The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
KyleSeal

About to get an alternator... what do I need?

I have a 1970 C10 that I am putting an AAW classic update wiring kit in, with HEI, and want to run an aftermarket stereo (one of the stock looking ones) from USA1 (I think it's the name). My question here is about the alternator. What do I need? I know I need an internally regulated one, for HEI, but will a stock 1973 one work (since HEI was 73+) or do I need something more?

Last question- is this AAW harness going to be able to handle the stereo and new alternator? I assume it will.
Posted via Mobile Device
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
chevy72blu

Re: About to get an alternator... what do I need?

Just how big of an aftermarket stereo?

Back in HS my truck had a 700W RMS amp and 2 10" subs back on the externally regulated stock alternator. Lights would dim every time the subs hit hard. It'd kill a regulator every month and the alternator every 2-3 months. The good news is that they were lifetime warranty at the parts store... they knew me by name

Finally got sick of it and converted to 1 wire (which I'm sure your AAW harness is) and bought a Powermaster 100amp alt. Never had a single problem with it again.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: About to get an alternator... what do I need?

Read this it tells you all you need to know.

I may add though if you do this go ahead and strip the wiring harness back from the regulator and just rune the wires straight to the alternator.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
samkost

chevy72 blu
If may ask what model/part number PowerMaster alternator you used?
I have HEI on the 350 V8 and is currently a 65 amp internal one wire.
I would like to have a 100 amp.
My 72 is having the drivetrain going back soon.
Body/paint is completed and I could us some advice on an upgraded alternator.
Thanks,
Sam
samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:03 PM   #5
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkost View Post
chevy72 blu
If may ask what model/part number PowerMaster alternator you used?
I have HEI on the 350 V8 and is currently a 65 amp internal one wire.
I would like to have a 100 amp.
My 72 is having the drivetrain going back soon.
Body/paint is completed and I could us some advice on an upgraded alternator.
Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam,

I'll try to look for the p/n but I doubt I have record of it. This was about 12-13 years ago, and I swapped the motor about 5 years ago. Currently my truck has a stock LS1 alt and a lot less boom.

AFAIK all GM alternators of that style have the same mounting requirements. If you search for the part on Summit or similar for your year/make/model replacement I'm sure it will be correct as thats how I would have bought it.

A 65A single wire will probably run everything you need just fine. May want to take a wait and see approach.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:11 AM   #6
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post

Back in HS my truck had a 700W RMS amp and 2 10" subs back on the externally regulated stock alternator. Lights would dim every time the subs hit hard. It'd kill a regulator every month and the alternator every 2-3 months. The good news is that they were lifetime warranty at the parts store... they knew me by name

Finally got sick of it and converted to 1 wire (which I'm sure your AAW harness is) and bought a Powermaster 100amp alt. Never had a single problem with it again.

I'm going to be running a USA1 radio which isn't anything crazy, iPod aux and normal AM FM radio, and probably 2 or 3 speakers. I'm not going with any large subs. What alternator do you recommend?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2017, 12:19 AM   #7
lowbucktrucks

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...erence.354291/
a good link on alt conversion
lowbucktrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:32 AM   #8
samkost

Thanks chevy72 blu for the reply.

I will check them out as you suggest.
samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:45 AM   #9
dmjlambert

After reading on the forum and researching the differences in alternators, I decided to use a 12SI alternator for my 1969 truck. Here is one of the good articles that people on this forum have given links to before, good reading:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml

Here is the summary as I understand it: 10SI was the first internally regulated alternator that is a direct bolt in replacement for our trucks, and it was updated a few years later with the 12SI, which has better capacity and better cooling. After that came the CS alternators at the same time as serpentine belts became the thing. You can replace the serpentine pulley with a v-belt pulley if you want to use a CS type alternator and be super modern.

I decided to get this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171668075747
and this external regulator bypass adapter:
http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...s/ca27555.html

I decided on the 12SI, that is modern enough for me, and I liked the effortless wiring harness adapter that was available for 10SI/12SI. Replacement of the alternator was pretty easy. This 12SI comes with a large ground terminal, and I made a small adapter out of a piece of sheet metal and a screw for convenience, so I could use the existing wiring and ground terminal.

One thing I have found out along the way is there is a crazy difference in quality between part store brand belts and Gates brand. I've learned my lesson and will not be buying a Duralast or MasterPro or other $6 belts that stretch, vibrate, and disintegrate after a month or two. Gates is what I recommend.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:27 AM   #10
Nomadicflyer

Hmmm.... Great words, all! I have an American wiring harness ready to go on Miss Olive, and the alternator was reaching the top of the to do list. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 02-28-2017, 02:59 AM   #11
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post

This is why they make "caps" for systems like this..
you killed parts from a faulty install..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:04 AM   #12
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
I have a 1970 C10 that I am putting an AAW classic update wiring kit in, with HEI, and want to run an aftermarket stereo (one of the stock looking ones) from USA1 (I think it's the name). My question here is about the alternator. What do I need? I know I need an internally regulated one, for HEI, but will a stock 1973 one work (since HEI was 73+) or do I need something more?

Last question- is this AAW harness going to be able to handle the stereo and new alternator? I assume it will.
Posted via Mobile Device
1985-1986 305ho powered Pontiac t/a.. 100 amp alt. bolts in.. (correct clocking) just need to swap serp belt pulley to your v belt one.. (bolts on, easy swap) and you just have to wire truck for the internal regulator.. (you are already using this wiring anyways)
This is more than enough .. and cheap and easy to get at any parts store..
Old 02-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
dfwright

I have a '72, with a 350 engine. I just did the same thing. I ordered a remanufactured ACDELCO PRO 334-2114 alternator. Be aware that there are various "clock" settings which move the connector to different locations on the back. This was the model that worked for how my wiring was going.

I also used the AAW Classic update kit - This Alternator and your Radio will both be handled by the classic update kit without any issue. The AAW kit has both radio power, and a "memory feed" input for the radio to keep the stations programmed when main power is turned off by the key.
Attached Images

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
1985-1986 305ho powered Pontiac t/a.. 100 amp alt. bolts in.. (correct clocking) just need to swap serp belt pulley to your v belt one.. (bolts on, easy swap) and you just have to wire truck for the internal regulator.. (you are already using this wiring anyways)
This is more than enough .. and cheap and easy to get at any parts store..
Is it 100Amp or 108? I just went to the parts store and they don't have a listing for a100.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
I know I need an internally regulated one, for HEI, but will a stock 1973 one work (since HEI was 73+) or do I need something more?
I am using an HEI in my 1972 GMC with the stock externally regulated alternator. What alternator you use should have no bearing on using an HEI distributor.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #16
jeffahart

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
The AAW classic update kit is designed for switch over to the internal regulator alt. The kit also does not support keeping your ammeter. So they basically set the kit up for modern dash, stereos... ext all things power. With your setup you don't need 100amp. But you can get one if you think you need it, just not necessary. I put in a cheap 65 amp( or whatever was cheap, I'd have to look at it). In your instructions one of the pages has a big STOP sign. Read that first. I think that is the page(s) that tells you you will lose the external regulator and a few other need to knows before you start the installation.

So yes, the kit will handle all you're asking about. Just follow the yellow brick road. AAW instructions are pretty complete and detailed.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #17
ohboy321

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I am using an HEI in my 1972 GMC with the stock externally regulated alternator. What alternator you use should have no bearing on using an HEI distributor.

Gary
Thanks for mentioning this. I also have an externally regulated alternator with and HEI distributor and was a little concerned. I feed my MSD Streetfire HEI with a full 12V though a relay without any issues.
ohboy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #18
hdff

sub'd

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #19
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy321 View Post
Thanks for mentioning this. I also have an externally regulated alternator with and HEI distributor and was a little concerned. I feed my MSD Streetfire HEI with a full 12V though a relay without any issues.
I have 2 trucks, A] '68 C/10 Stepside w/292 L6, and B] '71 GMC Jimmy K/1500 w/350 V8. I now run HEI on both, and both trucks have EVRs [external voltage regulators]. If you have a good EVR, it won't interfere with the electronic ignition. But a malfunctioning EVR will spike up past 16 VDC at high RPMs and kill the module.
I once ran a PerTronix Ignitor II [+ Flametrower II coil] on the 292, (since HEIs for L6s were harder to find). Worked great for about 7 years in the widely divergent temperature ranges of Southern Arizona. Then one day -- when running on the freeway to get its annual emissions test -- the whole ignition circuit died at speed and I'd have to kick in the clutch, turn the key Off, then On, let the drivetrain slow to about 55 MPH and pop start in 4th or 3rd gear.
This glitch went on any time I exceeded 60-65 MPH. I finally deduced it was the EVR gone bad, but not before going back to point-triggered [stock for '68] ignition for a year-and-a-half to get a baseline. After going thru a few "Lifetime Warranty" EVRs, I finally got a good one. I converted to HEI on the 292 L6 last December, and it's running great.
I have the EVR-Delete jumper [from M+H thru Brothers] so I can upgrade to a 10SI or 12SI alternator, but haven't acquired the unit yet. There's a cool-looking, all black, 100 amper for about $100 bucks, I'm drooling over at Jeg's, but I'm broke right now.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #20
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

This link should be very helpful.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=417872

and here's where to get a cs 144

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...4+alternator&*

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #21
James the III

Quote:
Is it 100Amp or 108? I just went to the parts store and they don't have a listing for a100.
Posted via Mobile Device
I rounded it off. as I wasn't 100% sure of the amp rating..

remy #20268 94 amp
ac delco #3342198 94 amp

Last edited by James the III; 02-28-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:39 PM   #22
davepl

In my truck and several other cars I have always used ACDelco 321-266 (AC-DELCO # 321-266, Lester #7294-3).

It's a 12SI, 94amp, for a 1984 Camaro with AC and so on, and has served me well in all retro applications. I think it's clocked at 3PM but can be changed on the fly.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #23
Mike_The_Grad

Which AAW kit are you installing? I installed their "Classic Update Series " in my 72 c10. Probably the wisest and smartest upgrade I've done to the truck. Take their and my advice and invest in a good quality crimping tool. I didn't use the correct crimper, took me a lot longer than it could have if I had the right tool. But I still did it. Also, I recommend soldering and heat shrink tubing every terminal. I did, it took a while, but I don't have to worry about a terminal working it's way loose, or the inset of corrosion at the crimp. I have a kenwood deck wired into my dash. It's bluetooth, satellite radio,HD Radio, AUX. Input, USB connector, capable. Also kenwood 6" component speakers with 2" tweeters wired into my kick panels. No problems with my 10SI 73 amp alternator and hei. Those AAW kits are awesome.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #24
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy321 View Post
I am using an MSD Pro-billet HEI and an MSD Digital 6A-L box with no issues. I carry a spare voltage regulator in my glove box. Always have with older externally regulated rigs.

I also have a new engine harness and new front harness that are both from M&H Autowire. I ordered the engine harness with the HEI drop. The wire comes out of the plastic channel and looks like a factory install.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 03-01-2017 at 11:41 AM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote