The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
t300

van tilt parts

Lucked out and locally picked up what I believe to be a 73(ish) van tilt. Sticker on column reads 7827343. Are the parts mostly specific to the van column or are some interchangeable with the 68-72 truck columns? Looking for the white plastic 'pointer' (does it have a cover?) as well as indicator lens for my 4L60e. It was apparently in the guys basement for 15-20 years. Feels pretty tight so I don't think I'm going to disassemble, just a fresh coat of paint.

thanks!
Matt
Attached Images

t300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: van tilt parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t300 View Post
Lucked out and locally picked up what I believe to be a 73(ish) van tilt. Sticker on column reads 7827343. Are the parts mostly specific to the van column or are some interchangeable with the 68-72 truck columns? Looking for the white plastic 'pointer' (does it have a cover?) as well as indicator lens for my 4L60e. It was apparently in the guys basement for 15-20 years. Feels pretty tight so I don't think I'm going to disassemble, just a fresh coat of paint.

thanks!
Matt

I am dealing on one right now, hopefully I will pick it up tomorrow. Not sure on the parts interchangeability but I hope they are. I just read a post on here the other day that said the indicator pointer was available but I don't remember what forum I was on when I read it. It is the same as the older ones. If I find the post I was reading I will post a link to it here.

Don't dissemble it unless you absolutely have to.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:48 AM   #3
FirstOwner69

Most things are interchangeable except the lower shaft, which is about 2-1/2" longer than a truck tilt, the levers, the rubber piece at the dash and the firewall seals. The neutral safety switch is in a different location and, I think, requires a different connector. The script on the lens is also slightly different, but it sounds like that's not a concern for you. The van column can be used in the truck with minor modifications. There are many threads on this such as this one http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=133937. The pointer is the same and is available from most vendors. It is not covered. Below is a picture of the pointer installed as well as one showing the 3 tilt columns that can be used in these trucks . The middle column is a true truck tilt, the top is an RV column and the bottom is a van column.

EDIT: It appears that LMC (and probably others) sell a lens for the 700R4 trans. Would that also work with a 4L60E?
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 03-07-2017 at 03:08 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Most things are interchangeable except the lower shaft, which is about 2-1/2" longer than a truck tilt, the levers, the rubber piece at the dash and the firewall seals. The neutral safety switch is in a different location and, I think, requires a different connector. The script on the lens is also slightly different, but it sounds like that's not a concern for you. The van column can be used in the truck with minor modifications. There are many threads on this such as this one http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=133937. The pointer is the same and is available from most vendors. It is not covered. Below is a picture of the pointer installed as well as one showing the 3 tilt columns that can be used in these trucks . The middle column is a true truck tilt, the top is an RV column and the bottom is a van column.

EDIT: It appears that LMC (and probably others) sell a lens for the 700R4 trans. Would that also work with a 4L60E?

Good info for a frequently asked question.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:03 AM   #5
t300

thanks guys!
t300 is offline   Reply With Quote