The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
rockyrivermark

Header and dual exhaust advise needed

1970 c10 350 auto converted to short bed
The truck is going to remain stock height.
I'm in the middle of a restoration of this truck. It's all stock for the most part. While the bed is off I figured it's a good time to update the single exhaust.
I'm reading a lot about dual systems that people are having trouble with the fit.
Questions are:
1. What ceramic headers will work well with what specific exhaust System. What have you had luck with. I don't want the pipes coming out ahead of the rear wheels.
2. Not looking to break the already growing budget. Some decent. Non stainless is fine. Don't want it too loud so glass packs are out.
3 short or long headers best for application?
Thanks for any advise and insight you can offer.
RRM
Posted via Mobile Device
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
davepl

Re: Header and dual exhaust advise needed

Generally headers aren't "matched" to the exhaust, so headers are your choice. I'm a big fan of:

a) A full exhaust system that exits past the rear bumper, and

b) Big dynomax mufflers that are silent at idle but roar at WOT

That's what I have now, though I have manifolds and an exhaust crossover and all of that stock stuff too. Very happy with that setup on two cars now.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Generally headers aren't "matched" to the exhaust, so headers are your choice. I'm a big fan of:

That's what I have now, though I have manifolds and an exhaust crossover and all of that stock stuff too. Very happy with that setup on two cars now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
rockyrivermark

That's what I'm ideally looking for. Dual system with headers and exit out back bumper.
headers come in short or long so not sure what's best for what system. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there for bolt on dual exhaust system. Many I find I research and hear they don't fit well and need modified.
I'd rather not pay for a custom system.
So I'm looking for those who have an bolt on system that they bought and what style headers work with it.
Thanks
RRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
That's what I'm ideally looking for. Dual system with headers and exit out back bumper.
headers come in short or long so not sure what's best for what system. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there for bolt on dual exhaust system. Many I find I research and hear they don't fit well and need modified.
I'd rather not pay for a custom system.
So I'm looking for those who have an bolt on system that they bought and what style headers work with it.
Thanks
RRM

Posted via Mobile Device
I would (and did) keep the stock manifolds and buy the Heartthrob Exhaust bolt on kit. You can buy it direct from them or through various suppliers. I bought mine through LMC many, many years ago.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
chevy72blu

My experience with exhaust "kits" have not successful. IMO your best bet is to go on "Yelp" and find the highest rated exhaust shop in your AO. Unless you are looking to do some exotic routing, putting together an exhaust system for these trucks is pretty simple and inexpensive.

As for short vs long tube, the long tubes will make a bit more top end power but on a mild/street engine its not a big enough deal to notice. Shorties tend to fit better, but if your truck is all stock and you arent swapping motors or anything, that shouldnt be a concern.

Depending on what you want to do with the motor, an argument can be made for ram horn manifolds, as well. Sure they dont flow quite as well but they are much less prone to leaks, and I could be wrong but I believe they control underhood temps better, as well.

No experience with ceramic headers specifically, unfortunately.

I'm also a fan of turbo mufflers ran straight out the back. Things like mandrel bent pipes, X pipes, etc are cool but are not worth it (to me) unless you are building a high HP machine.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:24 AM   #7
Troynutts

lowering my 70 c10, not going to drop to frame (not yet) should I get Mid-length headers or exhaust manifold? I want straight pipe with two glass bags hidden under truck. I guess the piping would be the same after the header.
Troynutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troynutts View Post
lowering my 70 c10, not going to drop to frame (not yet) should I get Mid-length headers or exhaust manifold? I want straight pipe with two glass bags hidden under truck. I guess the piping would be the same after the header.
Start a new thread instead of hijacking this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I have never tried a mass-produced exhaust system on my 67-72s. I patronize my local exhaust shop for a custom exhaust run just how I want it. My '72 has a system on it that I had done in '04, same time as installing Headman Torq-Steps which are full length.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
B. W.

I agree with everyone about kits not working well but, I installed a Heartthrob kit on a 74 Chevy short box a couple years ago. It was perfect, required no mods / bends, etc. I just built my own for my 70 because they don't offer 2.5" or I would have used them. (No exhaust shops close to me)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #11
hdff

I just installed Hedman coated mid length headers , dynomax mufflers(got on amazon) and went to the local muffler and had it piped out behind the rear tires. Looks and sounds great

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
RGT

I just pulled the headers off my truck and went back to stock manifolds, much happier
Old 03-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #13
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGT View Post
I just pulled the headers off my truck and went back to stock manifolds, much happier
They're much easier to live with, but they really do hurt power. I have a ZZ502 dressed up as a 427 in a 1969 2+2. It ran 12.9 (heavy car) so decently quick.

When I restored it I went completely factory appearance, so back to manifolds. It totally sapped the power of that engine. I wish someone made a 'high flow' manifold like the stainless header/manifolds on the current LT4, that kind of thing - the best of both worlds.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I haven't had a bolt on exhaust system in quite some time. I either fabricate my own with sticks of tubing and a box of different bends, or take it to a shop that will do a custom system how I want it.

Headers aren't as bad as a lot of cats think they are. Most get a bad rap from the owners reefing on the fasteners and warping the flanges.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Headers aren't as bad as a lot of cats think they are. Most get a bad rap from the owners reefing on the fasteners and warping the flanges.

Gary
True. I run headers on everything and don't understand why people ***** about them. I have never had problems, which I can't say about manifolds. But, I don't tell people they should run headers. I have had manifolds blow out and had them crack where they collect and come in two. I absolutely hate dealing with exhaust studs and donut gaskets...hate it! Pretty much every mechanic I now does, too. Most exhaust guys will cut the downpipe and weld the new from there because they hate those studs.

Like I said, the headers on my '72 have been on there 13 years. I just did heads last summer. I wire brushed them and hit them with VHT. When the one manifold blew out on my '71 Custom Camper while camping on The North Rim I limped into Flagstaff to an exhaust shop. Before leaving on this trip I had custom dual exhaust made up for it. The shop in Flag couldn't get manifolds and could only get El Cheapo headers. I was disappointed my fresh exhaust had to be cut and dog-legged for the headers. Well, that was '89 and I ran the truck till '04 and the headers and pipes were still good. I had to replace the collector gaskets once...easy-peasy.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #16
bryanw1968

I have mid length Headman Elite headers with ball joint collectors. I really like them. Only downside for some people is that the collector is only 2 1/2". But, they don't hang low enough to be seen so it's a trade off. I also have an H-pipe. Might go to an X-pipe at some point.

Right now I'm running Flowmasters and just can't take the drone anymore so I ordered a set of Magnaflows. They're supposed to be quiet like the Dynomax and loud at WOT. I'll post next week after I get them installed.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
bryanw1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I haven't had a bolt on exhaust system in quite some time. I either fabricate my own with sticks of tubing and a box of different bends, or take it to a shop that will do a custom system how I want it.

Gary
Agreed. When tightening start on in the middle and work out right and left. Also use a good gasket.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #18
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
True. I run headers on everything and don't understand why people ***** about them. I have never had problems, which I can't say about manifolds. But, I don't tell people they should run headers. I have had manifolds blow out and had them crack where they collect and come in two. I absolutely hate dealing with exhaust studs and donut gaskets...hate it! Pretty much every mechanic I now does, too. Most exhaust guys will cut the downpipe and weld the new from there because they hate those studs.
Exactly... I learned early on (in my teens) that once you warp a collector flange from over tightening, it will never be the same and constantly leak. Nowadays with the advancement of much better gasket designs and even gasketless collectors... headers are a no brainer and easy to maintain.

I too have loathed manifolds for the exact same reasons you outlined here. I have had more manifolds crack than I have had headers fail. The only headers that ever failed me were because I used gorilla torque on the fasteners. Never had one crack or rust out and break a fastener.

Go easy on the fasteners and use quality gaskets and headers will give a very very long service life.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote