The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
MacQuigley

Windshield Refitting

If all goes well tomorrow with the application of the last clear coat I aim to fit the cab back on my frame next weekend. Before I do tat I want to refit the windshield.

Are there any tricks or procedures I need to be aware of to fit the wrap round windshield of my 62?

Is it simply a case of fitting the new rubber to the glass and a cord inside the inner lip then fitting it from the outside?

Id appreciate any advice as this is one bit of glass I dont want to break. Dont want to think what it could cost me to have one shipped to Scotland!
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Windshield Refitting

There are several threads and videos on this forum and YouTube that cover the windshield installation. You can also peruse the Precision site: https://www.prp.com

One suggestion that I have regarding putting the cab back on the chassis, is I would wait to install the windshield after securely mounting the cab on the frame. The cab is quite a bit forward heavy to begin with...adding the windshield just accentuates that imbalance...it can make for a precarious balancing act.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
LT1 Burb

I would borrow or buy a pair of suction cups, use lots of tape and a 1/4" cord and just go slow and methodical. I would use 2 guys putting gentle pressure on outside and you on inside with a suction cup pulling.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
Mackie

I'm pretty hardcore DIY but I think when I'm ready to do mine I'll farm it out to an autoglass shop. Posts I've read say our kneeknockers are tricky and break easily. Also that you want the oldest guy in the shop. QUALITY gasket's a biggie.
Mackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
MacQuigley

Chances of me finding anyone in Scotland who has seen a windshield for a 62, or even something similar, let alone fitted one are astronomical.

I'm afraid DIY is likely my only option.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuigley View Post
Chances of me finding anyone in Scotland who has seen a windshield for a 62, or even something similar, let alone fitted one are astronomical.

I'm afraid DIY is likely my only option.
I have had my 65 windshield in and out 4 times in the last 2 weeks, and it has the stainless trim. Go buy the tools on Amazon and DIY, its not that hard, just slow and steady.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #7
Heater63

I just had mine done by the local glass shop, and they have done them for decades.
1. He likes the gaskets from LMC now.
2. I had a Precision brand gasket, it was good, but not perfect.
3. Yes to the rope to install.
4. Put the gasket on the glass first, you need good suction cup handles, 1-2 helpers, spray on glass cleaner for lube, the glazier hand tools, and experience. 30 minutes for an experienced installer.
Watch YouTube.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
The Rocknrod

Precision has a video on this for the 64-66 but it does help: https://youtu.be/zA8sX1KR6J0
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

this is a good thread on the install:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568864
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
The Rocknrod

Tools you may want to consider:

Old 02-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Crazy Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Precision has a video on this for the 64-66 but it does help: https://youtu.be/zA8sX1KR6J0
I'll be taking mine in, about the time they're working on the chrome is the time I'll pick it up and slam it on the ground and set it on fire in frustration. Though without the chrome it looks easier than I thought it would be.
Crazy Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Rusty View Post
... about the time they're working on the chrome is the time I'll pick it up and slam it on the ground and set it on fire in frustration. ...
I hear ya.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #13
Lineman

I helped Duallyjams do mine in my 64 with chrome trim. He helped me out of a tight spot and it was cool to do it, a 63 is the next level up.

I would say Heater63 put you on it, we had a Steele rubber gasket that I think helped and a local glass guy showed me a sealant type stuff he uses for installs that helps them slide in and seal up, it was in a caulk gun and it looked messy but a great idea.

Like I said if it wasn't for Duallyjams I don't think I would have got it figured out. I really helps to have done one or seen one done. I would say you need at least two people to work and one to cuss and drink beer.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:01 AM   #14
MacQuigley

Sorry for the late reply's guy's but Ive been having internet issues this week. Actually thought Id been able to reply last night but for some reason my post isn't there.

Thanks for all the advice and the links. I'll likely have a go at this on Saturday after I put the cab on the frame. Id really like to get this done so the glass is out the way.

On a different but glass related matter, I'm also going to be putting the rear glass back in. I'm not putting the standard glass back, rather a sliding window. Am I correct to say that, from the below picture the frame slots into the upper grove and the lower grove goes over the lip on the cab?

Old 02-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #15
BabyBlue64

I used to put some tire grease ( that you use when you put a tire on a rim) on the grove that goes on the lip of the cab. Works much easier.
BabyBlue64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #16
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuigley View Post
Sorry for the late reply's guy's but Ive been having internet issues this week. Actually thought Id been able to reply last night but for some reason my post isn't there.

Thanks for all the advice and the links. I'll likely have a go at this on Saturday after I put the cab on the frame. Id really like to get this done so the glass is out the way.

On a different but glass related matter, I'm also going to be putting the rear glass back in. I'm not putting the standard glass back, rather a sliding window. Am I correct to say that, from the below picture the frame slots into the upper grove and the lower grove goes over the lip on the cab?

Yes, and then the bead lock goes in, I just did my rear window on the weekend. It took a while but slow and steady, the corners you have to be careful, lots of lube or the gasket will rip. I paid a glass guy to do mine, he ripped the gasket so I did it myself.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #17
MASTERBrian

Wish you luck. I'd like to pull mine to fix a rust spot and then install it back in.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote