The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
only126db

Dash Bezel Differences....Will It Fit?

Does anyone know if a '75-77 bezel will fit a 1985?

The difference in price for new is quite substantial.

As long as the screws line up and the gauges line up everything else could be reworked.

Does anyone know or have they tried to make this work?
only126db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: Dash Bezel Differences....Will It Fit?

it will fit but u will the dash for 73-80
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
TKCR

If you have the correct dash in the 85 truck, then no.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
wilkin250r

I spent several hours at a local Pick-N-Pull one day testing the dashboard swaps.

Now, I have to admit I never looked at the particular combination you're asking, a 75 bezel and an 85 dash, but I DID look at the opposite combo, a 85 bezel and a 75 dash. If I recall correctly, this combo did indeed mount fine, but it left a very unsightly gap around the bezel, just plain ugly.

However, in the many discussions that followed, a few people did say the combo you're asking about, the 75 bezel and 85 dash, looked acceptable.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:18 AM   #5
only126db

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin250r View Post
I spent several hours at a local Pick-N-Pull one day testing the dashboard swaps.

Now, I have to admit I never looked at the particular combination you're asking, a 75 bezel and an 85 dash, but I DID look at the opposite combo, a 85 bezel and a 75 dash. If I recall correctly, this combo did indeed mount fine, but it left a very unsightly gap around the bezel, just plain ugly.

However, in the many discussions that followed, a few people did say the combo you're asking about, the 75 bezel and 85 dash, looked acceptable.
Ok, maybe I will get lucky and my local wrecking yard will have some good pieces, however our local spots are very small.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

As wilkin250r said, an 81+ bezel leaves a rather unsightly gap when placed up against a 73-80 dash pad. But when going the other way around, the 81+ dash pad overhangs the top of the bezel enough that it shouldn't look too bad.

Another issue to deal with is going to be the headlight switch location. When GM moved the wiper switch onto the steering column, they also moved the headlight switch up just a little higher on the dash. That will prevent it from lining up with the hole in an earlier year bezel. You could probably fix that issue by drilling a new hole in the metal dash structure and moving the headlight switch back down to the earlier location. And of course you'll be left with an unused wiper switch opening in the older bezel.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:24 PM   #7
only126db

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
As wilkin250r said, an 81+ bezel leaves a rather unsightly gap when placed up against a 73-80 dash pad. But when going the other way around, the 81+ dash pad overhangs the top of the bezel enough that it shouldn't look too bad.

Another issue to deal with is going to be the headlight switch location. When GM moved the wiper switch onto the steering column, they also moved the headlight switch up just a little higher on the dash. That will prevent it from lining up with the hole in an earlier year bezel. You could probably fix that issue by drilling a new hole in the metal dash structure and moving the headlight switch back down to the earlier location. And of course you'll be left with an unused wiper switch opening in the older bezel.
An unused opening wouldnt kill me, I have some plastic from stereo kits that I could use to cover something like that. I have a few yards around me it seems, more than I knew of so I may be able to find what I need, but if notit seems I have a good amount of choices.

thx everyone
Old 02-09-2017, 03:54 AM   #8
El Dorado Jim

you need the dash and bezel, have done this swap, put a 70's dash and bezel in a 81 suburban
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #9
only126db

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
you need the dash and bezel, have done this swap, put a 70's dash and bezel in a 81 suburban
I think you may have thought I meant leaving the bezel off totally, no, I meant using a bezel that had a slot which was misaligned and fabing up a cover for the slot with some abs.

Either way, the guy brought me the bezel for the truck so I have one...

Saturday is supposed to 37 and I have the day off so I may spend some time in my garage.