The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Anyone offer a description for how to remove the throttle assembly through firewall?

71 C-10 AT.

I need to remove the entire pedal & throttle assembly. I've got the kick down switch off, which is easy enough. Detaching it at the carb is simple as well.

Where I'm stumped is the process for removing the cable through the fire wall. There's a nut of some sort (not familiar) attaching the cable to the top portion of the pedal "rod". Not sure how to remove it nor if I should.

Thanks for any input.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Anyone offer a description for how to remove the throttle assembly through firewa

Picture one "cable nut" push cable toward driver a bit and there is a black plastic bushing, push it towards driver to release from pedal, the bushing has a slit for the cable to slide off. Follow that cable to the firewall from the passenger compartment and the cable sheath has 2 tabs to compress to release the cable from the firewall.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Anyone offer a description for how to remove the throttle assembly through firewa

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Picture one "cable nut" push cable toward driver a bit and there is a black plastic bushing, push it towards driver to release from pedal, the bushing has a slit for the cable to slide off. Follow that cable to the firewall from the passenger compartment and the cable sheath has 2 tabs to compress to release the cable from the firewall.
Thank you VERY MUCH. Have to say I was stumped by your description of a black plastic bushing on the pedal. Mine is white (ha!). It's called an Accelerator Throttle Cable Lock Ring Retainer. Had I worn my glasses in the first place, I may have seen how easy it is to remove. Pair of small pliers and done.

So then it was time to "tackle" the "cable sheath" as you call it, which is at the firewall (pictured). I couldn't see nor feel those tabs, even with the center firewall pad partially removed. So I removed the pad to see what's up, which meant having to remove things I wasn't "prepared for". This is a complete tear down project anyhow, so I dug in.

Contrary to what I've read the tabs are not on the top and bottom of this piece, they're on the sides. There probably isn't a wrong way, but possibly easier to remove as I found it. I still couldn't make out the tabs, but this tool found them easy peazy. Just squeeze a little bit and you're done.

I learned a lot today, including how plugs get stuck in the fuse box (for kick down and radio combination plug). That and how to remove a wire from a plug. About time too. For what it's worth I've attached a picture of the "sheath" at the firewall. Nice to learn new stuff, which is everyday I work on this truck.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 02-02-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
It depends on if someone has had the cable assembly out before. I think the firewall retainer will go in either way so it is possible to find it horizontal or vertical.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:35 AM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
It depends on if someone has had the cable assembly out before. I think the firewall retainer will go in either way so it is possible to find it horizontal or vertical.

LockDoc
Doubt this throttle was ever removed, but agreed, it works either way. I read where a lot of guys have used anything from vise grips to a large screw driver to break it............HA. Pops out easy when you see what's what.

Next up is the E-brake. Gee, can't wait.