when they finally pick up....lol.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
onebigjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Ha....i should give him a call, with my distant Canadian area code...that might get his attention.
Ah, but what to say to lowlife when they finally pick up....lol.

Coley
A lot of fun may be had:
Act like your 15, Can you bring it by my house so my Dad can see it?
I have a cash deposit!
Too much fun!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:13 PM   #13
3drburb

This scammer can sell this truck a hundred times over.
At that price there will be buyers in this country and overseas thinking that they will be getting a steal of a deal and would put down big deposts or pay outright.
This used to happen on eBay every now then. Its worse when they have the vin # or the spid plus additional pictures to send.
These people are the worst.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drburb View Post
This scammer can sell this truck a hundred times over.
At that price there will be buyers in this country and overseas thinking that they will be getting a steal of a deal and would put down big deposts or pay outright.
This used to happen on eBay every now then. Its worse when they have the vin # or the spid plus additional pictures to send.
These people are the worst.
This makes me curious about how they choose the truck they are going to try and scam with. You could find a nearly endless supply of photos and basic information (including VIN and SPIDs) on many trucks just by visiting the build threads on this forum.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Yep, and over the years on this very forum I've read quite a few posts where truck owners have found their own trucks for sale on craigslist, ebay, etc. There was one guy a few years back that found his truck for sale in multiple cities across the US on Craigslist.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #16
In The Ten Ring

I have seen several ads featuring the same truck. I emailed one, asking the author just why I had seen the same truck for sale a few months before in another state.

He didn't reply.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #17
whoa

Since I'm hitting Craigslist daily in the Texas area this thread really caught my attention. Is it the pic that some of you recognize, or a combination of too nice a truck for the price? I've was first surprised at how bad some people are at responding to calls, then after watching these ads for a while now realize some of these trucks stay up for several weeks.

I've not worried about anyone getting my phone number or email address, as they've been around a while and easy to come by. Usually by the time I see these threads it's too late to see the ad, I'm still kinda in the dark as to what the queues are.

And now I wonder how many reverse image search facilities are out there. That would be worth the effort when you've found something you want to learn more about. One truck on Craigslist included pictures from the previous car sales website where the current owner made his purchase. When I found that I was sure it was a scam, but it's probably the guy was posting nice pics of his truck the easy way.

Another in my area shows up four or five times on CL, and at different prices while the description is similar. I assume it's the same guy on a legit sale, but it sure looks strange.
whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #18
TexasLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoa View Post
Since I'm hitting Craigslist daily in the Texas area this thread really caught my attention. Is it the pic that some of you recognize, or a combination of too nice a truck for the asking price?

Both the truck and the asking price were odd on this one - The price was strangely low for such a nice truck, but mainly the truck itself was a dead-giveaway since the guy had used the member's original pics in his CL scam.

Here's the ad for you to see since it was flagged and removed, I posted it to the member's thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...4&postcount=62
and http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...7&postcount=63
Build thread- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=Toyota+supra
Old 02-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

GMC Junky's 4wd Suburban was for sale a couple/few times and she didn't know anything about it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-02-2017, 12:03 AM   #20
dmjlambert

How does the scam work? How does the creator of the ad benefit or get away with it?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:22 AM   #21
PDXk5

I have run into this type of scam locally. I call and text and never get a response. Now, if I contact them three times and they have the craigslist ad up more than 7 days (meaning they had to renew the post), I flag it as a scam. They are screening the calls and if the call, text or voice message is tied to a local number they won't pick up. If it's not local, they will and they will share that someone is coming to buy it but if you forward a deposit they will hold it for you.
There is someone here in our metro area (or at least using a local area code number) that keeps posting great 67-72 Chevy truck parts for sale - great prices. Same number, different parts, never responds. I'm making it hard for him. I look regularly and if I recognize his number, I flag it as a scam. I would feel bad for some out of towner getting take by this ass.
PDXk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:02 AM   #22
3drburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
How does the scam work? How does the creator of the ad benefit or get away with it?
Most likely if you call with an out of area, state or country number they may answer or call you back.
Then you get the BS like my husband died and other crap and they don't know what it's worth or need money for bills quickly.

Guess what, this transaction happens on auction and even these sites where you take someone's word for good but on CL you snooze you loose.
So some people wire money or a deposit.

I use to buy a lot of parts and trucks and sold a lot on Ebay. You come across every scam on the book.

Btw that scammer may not know much Spanish at all.
If the person answering the phone speaks another language saying the seller is shy or cannot speak your language just hang up.

These are all throw way phones that they are using.

Watch out this is scam time. Big auto auctions and tax time.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Could be posted from Guana.

Tim