The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
Mgicm

Weird Vin tag

Going to see a 64 c10 half ton pickup that's for sale. Guy shows photo of title with only 11 characters. Then shows Vin plate that looks nothing like the thin ones I've seen that start with 4c. Any thoughts on this..see attached of what he sent. Vin looks like it starts with 1403M...
Attached Images

Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
65shortls

Re: Weird Vin tag

It's possible that the truck has a reassigned vin plate from a rebuilt title. It will say on the title if it is rebuilt or not. If the title and vin plate don't match I would stay away from it.
65shortls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
Mgicm

Says it was a truck brough to mexico..so it's a Mexico vin. They then brought it back to us.paid taxes..and got USA title. Does that matter? Tag matches title exactly. But from a resale standpoint. .I envision an issue
Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
jocko

I'd imagine you'll run into the same issue selling it that you're discussing right now. Some won't care, but it will shrink the buyer pool. Sounds like it's legit and legal, if it's a good deal - it's your call. I'd have second thoughts - but I'd still go look at it. If you fall in love with it, who cares about its history as long as it's legal.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
65 C20

To me the vin looks like it starts with 14C.
The 14C looks like the C in CHEVROLET.
65 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
Ken Magura

Thumbs up Re: Weird Vin tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgicm View Post
Going to see a 64 c10 half ton pickup that's for sale. Guy shows photo of title with only 11 characters. Then shows Vin plate that looks nothing like the thin ones I've seen that start with 4c. Any thoughts on this..see attached of what he sent. Vin looks like it starts with 1403M...
Check the frame numbers on top of the left frame horn to see if they have been left alone or altered. More than likely they have not been disturbed and that should tell you what the truck is.
Ken
Ken Magura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Says it was a truck brough to mexico..so it's a Mexico vin. They then brought it back to us.paid taxes..and got USA title.
To me, it's kind of an interesting story. Who knows, maybe it adds value? It's in TN now? Maybe ask some of the CA guys, since they've probably seen this.
Post your question in the SW regions area of the forum.
Here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=53
Let us know what you find out.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
zplightning

Not sure if it helps at all, but I had to register my truck after realizing it didn't have a vin attached in the cab any longer.... I ended up going to CA DMV, and they riveted on a new plate.

Anyways, they also stamped it, which looks like yours was done as well - I would guess that whatever it is, is probably legit. For sure doubt that it would be caught by anyone at the DMV as being different than stock, but if you were worried about it, I would assume that you could go get it inspected and re-stamped at your state DMV (more stories to tell!)

Quote:
Says it was a truck brough to mexico..so it's a Mexico vin. They then brought it back to us.paid taxes..and got USA title. Does that matter? Tag matches title exactly. But from a resale standpoint. .I envision an issue
zplightning is offline   Reply With Quote