The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
62 Barnfind

Light problems

I am having light problems with my 62. Head, front turn signals, front and rear markers are working. Brake and turn signals only work half the time and then only one side works or I have 4 ways in the rear. I feel there is something wrong with the brake switch causing the problem with the lights. Today I had all lights working until I pushed the brake pedal with the left turn signal on and then nothing again. Then I hit the brakes again and I only had the right brake lights that would work. Is it a brake switch or is it a ground problem? The truck was just repainted and the lights worked before. The paint shop did remove the column to paint the inside. Any help would be great.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Vincenthdfan

Re: Light problems

My 62 does the same thing and I have yet to fix it.

I have found after much reading that its most likely a bad ground (or grounds).

I've read that most folks run a dedicated ground for each tail light housing and that fixes the problem.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #3
62 Barnfind

I know I have at least one ground bad. I checked for continuity from the turn signal switch connector back lights. I have it no breaks and I checked the ground, all good. All of the front is working correctly and the rear I only have lights no brake or left turn signal now. So I have a bad switch. All the places don't have a switch they are all on back order. So two weeks ago I ordered a new column to replace the old style 3 speed column. Because I was tired of waiting. I hope it will fix everything when I get the new column.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
vince1

Rather extreme I think to replace a column because of a light problem. I would ensure that none of the wires got crossed during the body shop visit. Follow the feed wires back to the lights and make sure they go to the appropriate filaments at the 1157 bulb sockets.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
62 Barnfind

I wanted to change it anyway. I'm going with a tilt and a new steering wheel to give me more room. I also changed out the rear lights to led and it has a new wiring harness in the cab. I pulled apart the light switch and checked the connections. The switch seems to be the problem because I traced and checked for continuity from the switch plug to the rear lights. All is good. When i plug in the switch I now have the left rear tail light on all the time and it won't go out. This morning everything worked correctly for a shot time.