The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
ken4444

Complete 71-72 brake kit, with disc conversion?

Does anyone sell a complete kit of brake parts for a 71 or 72 C10 that includes everything (or almost everything) from rotors to booster and also converts the rear drums to disc?

I can piece together everything I need for about $1150 but that doesn't include a rear drum conversion. I'd like to think I can get a complete kit, with conversion, for around that price...
ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
onebigjohn

Re: Complete 71-72 brake kit, with disc conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken4444 View Post
Does anyone sell a complete kit of brake parts for a 71 or 72 C10 that includes everything (or almost everything) from rotors to booster and also converts the rear drums to disc?

I can piece together everything I need for about $1150 but that doesn't include a rear drum conversion. I'd like to think I can get a complete kit, with conversion, for around that price...
This place has a lot if they don't I don't know who would!
http://www.abspowerbrake.com/index.html
Old 03-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
ken4444

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigjohn View Post
This place has a lot if they don't I don't know who would!
http://www.abspowerbrake.com/index.html
Good call! I talked to them. Their kit #457 is about 2 grand. It doesn't include steel brake lines though. Otherwise it seems pretty complete. It requires 17" wheels or larger.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
davepl

To each their own, but I strongly recommend sticking to drums in the back. There's no practical benefit to switching and it can introduce a number of heartaches unless you get top quality parts.

If doing rears, don't skim - go Brembo or Wilwood or similar. If going second tier, stick to the fronts. That was my experience anyway.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
ken4444

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
To each their own, but I strongly recommend sticking to drums in the back. There's no practical benefit to switching and it can introduce a number of heartaches unless you get top quality parts.

If doing rears, don't skim - go Brembo or Wilwood or similar. If going second tier, stick to the fronts. That was my experience anyway.
Good advice. I figured that rear drums are still used today on some vehicles so they must have some value. My '92 C1500 with rear drums never had any braking problems. When I get down to the final dollar numbers, rear discs may be something I'll have to do without.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
davepl

If you have an open wheel design, they certainly look nicer. But if you have a closed wheel where you can't see the brakes, the advantages are limited for a truck like ours, except maybe mountain towing where fade could be an issue.

Otherwise you're not likely blasting out of Turn 2 at Laguna Seca in a C20... :-)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Complete 71-72 brake kit, with disc conversion?

I got to ask why?

Why do you need a complete front and rear disc kit for a 71-72 truck? They came factory with front disc brakes. In fact they are very good brakes to so why both are was it you want a bigger set of caliper in front?

The rear disc on my 71 have not proven to be any better than the factory drums in any kind of weather. I bought the

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #8
ken4444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I got to ask why?
When I rebuild a C10 from the ground up, I don't want to jack with the break system more than once for the first few years. I intend to replace every part of the brake system during the rebuild. If using rear discs is an option, then that effects the master cylinder and the proportioning valve. I have to consider the system as a whole. Since I would be starting with a clean slate then I want to consider what all my options are. True, I probably don't need, or want the expense of ultra premium brand parts. I probably don't really need rear discs either. However that's why I am researching this all beforehand: knowledge.

As always, thanks everyone for your input.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:57 PM   #9
custom10nut

Andy has a good point. Up until just recent years, most vehicles had drums on the back.
I could justify putting discs front and back if I was towing on hills or around town, on a daily basis, but for an occasional driver? That's a good chunk of money.
The ABS Catalog has a lot of good kits, but I wish they would show a break down of what comes in the kits, and maybe a price list would be nice.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:43 PM   #10
ken4444

A related concern here, and it's not just brakes, is the issue of getting parts for a given system after a few years. Say I need new pads or a replacement rear caliper after a few years and the company is out of business. Where do I get parts? What parts are workable and not? That may be one benefit of sticking with original-like parts.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:11 AM   #11
ryanv70c10

If I were going to do 4 wheel disc, I would look into 98-02 F body brakes. I put them on my 63 Nova and even with a 70 vette manual disc MC it would put you though the windshield.

Effortless and balanced braking however you need 16-17" wheels minimum. I was able to fit them under 16" rally wheels with some modification.

My 70 C10 already had disc on the front and it does stop pretty good so it's staying that way for now.
ryanv70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:27 AM   #12
elkniks

I installed a CPP Big Brake Kit last year. Came with everything except the booster. It uses GM truck front calipers and Lincoln rear calipers including parking brake cables. But like you mentioned, I am not sure about the rotors. As far as I know now I would have to buy them from CPP. The stock pads are junk and make all kinds of dust also. I am running a big cam and only have about 11 in. of vacuum and they work great. I would definitely buy again. In addition, as stated above, the factory brakes worked good also, I mainly installed the kit as an affordable way to have decent looking brakes behind 20" wheels.
elkniks is offline   Reply With Quote