The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
CSTGURU

Oversize outer axle bearing 68 coil sprung 1/2 ton

I put together a diff for my 68 as a spare, but the outer axle bearings just drop in. the housing is worn i think? even tried new bearings, same result

My question is anyone aware of an oversize bearing that works to solve this problem, or any other good reliable fixes

thanks.

P.S. first posting, here is a pic of my truck, its canadian so it has a coil diff same as all the chevys
Attached Images

Last edited by CSTGURU; 02-28-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: adding picture
CSTGURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:07 AM   #2
B. W.

Re: Oversize outer axle bearing 68 coil sprung 1/2 ton

Welcome to the forum, good looking truck. If the bearing slides into the axle housing but fits snug (no play) you can stipple the housing bore with a center punch to increase the interference fit. Not a textbook repair but it will work. if the fit is sloppy loose then you are probably need a different axle housing.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
CSTGURU

Cool thanks, yes i have thought about that, its not sloppy, but does slide out by hand.
CSTGURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:17 AM   #4
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTGURU View Post
I put together a diff for my 68 as a spare, but the outer axle bearings just drop in. the housing is worn i think? even tried new bearings, same result

My question is anyone aware of an oversize bearing that works to solve this problem, or any other good reliable fixes

thanks.

P.S. first posting, here is a pic of my truck, its canadian so it has a coil diff same as all the chevys
As a high school kid I worked for a brake shop sweeping floors. I had an axle bearing go bad and dig into my housing, some how they were able to repair the housing with a bearing shim or cup? So it might be worth while to go to a brake shop and see if they have a fix? Good luck buddy!
Old 03-01-2017, 12:30 AM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

There used to be a part called a 'bearing saver' that was a race of bearings that fit further out on the axle from the stock bearings. May be obsolete now. I only know about it since it was on the axles of my '67 K/10 Suburban when we tore it down for a rebuild. I think the differtential shop guy was telling me about them as an option. Then we got it apart and saw the PO had already done that long ago and the OEM axles were shot. This was around the mid '90s.
I had to rebuild the whole differential. New GM axles were N/A due to a strike, so I ordered custom axles from Moser. Reasonably priced -- lifetime guarantee. It also got an Auburn posi. All new bearings, etc.
An engine bay fire downed the Sub in '98, and it lay fallow. In 2010 the 12-Bolt 3.73 Eaton Posi rear on my '71 GMC Jimmy blew out and we cannibalized the Sub's rear end. We were able to make the '67 carrier fit the '71's leaf springs, but the '71 carrier would not fit on the narrower '67's perches.
Anyway I'm glad I spent the money on the rebuild since the Jimmy's running good with the Suburban's rear-end.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:35 AM   #6
kwmech

One of 3 ways. Strip the housing end down and get it clean. Heat it up with a torch til it's about 5-600 degrees. Rapidly cool it off with some wet towels or shop rags. This will shrink the end a few thousandths. Another idea (may not work because of the thickness of the sleeve)...measure the OD of the bearing and try to match up a speed-e sleeve and see if you can drive it all into the housing with some lock-tite. Or like BW said, dimple the housing with a punch and drive the bearing in with some loc-tite green.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #7
Mryan

You may want to look into this..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOCTITE-6801...kAAOSw32lYtHVg
Mryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
James the III

Isn't this a 12 bolt c clip rear.. that the bearing are pressed on to the axle shaft and slides into the housing..??
If so, the bearing to housing snug is ok, it's not a pressed in unit..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
B. W.

No, GM corporate axles the bearing is driven into the housing, the axle shaft slides through the bearing. The axle shaft is actually the inner bearing race. On Dana axles the bearing is pressed onto the axle shaft & slips into the housing.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
No, GM corporate axles the bearing is driven into the housing, the axle shaft slides through the bearing. The axle shaft is actually the inner bearing race. On Dana axles the bearing is pressed onto the axle shaft & slips into the housing.
Gottcha..
Thanks..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote