The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2003, 09:47 PM   #1
slow69

windshield install?

I've put a new windshield in my 69 c-10 with no problems before and the rubber around my 82 blazer looks like the same type of thing... so... has anyone put in their own windshield?
I ask because I can get a windshield for 30 bucks and if I have someone come and put one in it's 120!
What do you think?
slow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 10:18 PM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

for that extra $90, if something goes wrong, and it leaks, then you've got someone to ***** at and they'll fix it for free!

beats having to do it again yourself, and risking breaking it. at which point your out the price of another windshield.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 11:46 PM   #3
soleeagle

Easy to do, I have done several in the past and they are a peice of cake. I dont know how the 69 is so I cant say its the same.

'85 Chevy Silverado 4X4
'91 Chevy 4X4 Suburban

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/545941
soleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:44 AM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Around here a new windshield is about $125 installed. That would be worth every penny to me.

Slonaker
Old 10-17-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

its the same basic principal for doin the windshield on a 69 and the 82 blazer, but like the others said, if ya aint a pro its worth the extra $$$ to let the shop assume the responsibility for setting it right and not damaging it. Windshields are one of the few things i wont mess with therye too easy to break and those cuts seem to go awful deep on the fingers

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:53 AM   #6
slow69

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate everyone's input but if it is the same as the one on my 69, then I am just going to try it out. I would rather pay 30 and try it... if it breaks or i hurt myself, then I will spend the 120 for someone else to do it.
I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 10-18-2003, 11:35 AM   #7
Frank-id

Windshield installing

Installing a windshield can be accomplished with some planning.....
Usually 2 guys are required. Removing the old windshield requires 2 guys with one guy inside and the other outside to catch glass as it is pushed out of the frame. After glass is removed all small pieces of glass must be gathered and the rubber washed in warm soapy water. A few tools are required. The most important aid is a squirt bottle with warm soapy dish washing soap.. A small plastic or nylon prying tool is a nise help to control rubber. The weatherstrip rubber is placed around glass, while a helper holds glass verticle on a work bench. Next, a piece of heavy twine or cord is wrapped around rubber starting at top of glass and ending at top. Small diameter white cotton clothes line cord works very well.
Is is sometimes required to use some masking tape to hold rubber to glass on the bottom temporarily.. Place glass at window frame with bottom of glass resting on glass flange. Glass is gently but firmly pushed into opening starting at top. Inside man begins to slowly pull cord allowing rubber to overlap glass flange. This is a slow careful procedure. The loose end of cord mustbe held from being pulled out of rubber groove. With some care full pushing at bumping with plenty of soapy water on rubber the glass rubber will slide over flange. Careful inward pressure must be maintained or glass will slip out of flange and the procedure must all over again. Because glass becomes more brittle over time, used glass is the most difficult to reinstall successfully.......
Old 10-18-2003, 07:36 PM   #8
slow69

thanks frank,
I think the warm soapy water and string would be a great help. The last time i did it, i used a screwdriver and some wood shims.
Thanks again.