The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
nastety92

Plug and Play Wiring Harness

I'm putting a 5.3 out of a 04 Suburban in my 67 Suburban. I'm looking for a engine wiring harness that will have all of the factory plugs for the 5.3 motor and have a fuse box and wiring so I can tie in the lights and everything original and stock on the 67. Who makes something like that for a reasonable price?

I'm also looking for a new harness not a repin of an original harness.

Thanks,
Nick
nastety92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Overdriven

Re: Plug and Play Wiring Harness

A one stop, everything integrated solution does sound nice, but it doesn't appear to exist. From what I can tell the stock LS engine harness is separate from the main body wiring harness. Depending on the year different modules are added to the engine harness. Either way I haven't seen an aftermarket engine harness that wasn't just a standalone harness for the engine. The Painless Performance LS harness seems to be the most complete (or at least centralized compared to others) with a 10 circuit fuse block that includes relays for ignition, fuel pump and fan. Of course some of those 10 circuits are for ignition, fuel pump, fan, etc. How many extra circuits there are for things like lights and wipers is unknown. Maybe you can get away with not adding another fuse block and harness in a simple vehicle depending on how things are grouped together in the fuse block. It's a little hard to tell from the website description though.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
nastety92

Thanks for the reply. I've seen that one but I was looking for something a little more complete. I looked at a few others that looked more complete but they wanted close to $1000 for them.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
Overdriven

Well making a PNP engine harness is easy, same with body harness. Putting them together is a custom operation as they can't easily account for every engine combination for a particular body style in a mass production setting.

Just curious, you into RC? Think I've seen that screen name around some RC sites like RC-M and rctech
Old 02-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
nastety92

Yes sir that is me. I've been on rc-monster.com and a few other sites as well.

I like anything with wheels really, lol.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastety92 View Post
I like anything with wheels really, lol.
That's usually the case and the toys just get bigger and more expensive as we get older! Lol
Old 02-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

My engine harness was done by FuelInjectionConnection. Aside from the body wiring (which I chose to fully redo anyway do ditch certain things and add others), it was only 4-5 wires to connect.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
nastety92

Thank you Br3w City, I just sent them an e-mail. Any idea what you paid for yours? Also, which engine did you use?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 02-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
LS short box

I've used Howell Fuel Injection for a half dozen harnesses. I buy the computer from them also set up for either a 4L60E if I'm running an auto or set up for a stick if I'm running a manual. They have worked well.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #10
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
A one stop, everything integrated solution does sound nice, but it doesn't appear to exist. From what I can tell the stock LS engine harness is separate from the main body wiring harness. Depending on the year different modules are added to the engine harness. Either way I haven't seen an aftermarket engine harness that wasn't just a standalone harness for the engine. The Painless Performance LS harness seems to be the most complete (or at least centralized compared to others) with a 10 circuit fuse block that includes relays for ignition, fuel pump and fan. Of course some of those 10 circuits are for ignition, fuel pump, fan, etc. How many extra circuits there are for things like lights and wipers is unknown. Maybe you can get away with not adding another fuse block and harness in a simple vehicle depending on how things are grouped together in the fuse block. It's a little hard to tell from the website description though.
I have used Howell Engine Dev. for my engine and trans harness and they are a true PNP for the Engine and Trans. 5.3 & 4L60E

The lights and starter oil & temp. you will use your stock truck wiring the speedo is a different story, there are options!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #11
nastety92

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
I have used Howell Engine Dev. for my engine and trans harness and they are a true PNP for the Engine and Trans. 5.3 & 4L60E

The lights and starter oil & temp. you will use your stock truck wiring the speedo is a different story, there are options!
Thank you, I just sent them an e-mail about their wiring harness.

Nick
Old 02-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
nastety92

Thanks for all of the help guys. So now I'm trying to decide between HowellEFI.com and FuelInjectionConnection.com.

They both seem to be selling the same product but I really can't tell the difference other than the price.

Howell EFI is $650 for the complete wiring harness, it includes an all new harness with connectors, obdII port, check engine light, ecm and you send in your core. Plus $200 to reprogram the old ecm. $850 total.

Fuel Injection Connection is $590 for the harness and $100 to reprogram the ecm. So $690 total. It seems like the Fuel Injection Connection's harness has the same options as the Howell.

My guess is that the same harness comes from the same company and these companies are just reselling it not making it themselves.

I know people in this thread have you used both. Why should I spend the extra money to go with Howell EFI? I spoke to Matt Howell yesterday and he seems very accommodating and easy to work with. I only e-mailed fuel injection connection I did not speak with them.

Nick
Old 02-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
72MARIO

I would like to see a detailed photo od the fuse blocks. Fuel injection connection looks to use just standard non weather proof blocks. Painless definitely has a sealed unit I havent looked at howell yet I need to read up on dirty Larry's builds I remember he used Howell and cant remember what the issue was..there was a problem.with harness or program/tune in the pcm
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #14
LS short box

Keep in mind the tune from all the harness suppliers is going to an "estimate" for your engine and trans combo. I've had mine chassis dyno tuned after I got the project completed with the exception of one that is a stock LS1/4L60E combo. There I went with Tunes by Frost mail order tune. I sent the computer and all the details of the car to him and he sent it back and it seems to be spot on.

One of the things I like about the Howell harness is that they use the braided type wire covering. I don't like the plastic convoluted wire covering that some harness builders supply. I think it looks cheap. Just my .02.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #15
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MARIO View Post
I would like to see a detailed photo od the fuse blocks. Fuel injection connection looks to use just standard non weather proof blocks.
The one I got was modular, like it could be seperated into 2 "trunks". Never seen one like it, but it worked great for the last 5ish years.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #16
68basket

i really like bp automotive harnesses.
68basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #17
darrellyates

Quote:
Thanks for all of the help guys. So now I'm trying to decide between HowellEFI.com and FuelInjectionConnection.com.

They both seem to be selling the same product but I really can't tell the difference other than the price.

Howell EFI is $650 for the complete wiring harness, it includes an all new harness with connectors, obdII port, check engine light, ecm and you send in your core. Plus $200 to reprogram the old ecm. $850 total.

Fuel Injection Connection is $590 for the harness and $100 to reprogram the ecm. So $690 total. It seems like the Fuel Injection Connection's harness has the same options as the Howell.

My guess is that the same harness comes from the same company and these companies are just reselling it not making it themselves.

I know people in this thread have you used both. Why should I spend the extra money to go with Howell EFI? I spoke to Matt Howell yesterday and he seems very accommodating and easy to work with. I only e-mailed fuel injection connection I did not speak with them.

Nick
I got mine from RCI in Huntsville AL. They use a smaller computer than the stock GM unit, although it's made by GM as well. Think it's an "E38" computer? No anti theft, just a bunch less stuff. I think my complete harness was $645. The computers were $300 for the ECU, and $75 for the TCU. Very simple to install and hook up. Supposedly easy to program, although I'm not there yet.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #18
sprint_9

I got one from BP Automotive as well. I thought Bill was great to work with when he first built my harness and again later on when I have had questions.

I thought he offered a little better looking fuse/relay block than the others I looked at, but I never looked at the two you are considering, I got my harness about a year ago.

I think my body harness is AAW.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #19
nastety92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post
I got one from BP Automotive as well. I thought Bill was great to work with when he first built my harness and again later on when I have had questions.

I thought he offered a little better looking fuse/relay block than the others I looked at, but I never looked at the two you are considering, I got my harness about a year ago.

I think my body harness is AAW.
Do you remember what you paid for your BP harness and computer reprogram?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 02-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #20
DjS71

Reasonably sure that this is what you were after: Painless 60617

Never used a Painless product but I've heard that their moniker does not apply to their pricing... Summit/Jegs $1450

My unfinished project has 600ish in the engine harness, and it'd be another 500ish for an AAW chassis update harness, so with the both of them tied in, it might not be too outlandish for some
Old 02-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #21
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjS71 View Post
Reasonably sure that this is what you were after: Painless 60617

Never used a Painless product but I've heard that their moniker does not apply to their pricing... Summit/Jegs $1450

My unfinished project has 600ish in the engine harness, and it'd be another 500ish for an AAW chassis update harness, so with the both of them tied in, it might not be too outlandish for some
I do like the covering on the Howell, but I think I paid extra for the woven plastic, much easier to hide!
The fuse block was very small, like 6 fuses and the fan and pump relays were seperated in the harness and mounted else ware (out of sight but accesable)
A two wire hook up to get the engine started 12VDC constant and 12VDC switched
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
sprint_9

Quote:
Do you remember what you paid for your BP harness and computer reprogram?

Thanks,
Nick
Around 650 I think, but that was during black friday. I was going to use 150tunes.com for programming, but I ended up needing hp tuners for another vehicle so I now plan on doing it myself.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #23
72MARIO

Does anyone make a harness to exit the same place on the engine as OE under the intake cover ?

I talked to Bill at BP and his harness design exits at the back of the intake fuel rail. He is able to make one as OE but its a custom harness and more money.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote