The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
Deer_hunter_088

Homemade wiring harness?

Anyone do it? mines all mangled, and with it having all sorts of parts, was thinking about just makin my own, so i wouldnt have to order like three different types, and itd be cheaper.

Made in the USA, just like my trucks
Deer_hunter_088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Homemade wiring harness?

It can be done, check this website for some preliminary info for your build. I plan on doing my own and attempting to keep it as stock as possible, except for some upgrades.

http://madelectrical.com/index.shtml
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
It can be done, check this website for some preliminary info for your build. I plan on doing my own and attempting to keep it as stock as possible, except for some upgrades.

http://madelectrical.com/index.shtml
Thank you! i plan on makin mine use more relays (like for the light switch and stuff, and when i build it il post a how to!

Old 02-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
drewbert41

I ordered the 9+3 kit from here for $200.

http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-prod...at=Wire%20Kits

It is not making your own but, it is a really cheap and really basic way of rewiring the whole truck if you don't care to use the stock harness. They use good quality wire and are really helpful if you have questions or issues. I mention it cause it would probably be a tough price to beat if you try building it yourself.

My truck was wired like a house when I got it. Wire nuts and electrical tape.
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
dfwright

I would imagine that by the time you buy good quality connectors, good wiring of the correct colors, and all the stock-style plugs and sockets, you won't be saving a whole lot over the cost of a kit like the AAW Classic Update kit, which has the added benefits of supporting both stock setups or updates for many systems in the vehicle, such as the alternator, distributor, etc. Also, the AAW kit has every wire labelled all along it's length, which makes tracing wires later easier.
Lots of little extra features which make these kits very, very nice, and worth the money in my opinion. Let me throw in one extra -- I soldered every connector on my AAW kit -- and in doing so, I found that the wires they use have excellent heat resistance in the cladding, which is very nice also.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #6
Deer_hunter_088

I kinda wanna do it, just to say that i built it myself, and for the knowledge

Old 02-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #7
Jason Banks

I have bought replacement harnesses in the past. On my current truck I have redone the engine harness myself. Basically peeled the wrapper off, cleaned up the wire with lacquer thinner, replaced necessary connectors and rewrapped in the original style tape.

I am about to do the same thing with the forward headlight harness. I was actually just outside looking at it. I have the harness out and started strategically peeling the old wrap. I set up a folding table to lay it out on and get the cleaning.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #8
scooterpimp

Always did my own harnesses, mostly custom motorcycle , but a few cars/pickups. I rewire alot of hi reach lift equiptment for a living . Now if i only had any bodywork , paint & upulstry skills. Using proper crimp & solder tools , & correct wiring. Makes things alot nicer.
scooterpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
Deer_hunter_088

I built atv harnesses, and a few atc harnesses, and they all worked, but that aint a truck lol, im a teen so itd be a slow project.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
cdowns

don't be intimidated by it// I've found that attacking the old add ons first and eliminating the whole jumbled up mess under the dash is a painstaking but a rewarding progect to get to know your wiring and a good exercise to start with go slow with the help of an original wiring diagram is a must to get thru it
ive taken the original manual AND MADE COPIES OF THE ORIGINAL WIRING SO I CAN HAVE IT AND TAKE NOTES ON IT AS I GO ALONG AND ID WHAT GOES WHERE
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #11
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
don't be intimidated by it// I've found that attacking the old add ons first and eliminating the whole jumbled up mess under the dash is a painstaking but a rewarding progect to get to know your wiring and a good exercise to start with go slow with the help of an original wiring diagram is a must to get thru it
ive taken the original manual AND MADE COPIES OF THE ORIGINAL WIRING SO I CAN HAVE IT AND TAKE NOTES ON IT AS I GO ALONG AND ID WHAT GOES WHERE
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #12
Mike harris

Arrow Re: Homemade wiring harness?

I made my own, I reused the firewall connector as it was in great shape. Took the whole harness out. Make sure you mark every connector for bulbs and such so you know where your at. I measured each wire from the original and made it just a touch longer (better to have to cut some off later than to add extra on!) Took me about 2 days but only cost me about £30 (or 40 bucks for you guys) in wire but at least I knew it was high quality instead of guessing what the supplier will send you in a kit) Keep each wire the same colour. There is plenty of writing diagrams about (I'm sure there's one on this forum tools) which I used for helping me order which gauge wire I needed. Try to keep people out the work area to stop distractions, Use plenty of earth's where you can, keep it one wire at a time, and dont forget the fuses and relays are your friend! Also try to keep as much away from the block, exhausts, radiator best you can which will stop the heat cooking the wires over the years and keep it away from sharp edges where is could rub through and short out! Good luck bud!
Mike harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #13
indymachinist

I come from LS V8 swapping Mazdas so I am used to pretty heavy duty rewiring. In comparison the wiring in these 60's trucks is about the most simplistic thing I have ever seen.

I plan on making my own harness pretty much from scratch using as little of the factory stuff as possible.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote