The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
seattle gmc

correct rochester quadrajet carb number?

Im trying to find out the what the correct carb number would have been for my 1970 GMC k2500 with manaul trans? I replaced my the carb with a rebuilt one a few years back and i would like to start searching for the correct one that my truck would have came with originaly. I returned the original carb for the core charge, but i wish i would have just ate that fee. The rebuilt one works fine, but I would like to keep an eye out for one that has the correct number.

So far my limited search has come up with 7040208, but my understanding is, that last number idicates the trans and an even number refers to an auto trans and I have a manual as stated above. I feel like i remember that number when I went and bought a rebuild kit many many years ago, but with a fuzzy brain like mine who knows?? I guess it might also be possible that the carb i returned, did have that number but wasnt the original carb that came on the truck.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: correct rochester quadrajet carb number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle gmc View Post
Im trying to find out the what the correct carb number would have been for my 1970 GMC k2500 with manaul trans? I replaced my the carb with a rebuilt one a few years back and i would like to start searching for the correct one that my truck would have came with originaly. I returned the original carb for the core charge, but i wish i would have just ate that fee. The rebuilt one works fine, but I would like to keep an eye out for one that has the correct number.

So far my limited search has come up with 7040208, but my understanding is, that last number idicates the trans and an even number refers to an auto trans and I have a manual as stated above. I feel like i remember that number when I went and bought a rebuild kit many many years ago, but with a fuzzy brain like mine who knows?? I guess it might also be possible that the carb i returned, did have that number but wasnt the original carb that came on the truck.

I think the application charts and numbers are listed in the service manual for the year of your truck. All of mine are out in the shop and I am under the weather at the moment. The manuals are available for download somewhere on here. I will see if I can find them.

Edit: They are in this thread.....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=558016

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
seattle gmc

Thanks for the reply LockDoc. I have a hard copy of the 1970 severice manaul, so after your advice i did a little page turnin. Here is what i found.

Page 12 of the specifications section carburetor.

In 1970 for 350ci 20-30 series would share a quadrajet with # 7040208 regardless of trans.

Interestingly 10 series trucks with both manaul or auto trans share the same # 7040511

Unless im reading the book incorrectly.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

The paper work I have lists.
7040206 1970 Chevy truck 396 federal
7040208 1970 Chevy truck 350 federal
7040509 1970 Chevy truck 396 Calif
7040511 1970 Chevy truck 350 Calif
Hope this helps.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle gmc View Post

Trading in an original un-messed with original carb is a bad thing, as you have found out
I still have the original carb off my 396 from my 68. Might not ever use it again, but would be tough to find another.
www.cliffshighperformance.com Cliff may be able to verify the correct number, he may also have one. Send him an email. He does not take calls during day, he's too busy. One of his employees will answer phone if you call.
If you can afford it, have him build you a carb. It'll be the best carb you've ever had!!! He will build a carb specifically to your engine's spec's.

I used to sell auto parts from 1985-1998. I'd buy some of the carb trade in cores, if they were something I wanted, still have them
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
seattle gmc

Thank you to everyone for the replies. My remaned carb is ok, but I have that nagging feeling that I should have kept the original one. I wasn't broke or anything at the time, but I remember the core charge being pretty high.

This carb is on ebay right now. Opinions appreciated, is it too expensive, do you see lots of missing stuff, other than being dirty can you spot anything wrong with it? The people on this forum are amazing at spotting stuff in pictures that I would never have noticed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rochester-Fo...RYbooH&vxp=mtr