The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
bustedknukles

71 c10 350 engine will not stop running when switched off

First off THANKS in advance.

When I switch my key off engine continues to run. Been doing a lot of reading on this and have not found a solution, so I am pleading for help. I've read it could be feedback from the alternator. I've unplugged the wires from the alternator and it continues to run. The only way I can get it to cut off is to remove one of the cables from the battery and then unplug the wires from the alternator. As soon as I do both of these things it kills the engine. Just doing one does not. Does anyone have ideas on this problem that I can look for??
bustedknukles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #2
rockyrivermark

Re: 71 c10 350 engine will not stop running when switched off

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknukles View Post
First off THANKS in advance.

When I switch my key off engine continues to run. Been doing a lot of reading on this and have not found a solution, so I am pleading for help. I've read it could be feedback from the alternator. I've unplugged the wires from the alternator and it continues to run. The only way I can get it to cut off is to remove one of the cables from the battery and then unplug the wires from the alternator. As soon as I do both of these things it kills the engine. Just doing one does not. Does anyone have ideas on this problem that I can look for??
Have you changed the alternator recently?
Is it a 1 or 3 wire alternator.
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
Black71Shorty

Sounds like the positive wire to the coil or (distributor if its HEI), is hot all the time from the battery. Trace the wire from the coil or distributor and see where it is hooked up. Could be that it is wired directly in to a constant hot on the fuse panel or maybe has melted into a battery wire and is supplying power to it until you unplug the battery and alternator. Hope this helps.

Coby
Black71Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
bustedknukles

It has not been changed recently but the truck was in a storage unit for about 10 years. I bought it about 2 weeks ago and got it running after a little work on the carb. It was cutting off when I first got it but then it stopped. I did put a new coil in the distributor and new distrib cap. I have double checked my wiring there and it all seems correct. The previous owner had switched to HEI. I can say when I do turn the key to off there is a relay (I am assuming horn relay) rattles when I switch the key to the off position. I removed the relay completely and nothing happened, horn even still blew so I don't know if the relay is the horn relay or not. I just know it is clicking when I switch to off and I don't understand that part. I am new to all the wiring bit and I have to admit not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to the electrical. I'm hoping an old dog can learn new tricks.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #5
bustedknukles

I did look at the wire yesterday from the HEI and it seems to be plugged into the unfused ignition on the panel. Is that a good place for it?????
Old 03-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #6
camtoys1

Does it has a hei dist
camtoys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 PM   #7
camtoys1

I would say you did not put the ground back in the top of the cap
Old 03-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #8
Black71Shorty

If you have a 12volt test light, if not you can pick one up at the local parts store.
Have the battery and alternator connected. Use the test light to check the wire where it plugs in to the fuse panel from the distributor(key off). If that wire is hot, then you need to move it to a switched circuit on the fuse panel. It should only be hot when you turn the key on and in start position.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #9
bustedknukles

I did have a ground wire that I screwed down to one of the corners that holds the coil down. Is this what you are talking about? I will double check it again though because I have been trying to retrace all that I have done since this problem started.
I hope one day to have a little knowledge so I want have to bug y'all so much and can maybe offer some help!!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:22 PM   #10
camtoys1

Its a brass one that goes in side the cap down the middle were the wires go from the coil it goes in the middle hole in the cap
Old 03-01-2017, 11:23 PM   #11
bustedknukles

I will test that Coby and see if it is hot and will switch if it is. I was thinking it should only be hot with key on but was not for sure if the slot it is in was hot or not.
BTW love your truck! I have a 72 c10 that is in great shape but just bought this 71 and I am definitely going to have to work on it!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #12
bustedknukles

Camtoys1 I will double check that tomorrow when I get home from work. Sun has done gone down here and about time for this old man to hit the hay! I do remember that there were 3 wires from the coil. I was thinking one when to one side of the cap and one to the other side and a black wire that I consider a ground that went to the screw I previously talked about. The other 2 wires had metal clips on the end that went to the end of the cap and is where the connection was made from the wiring.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:30 PM   #13
bustedknukles

Also the ground metal clamp was in the middle of the cap. It was all metal. If that is what you are talking about I did put it back in.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #14
camtoys1

Look on ebay this the part im talking about check this number out and make sure you put in back in 231334190080
Old 03-01-2017, 11:37 PM   #15
Black71Shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknukles View Post
I will test that Coby and see if it is hot and will switch if it is. I was thinking it should only be hot with key on but was not for sure if the slot it is in was hot or not.
BTW love your truck! I have a 72 c10 that is in great shape but just bought this 71 and I am definitely going to have to work on it!
Thanks! I appreciate it. Keep us posted, if I can help out a fellow truck enthusiast, I don't mind doing so.

Coby
Old 03-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #16
bustedknukles

I did put that one back in but it was not brass. I took the one from the old distributor cap I had and put it in the new cap. I am going to still pull it back off and see what I did wrong because this problem seemed to start shortly after I put the new coil and distr cap on. I also put new plug wires on the truck but don't think that would have caused the problem unless in doing so i knocked something else loose in the process. Oh well, at least I have the truck running pretty good after sitting for 10 years.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:42 PM   #17
bustedknukles

Ill let you guys know what I find out in the next couple of days. The wife has me laying some flooring so I may not to get back to it until this weekend. I need to find me a shop a few miles away from the house!!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:31 AM   #18
camtoys1

Ok i found that on one i worked on just wanted to pass that along
Old 03-02-2017, 01:05 AM   #19
El Dorado Jim

sub'd
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:19 PM   #20
bustedknukles

I just want to say thanks for all of your help in this. I did what Coby suggested and the wire connecting to the distributor was connected to an "always hot" in the panel. I poked around until I found one that was only hot when the ignition was on. Plugged the wire into that one and the truck now shuts off when the key is switched to off.
One day I hope to have half the knowledge of some of you dudes!! Thank again!!