The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2017, 04:12 AM   #1
jojomiamia

Squeaky homework

Hey Folks,

7 days from my trip to LA, can't wait !!

I've decided this morning to have a closer look to my squeaking issue on power steering. I have this problem since I bought the truck (2 months). as I'm going to US soon, if I have some parts to buy, right time !

Symptoms are:

- Squeak with car stopped
- Squeak within end of steering wheel course
- No squeak while driving

What I've found (Pics beside):

- One bolt missing on power steering pump assembly
- One wrong and loose bolt on power steering pump assembly
- Misalignment with the belt (light but real)
- Loose belt
- Small leak on output line
- Feeding hose cracked (will change it but no impact)

For the two first problems, no problem, will ask my 12 yo boy ;-)

But the remaining...

- How to realign pulley ?
- Is there a belt tensionner tool easy to use (Thexton #383 doesn't seem to fit).

For info Truck is a 1972 C20 super camper cheyenne with a BBC402, and I'm lovin it !

Thanks for your help
Attached Images

jojomiamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Jason Banks

Re: Squeaky homework

The only time I have had issues with squeaky belts. I have cured it will a NEW belt and tightening. I prefer the 'Gates' belts. I could not get a Dayco Top Cog to quit, no matter how tight.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
custom10nut

Also, check to make sure your fluid hoses are not in contact with the frame. I had this problem once and it only squeaked at idle. When you rev the engine, the rotation breaks the contact. The fix is simple. From your picture, the hose appears to be worn out, so you need a new one when you are buying parts in the US. Safe travels
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
Jason Banks

It is hard to tell but it looks like you have all the bolts that bracket requires, plus an extra in the face of the pump.

You may be able to get a prybar between the snout of the pump and that extra bolt to provide the leverage you need to tension the belt.

I do see the misalignment you are talking about, but, I'm not sure it would cause too much problem.

I had never seen the Thexton #383 tool. Looks like a good tool, but unfortunately not for this application.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
Coley

...inbound from Paris!...excellent....bring some food with you...lol.
A 1972 C20 Cheyenne Super must be quite the sight in Paris!
I agree with previous comment about that hose looking like its about to give up.
I would get another one while you are on this side of the pond.
If you can, buy and put together everything you need here (hoses? pump? brackets? fasteners?), box them up and get it ready to ship back to your Paris address...then the day before you head back, ship it out, that way you don't have to worry about trying to take it back on your flight and you know what you have....load that box up with spares for sure....it will pay for itself in spades down the road.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #6
clay68c10

I had an original 68 big block truck and my pulley was slightly off, just like yours. It never gave me problems so I never messed with it. I'd say that is not part of your squeak.
I do remember it wasn't easy to get that belt tight due to how the pump brackets work, but I got it tight and squeak free.
Get a pump rebuild kit while you are over here. They are cheap and easy to do. It may not be part of the noise you have, but when the pump ever leaks you'll be ready.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:09 AM   #7
jojomiamia

Thanks for your answers, looks like someone else than me before thought bolts were missin. But if you tell me not, I'll beleive.

First I'll try to put a new belt and tight it well, and remove this 'extra bolt".

Of course this kind of truck is quite rare in France, broken necks on the road...:-) It's well appreciated. Especially the ROARR melody out of exhaust.

And sure I'll bring back so much parts from LA that California land will raise up due to weight loss the day I'll fly back.

Have a great day !
jojomiamia is offline   Reply With Quote