The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2017, 01:03 AM   #1
izzy_Britton

Engine Run/Test Stand Fuel Cell

I sold a 4.8 engine from a 2005 silverado couple months back that came from a running truck. the truck was upgraded with a lower mileage 5.3. the buyer wanted it for a hot rod swap. so anyways the guy who bought the engine swears i sold him bunk and that the engine has a rod knock and a flat cam. seems very unlikely since i know exactly where the engine came from and the owner of the truck drove it every day to work.

Now i have decided that this will never happen again and i want to build an engine run/test stand.

I have been toying around with this idea for some time but have never decided to actually do this until NOW. I have some probably less than perfect ideas in my head how i want to go about building it. Basically i want to build the stand as if it was a front of a truck with engine mounts and parts where they would be, with a 'dash' board and a firewall (probably made from plywood). I would like to build this stand obviously as mentioned to run and test some of my engines, as well as for wire harness fabrication. since i am in the mood to build it mostly correctly as per it would go into my truck. i would like to also set up the fuel system in the same style as my truck and therefore would like to have a fuel cell with a GM style drop in sending unit.

The problem i am having with this plan is that i am unable to locate a small 3-5 gallon fuel cell that has a stock-ish style GM drop in fuel sending option. I am anti-frame rail fuel pump so drop is in what i am running in my truck.

a couple years ago i ran across a website where a guy was putting a corvette (everything) fuel pump in a MG midget and was using a gm sending unit in a TINY 1 or 2 gallon fuel cell as a transfer tank. I am unable to locate that website and was wondering if anyone has ever seen such a thing or would know where to go about getting one?

I could also build a tank but again i am unable to locate all the proper fittings to use the drop in sending unit in home made/custom tank.

any help would be appreciated.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote