The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
KriegsReich

Running lights and brake light issues

I'm not even sure where to start. I bought the truck a few weeks back, and immediately noticed the rats nest of wires in the dash. There's been a lot of wiring done with stereos it looks like. And instead of taking the unused wired out, they just cut them and left them. It currently has a cheap CD player in it.

The heater controls (non a/c) have been spliced into a lightswitch (like the ones in your house) and it's obvious they were plugging it into the unfused ign. feed on the fusebox to run it. When I say the heater controls, what I mean is it appears they bypassed the actual control panel and have it running off of this light switch. When it it plugged into the fusebox I can get my front blinkers and running lights (including the two on the sides) to work, along with my rear passenger blinker. No running lights in the back or brakes whatsoever.

Other than that nothing is out of the ordinary by just looking. I've traced the wires and everything is plugged into something. I've done my best to look at the diagram and match things up but it's come to a point where I'm throwing my hands in the air. I see a few problems but I have no idea where to start.

Do the lights normally feed with the heater wires? I can get pictures of what's going on if necessary.

A friend told me to start checking grounds and I'm going to clean the two side running lights in the back because they are corroded to hell. Here are some pictures of the tail connections and a mystery wire... pretty sure the bigger one is stock and they've replaced the other. I have no clue what this little mystery guy is...

Anyone know what this is supposed to be?

And why are these different? My guess is the driver's side is something someone has spliced in.

Driver's side

Passenger's side
[/QUOTE]
KriegsReich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Running lights and brake light issues

Check the Electrical Section for our rigs. There are wiring diagrams in there to put everything back to stock or working properly.

I would start with the turn signal indicator in your steering column if you cannot get juice to your brake lights, Its a pretty common thing.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
KriegsReich

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Check the Electrical Section for our rigs. There are wiring diagrams in there to put everything back to stock or working properly.

I would start with the turn signal indicator in your steering column if you cannot get juice to your brake lights, Its a pretty common thing.

I checked out the Electrical section but it lead me to the same place I already was... Also since I read your reply I took off the wheel and got the switch out. any visuals I should look for to see if it's bad? Or is this more of a trial and error thing?
KriegsReich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Cesar Diaz

I am having similar problems, I have front side markers and parking lights working, flashers and turn signals also but nothing in the rear, no tail lights, not blinkers, no flashers and no rear side markers. Ive checked the wires going from the front to the rear and none of the 4 have any power. FUse is good, I even disconected the brake switch and jumped the connectors to see if the brake lights would come on and no luck. Ive grounded with a 12" battery cable the frame to the bed, the cab to the block and the engine block to the frame.

Im stumped. Light switch is also new.

As for your first picture, if that connector is near the rear bumper it goes to the license plate light if i'm not mistaken.
Cesar Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #5
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Diaz View Post
I am having similar problems, I have front side markers and parking lights working, flashers and turn signals also but nothing in the rear, no tail lights, not blinkers, no flashers and no rear side markers. Ive checked the wires going from the front to the rear and none of the 4 have any power. FUse is good, I even disconected the brake switch and jumped the connectors to see if the brake lights would come on and no luck. Ive grounded with a 12" battery cable the frame to the bed, the cab to the block and the engine block to the frame.

Im stumped. Light switch is also new.

As for your first picture, if that connector is near the rear bumper it goes to the license plate light if i'm not mistaken.

There are 2 connectors to check to see if they are plugged in. 1 is under the dash above or near the gas pedal and the other is in the rear where it goes through the last cross member. Another area to check is to see if the harness got pinched somehow along the frame rail (usually the trans x-member)
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:02 AM   #6
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriegsReich View Post
I'm not even sure where to start. I bought the truck a few weeks back, and immediately noticed the rats nest of wires in the dash. There's been a lot of wiring done with stereos it looks like. And instead of taking the unused wired out, they just cut them and left them. It currently has a cheap CD player in it.

The heater controls (non a/c) have been spliced into a lightswitch (like the ones in your house) and it's obvious they were plugging it into the unfused ign. feed on the fusebox to run it. When I say the heater controls, what I mean is it appears they bypassed the actual control panel and have it running off of this light switch. When it it plugged into the fusebox I can get my front blinkers and running lights (including the two on the sides) to work, along with my rear passenger blinker. No running lights in the back or brakes whatsoever.

Other than that nothing is out of the ordinary by just looking. I've traced the wires and everything is plugged into something. I've done my best to look at the diagram and match things up but it's come to a point where I'm throwing my hands in the air. I see a few problems but I have no idea where to start.

Do the lights normally feed with the heater wires? I can get pictures of what's going on if necessary.

A friend told me to start checking grounds and I'm going to clean the two side running lights in the back because they are corroded to hell. Here are some pictures of the tail connections and a mystery wire... pretty sure the bigger one is stock and they've replaced the other. I have no clue what this little mystery guy is...

Anyone know what this is supposed to be?

And why are these different? My guess is the driver's side is something someone has spliced in.

Driver's side

Passenger's side
[/QUOTE]

Dangling wire is for the lic plate lamp and the other connections are normal, just have to pull the boot up and out and shove it over the wiring connector
Old 03-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
Cesar Diaz

KWMECH,

Thanks so much after seeing some pics Online I figured out that the connector that plugs in at the frame was indeed the problem, it was dirty and not seated completely, I did not even realize there was a connection there. Thanks so much for the help, this forum is amazing.

CD

BTW there is what seems to be some sort of Utility light underneath the left side of the bumper but I do not have a clue as to how to turn it on.

Any Ideas?
Cesar Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
kwmech

Utility light may be for the license plate or it is an add on from a previous owner with a toggle somewhere or wired into the backup lamps